NEWS

Adept power: critical strike rating

• 27 Replies

Machiavelli

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <09-19-10/0430:01> »
I could tell you to check in another forum for the clarification of this question...but i don´t think this would be a good idea.^^

Magus

• Newb
  • Dumpshock Alum
« Reply #16 on: <09-19-10/1036:26> »
Actually Cas the hardliner gloves do stack it is the SHOCK GLOVES that do not. You either take the Physical Damage from the Hit or the Stun/Electrical Damage from the shock gloves.
Commanding Officer of the Floridian Ninja Surfing Drop Bear Pirates!!!

Shah Dude!!

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <09-19-10/1051:35> »
About this, a question : I've seen a player linking a taser to his retractible claws (not sure I wrote it correctly…), so he added the tasers' damages to the claws damages.
I'm not sure it's okay with the rules…
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Magus

• Newb
  • Dumpshock Alum
« Reply #18 on: <09-19-10/1053:25> »
Nope. He would either do the Taser Stun/Electirical dmg or the Phsyical claw damage not both.

Shah Dude!!

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <09-19-10/1106:43> »
There's a clear rule about this, or it's just the (logic, for game balance) extension of the rule applied to the shock gloves ?
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Magus

• Newb
  • Dumpshock Alum
« Reply #20 on: <09-19-10/1124:00> »
There is a clear rule and I will have to find it.

Shah Dude!!

Magus

• Newb
  • Dumpshock Alum
« Reply #21 on: <09-19-10/1128:49> »
Per the FAQ (if you go by these things)

If you punch someone with shock gloves, do you inflict standard punching damage (STR/2) in addition to the glove's 6S DV? If you have gloves on both hands, can you attack with both and do 12S DV?

You can choose to punch/kick/whatever and do regular unarmed damage, or you can choose to touch and zap with the shock gloves, doing only the shock glove damage (not the unarmed damage too). Even with two gloves, the damage is still just 6S DV per glove, but each counts as a separate attack (Two Weapon Melee Combat, p.163, Arsenal).

Shah Dude!!

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <09-19-10/1139:53> »
Thanks, perfect ^^

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #23 on: <09-19-10/1514:13> »
And this is why I like my rules lawyer he has all the answers for me  ;D ;D :P
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <09-19-10/1601:29> »
Actually Cas the hardliner gloves do stack it is the SHOCK GLOVES that do not. You either take the Physical Damage from the Hit or the Stun/Electrical Damage from the shock gloves.
Hardliner gloves do damage of (STR/2+1)P.  Purely by RAW, this would replace the normal unarmed damage code.  Nearly everyone that I know, though, rules it as a +1 bonus, rather than strictly as written.  Sometimes you have to use some common sense.  Some densiplast along your knuckles and the edge of your hand shouldn't suddenly make your adept with critical strike and ceramic bone lacing do less   damage.

There are some questions and balance issues, though.  Some GMs might require adepts to be bare-handed for powers such as killing hands or elemental strike (although you could equally argue that a glove wouldn't be thick enough to impede a magical aura, any more than a layer of clothing protects someone against a manabolt).  GMs might also, as has been mentioned, want to avoid adepts who get a lot of damage boosts, and combine that with getting hardliner glove weapon foci.

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <09-19-10/1713:51> »
Sometimes you have to use some common sense.  Some densiplast along your knuckles and the edge of your hand shouldn't suddenly make your adept with critical strike and ceramic bone lacing do less   damage.
… on the other hand, I'm not really convinced they help to make more. Put densiplast on a titane club, I don't think it will really increase its damages.

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <09-19-10/1821:54> »
I think it boils down to what you want in your game as both PC and GM. If I had a player who wanted to take the hardliner gloves and add them to his unarmed damage and/or then I would take under consideration. If it helps keep pace with fellow players in combat, then I amay allow it. I would rather adjust RAW with a couple house rules and keep things fun for my group then say "boo hoo no fun for you" and land Lofwyr on there safehouse!
« Last Edit: <09-19-10/1850:34> by Frankie the Fomori »

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <09-20-10/2209:57> »
Sometimes you have to use some common sense.  Some densiplast along your knuckles and the edge of your hand shouldn't suddenly make your adept with critical strike and ceramic bone lacing do less   damage.
… on the other hand, I'm not really convinced they help to make more. Put densiplast on a titane club, I don't think it will really increase its damages.
There is no right answer, but I feel they are different enough that they would stack.  Bone augmentation makes the underlying structure harder, so that you can strike heavier blows, and have more weight behind your attacks.  The gloves add an unyielding rigid surface to the fleshy parts of the hand that you strike with.

Some things I wouldn't  allow to stack, even if RAW doesn't forbid it - combining SURGE bone spikes with thorns, which is redundant in my opinion, or trying to use either with hardliner gloves.