NEWS

Dunkelzahn's Will

• 237 Replies

McGuffin

• Newb
« Reply #210 on: <12-21-14/1829:04> »
I'm not privy to all the details about Feuerschwinge (and even if I were, I wouldn't tell you), but as I recall the German government never recovered her remains. It's also been established that radiation and mana have unusual interactions, to say the least. I suppose it is not purely coincidental that when Pegasus translated Street Legends, two of the four entries they added were for Kaltenstein and Nebelherr, the two Great Dragons that were present along with Lofwyr when Feuerschwinge died.
Man now I want to read that, Kaltenstein is Kalanyr's father right, or am I recalling that wrong?

As for miss Fire Lady, she's in SRR and stuff happens, not sure if it's 100% canon.

I'm also interested to know if the events pictured in the PC game Shadowrun: Dragonfall are considered canon or not?

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #211 on: <12-21-14/1950:56> »
I can't recall, but I know it's been answered. Let me check.

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #212 on: <12-21-14/2301:10> »
And if it is Canon which choices were we supposed to have made regarding the key plot points
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #213 on: <12-21-14/2313:45> »
And if it is Canon which choices were we supposed to have made regarding the key plot points

Honestly, does it matter? Assume you leave Apex alive. Crash 2.0 most certainly killed him. Say you kill Feuerschwinge or set her free to sleep for 1000 years. It doesn't impact the metaplot in any significant way since she has never appeared directly in any published adventures and it's unlikely she ever will. So really, the status quo is maintained no matter what happened during Dragonfall.

And I prefer the canon to be left ambiguous. Since canon is full of contradictions and lies anyway, there really is no way to know for sure.

Sabato Kuroi

• Omae
« Reply #214 on: <12-22-14/0510:42> »
But Lofwyr extinguishing  the last potential threats  (Panacea and Fire Wing)  before moving in to destroy the Flux State and re- establish corporate power in Berlin  is a really nice addition to the canon.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #215 on: <12-22-14/1749:17> »
My mistake. That was an internal discussion. I can't say more.

Stry

• Chummer
« Reply #216 on: <12-22-14/2150:19> »
Dunkelzhn, Zebulon, and Ghostwalker all basically ended up on extended Metaplanar quests. They could only do so because they had anchors to the meatworld: the Dragonheart, the souls stones, and Ghostwalker's body respectively. That is something dragons can do that metahumans cannot, owing, it would seem, to apocryphally spiritual origins. Lofwyr did the same thing in Ragnarock when he anchored his spirit to Tommy Talon to make Alamais think the golden wyrm was dead.

I'm not privy to all the details about Feuerschwinge (and even if I were, I wouldn't tell you), but as I recall the German government never recovered her remains. It's also been established that radiation and mana have unusual interactions, to say the least. I suppose it is not purely coincidental that when Pegasus translated Street Legends, two of the four entries they added were for Kaltenstein and Nebelherr, the two Great Dragons that were present along with Lofwyr when Feuerschwinge died.

If memory serves correct in "The Burning TIme" Tommy Talon visits a metaplan and some how releases Ghostwalker.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #217 on: <12-22-14/2214:52> »
Sort of, yeah.

