NEWS

Stacking BioWare

• 24 Replies

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <09-17-10/1216:45> »
I think this is a typo in SR4A.  In all other iterations of SR, including SR4, Reaction Enhancers stacked with any other initiative booster.  That's the point to having them, really.
Actually its a rule change and actually they didn't stack with anythink in SR4 as even tho they said that "compatible with other iniative boosters" everythink else said that they "can't be compined with any other iniative enchament"
so in practise reaction enchancer didn't stack with anythink. Now they do stack with Wired reflexes(as they where errated to include an exception) and move-by-wire
"An it harm none, do what you will"

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <09-17-10/1305:41> »
Um, no, they said in SR4 that they did stack.  And said they were compatible.  I looked it up to be sure.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <09-17-10/1338:12> »
Um, no, they said in SR4 that they did stack.  And said they were compatible.  I looked it up to be sure.
Yes reaction enchancer says it compatible, but wired reflexes and synaptic booster as well as the adept power and spell version all say that they dont stack with anythink, thats all from my version 1,0 corebook.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <09-17-10/1424:00> »
Interesting. That's a weird "typo" to make, I wonder what they were trying to fix?

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <09-17-10/1508:56> »
Yes reaction enchancer says it compatible, but wired reflexes and synaptic booster as well as the adept power and spell version all say that they dont stack with anythink, thats all from my version 1,0 corebook.
Yes, but Reaction Enhancers do not increase initiative, they increase reaction.  The initiative boosters say they don't stack with any other initiative enhancement, not reaction enhancement.

To get a little history (or trivia, if you prefer) on the cyber, back in previous editions the number of actions one could take in a round was based upon how high you rolled your initiative.  Reaction Enhancers stacked with everything and added a flat amount to your initiative (rating 1-6).  The other reaction enhancements added some number of dice + a little bit straight to initiative.  The crazyiest initiative I ever saw was 5D6 + ~27, with every 10 points giving you an action.  This was back when they frontloaded bonus actions.

With the very hard limit on attributes, Reaction Enhancers are a nice way to top off your Reaction attribute to their racial augmented maximums.  They are NOT worth investing in by themselves, as they do not grant bonus actions.  They only become nice when combined with initiative boosters that grant those actions.

The odd typo, if such it is, needs to be addressed in a FAQ or something.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Beansidhe

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <09-17-10/1550:19> »
To get a little history (or trivia, if you prefer) on the cyber, back in previous editions the number of actions one could take in a round was based upon how high you rolled your initiative.  Reaction Enhancers stacked with everything and added a flat amount to your initiative (rating 1-6).  The other reaction enhancements added some number of dice + a little bit straight to initiative.  The crazyiest initiative I ever saw was 5D6 + ~27, with every 10 points giving you an action.  This was back when they frontloaded bonus actions.

I miss those days.  I liked that system for extra actions and when I was reading my copy of SR20th I was so sad to see that it was gone now. 

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <09-17-10/1617:55> »
Yes, but Reaction Enhancers do not increase initiative, they increase reaction.  The initiative boosters say they don't stack with any other initiative enhancement, not reaction enhancement.
Reaction enchancer is quite clearly called an iniative booster in it rules.
Page 334 SR4 corebook version 1.0
"Reaction enhancers are compatible with
other Initiative-boosters."
Page 342 SR4A
"Reaction enhancers are incompatible
with most other Initiative-boosters."

Magus

• Newb
  • Dumpshock Alum
« Reply #22 on: <09-18-10/1125:15> »
Nope not a Typo. RE;s only stack with Wired. For a while in the first printings of SR4 the RE did not work with Wired, but did work with Synaptic. At least this was said by Peter (Old Line Developer prior to Jason). then it was changed in SR4A.
Commanding Officer of the Floridian Ninja Surfing Drop Bear Pirates!!!

Shah Dude!!

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <09-18-10/1924:14> »
I agree with gun nut in that it is a typo or maybe even old wording since there were no passes. I think when they are saying initiative modifiers don't stack they are saying bioware, cyberware and magic that give additional passes don't stack. Since reaction enhancers don't do this they are fine to stack.

"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #24 on: <09-18-10/2010:52> »
You can however increase your orks reaction by useing this:

Genetic Optimization

Each time a character undergoes gene optimization, he may raise his maximum natural attribute rating (and consequently his maximum augmented attribute rating) in a Physical or Mental attribute of his choice by one point. Each attribute can only be perfected in this manner once.

Like the Exceptional Attribute quality (p.78, SR4), this treatment does not raise the attribute itself—meaning the character must still spend Karma to raise the attribute as usual

This adjustment is compatible with Exceptional Attribute.

This makes it so you have Rea. of 1 base 7 max and 10 Augmented.

Just a way to help give you more if you want it.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/