NEWS

Street Legends Supplemental now out--ten more characters to play with!

• 226 Replies

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #120 on: <01-10-12/2008:54> »
I don't think Damien was one of the first deckers, per se, just the military guy in-charge of the first deckers.

That was my thought as well, which is another reason I would have thought his commlink would be less powerful and his skills in those areas lower.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #121 on: <01-10-12/2040:11> »
Keep in mind, though, Echo Mirage was a long, long, time ago.  What skills did he use to get rich, since then?  Murderfacing people like a common thug, or business acumen, and riding the cutting edge of certain technological markets? 

And, seriously, it doesn't matter where his skills lie -- anyone with the money should have a top of the line commlink, especially since War! came out and raised the bar by introducing all the level 10 stuff.  There's no reason for someone with Knight's cash to not have a ridiculously secure 'link, same as Nadia, Villiers, or Lanier.  If anyone's commlink in SL:Supplemental is out of place to me, it's a long-time corporate troubleshooter like Ravenheart, and her Erika Elite full of 3s and 4s.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #122 on: <01-11-12/1401:49> »
I can't tell about Cybercombat, but Damien Knight would have had at least some Computer and Software skill at some point.
Blood in the Boardroom, Cross Purposes, Game Information, page 57 :
Cross Was a computer expert with the investigative research division - another name for in-house spies - of Acquisition Technologies. As David Gavilan, Knight had worked with Cross on numerous projects for Acquisition Technologies. The two had a great deal for each other's programming abilities [...]
As Critias put it, he probably did not kept up to date on the latest developments (SR really should introduce a mechanism to deal with skill decay).

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #123 on: <01-11-12/1412:21> »
Just because he wasn't dodging black ice on a daily basis doesn't mean he let himself get rusty. If you're an expert programmer, who are you going to trust to secure your personal system? Or if you, say, need to bring in some freelance workers, and want to meet them in person, who would you trust to keep them from peeking into your link? And who would you trust to make sure that no one tried a Nanosecond Buyout on you?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #124 on: <01-11-12/1413:33> »
I can't tell about Cybercombat, but Damien Knight would have had at least some Computer and Software skill at some point.
Cross Was a computer expert with the investigative research division - another name for in-house spies - of Acquisition Technologies. As David Gavilan, Knight had worked with Cross on numerous projects for Acquisition Technologies. The two had a great deal for each other's programming abilities [...]
As Critias put it, he probably did not kept up to date on the latest developments (SR really should introduce a mechanism to deal with skill decay).

Such a system would just potentially cause some of the BPs spent on a character to become 'wasted'.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #125 on: <01-12-12/0304:01> »
With previous edition there was no end to the complaints about keeping track of SOTA effects...
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #126 on: <01-12-12/1700:12> »
I was rather thinking of something like voluntarily getting a refund on skills or attributes the player/gamemaster/freelancer feel no longer fit with the character. It should probably have some limit, like not getting more karma back than the amount of karma earned in the last adventure, or something like that.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #127 on: <01-12-12/1845:37> »
I was rather thinking of something like voluntarily getting a refund on skills or attributes the player/gamemaster/freelancer feel no longer fit with the character. It should probably have some limit, like not getting more karma back than the amount of karma earned in the last adventure, or something like that.

Or perhaps do the refund in BP, rather than Karma?
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #128 on: <01-13-12/2247:00> »
Just because he wasn't dodging black ice on a daily basis doesn't mean he let himself get rusty. If you're an expert programmer, who are you going to trust to secure your personal system? Or if you, say, need to bring in some freelance workers, and want to meet them in person, who would you trust to keep them from peeking into your link? And who would you trust to make sure that no one tried a Nanosecond Buyout on you?

On the one hand, a good point.

On the other hand, he's running one of the ten biggest corporations on the planet. His time is taken up with all manner of things, like momumental business decisions and schmoozing at high class functions. He has his Knight Errant hobby, his bug project, and he gets shuttled around to assorted programs when his micromanagement side comes up. Not to mention jeading a corporate war against his own company, dealing with his ex-wife, watching Nadia, and keeping his daughter in line.

Where would he find the *time* to deck?

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #129 on: <01-14-12/0041:34> »
dealing with his ex-wife, watching Nadia, and keeping his daughter in line.
Knight may have 99 problems, but the ex-wife and daughter are Richard Villiers'

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #130 on: <01-14-12/0045:00> »
dealing with his ex-wife, watching Nadia, and keeping his daughter in line.
Knight may have 99 problems, but the ex-wife and daughter are Richard Villiers'

Knight, always a playboy.  Boy is Villiers going to be angry when he finds out!
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #131 on: <01-14-12/0106:09> »
I don't know what's worse. That I made a reference from 2003, or that I fucked it up.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #132 on: <01-14-12/0109:22> »
I don't know what's worse. That I made a reference from 2003, or that I fucked it up.
The fact that the reference could have been from 1983 and gone over the heads of all the kids here?

Otherwise, that you fragged it up.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #133 on: <01-14-12/0122:51> »
Oh, I took care of that in another forum where I was discussing seeing the original Transformers movie with a teenager.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #134 on: <01-14-12/0139:12> »
Oh, I took care of that in another forum where I was discussing seeing the original Transformers movie with a teenager.
What are they teaching in schools these days???
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11