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #218 on: <12-24-14/0423:19> »
So does Sameul Verner, aka Twist, in Find Your Own Truth.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #219 on: <12-24-14/2116:07> »
No - Twist enters a spirit-prison in Australia in order to acquire an opal to be used to, IIRC, anchor a powerful ritual - one to turn his sister back into an ork, or maybe into a human.  In doing so, he released another powerful spirit, what I'd call a Shadow spirit who took the guise of Spider.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #220 on: <12-24-14/2148:34> »
I thought Sam Verner released an actual Spider totot/spirit; he was trying to turn his formerly human-turned-ork-turned-wendigo back into a human, and he stole the anchor / power focus stone on the spider spirits prison to do so. Berber pretty much went up against half the possible big bad magic things out there.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #221 on: <12-24-14/2212:17> »
Consider that a totem is a concept-construction, that Anansazi (sp?) is a powerful beneficient totem, and that the 'Spider' there was nasty and corrupt as hell, and that he then killed it via GGD magic, I doubt strongly that it was the actual totem - just something masquerading as it.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #222 on: <12-24-14/2344:08> »
I don't think you can kill a totem spirit directly.  In fact, in Street Grimoire it's pretty specific that you cannot target a totem spirit, and often times those that don't follow a totem spirit can't even sense the spirit at all.  Which makes me wonder: how would you kill a totem spirit?  Or perhaps more precisely, what is a totem spirit?  It doesn't follow the normal rules for a spirit at all (can't be bound, can't be summoned, can't be attacked, can't be sensed, etc.) and yet it's almost universally referred to as a spirit.  People make pacts with their totem spirits, they can summon ally spirits that are aligned with a totem, and some other things that seem...  spirit-ish.

My take on it is that the totem "spirit" is a creation of astral energy that reflects ideals and concepts.  This would make them spirits in some regard, but I would argue that they can't exist without people who believe in them.  For instance, Coyote.  The coyote animal is not actually a trickster or anything special.  So the Coyote totem does not reflect the coyote animal at all - instead it reflects the ideal of trickery.  It only appears as Coyote to those that believe in Coyote.  It could just as easily appear as Clown, Raven, or just Trickery as a pure ideal.  These manifestations can take thousands of guises, but never actually enter our world.  Thus the spirit isn't a true spirit, but rather a concept given astral form and power.

Thus, I believe that a totem spirit is not a spirit at all, but it can be subject to some of the rules of a spirit.  If one wanted to "kill" a totem, they'd have to kill the ideal that the totem represents.  Some of these ideals or concepts are rather convoluted though.  Dragonslayer for instance is a hero - how does one kill the concept of heroism in the world?  It's ingrained into the very fiber of our being.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Stry

• Chummer
« Reply #223 on: <12-25-14/0002:41> »
Sigh I hate to even mention it, but I have a feeling the totem spirit is sort of a kin to a religion type thing, and it is sort of a shared hallucination/ belief.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #224 on: <12-25-14/0011:37> »
I don't think you can kill a totem spirit directly.  In fact, in Street Grimoire it's pretty specific that you cannot target a totem spirit, and often times those that don't follow a totem spirit can't even sense the spirit at all.  Which makes me wonder: how would you kill a totem spirit?  Or perhaps more precisely, what is a totem spirit?  It doesn't follow the normal rules for a spirit at all (can't be bound, can't be summoned, can't be attacked, can't be sensed, etc.) and yet it's almost universally referred to as a spirit.  People make pacts with their totem spirits, they can summon ally spirits that are aligned with a totem, and some other things that seem...  spirit-ish.

My take on it is that the totem "spirit" is a creation of astral energy that reflects ideals and concepts.  This would make them spirits in some regard, but I would argue that they can't exist without people who believe in them.  For instance, Coyote.  The coyote animal is not actually a trickster or anything special.  So the Coyote totem does not reflect the coyote animal at all - instead it reflects the ideal of trickery.  It only appears as Coyote to those that believe in Coyote.  It could just as easily appear as Clown, Raven, or just Trickery as a pure ideal.  These manifestations can take thousands of guises, but never actually enter our world.  Thus the spirit isn't a true spirit, but rather a concept given astral form and power.

Thus, I believe that a totem spirit is not a spirit at all, but it can be subject to some of the rules of a spirit.  If one wanted to "kill" a totem, they'd have to kill the ideal that the totem represents.  Some of these ideals or concepts are rather convoluted though.  Dragonslayer for instance is a hero - how does one kill the concept of heroism in the world?  It's ingrained into the very fiber of our being.

That... actually makes a surprising amount of sense to me about totems and totem Spirits....

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.