NEWS

The Official Scoop on Official Shadowrun Errata

• 223 Replies

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #15 on: <07-13-16/0941:20> »
Well Patrick,

All I can say is.... "I wish you the best, and have confidence in you and your team."

Its very true that we have needed updated errata for a while now, and I am glad that you have stepped up to lead a team to provide that errata.

And, I am also a realist :P  I know we won't see much of anything for a couple of weeks to months as just organizing what exactly has to be errata'd will be a huge job....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <07-13-16/1045:27> »

And, I am also a realist :P  I know we won't see much of anything for a couple of weeks to months as just organizing what exactly has to be errata'd will be a huge job....

I'm guessing it'll be a few weeks to a month or two to get the team together, get the processes in place, and then start sifting through a rather large amount of material. I think it'll probably be in the fourth quarter of this year before they start getting the errata out; there's so much to go over in the CRB itself, and that needs to be referenced with the various writers, as well as checked against any changes in later supplements (Matrix, I'm looking at you), and conversing with those writers as well. It's going to be a huge undertaking at first, until the processes get streamlined, and that's going to take awhile.

adzling

« Reply #17 on: <07-13-16/1106:02> »
I can't say how stoked I am that Catalyst is taking this step and that Patrick is leading it.

Let's get this game knocked into shape the way Battletech is!

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <07-13-16/1116:04> »
Echoing the comments of others, I'm really excited to see where this leads. Happy to help out in any form/fashion needed...sent you a PM.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #19 on: <07-13-16/1155:24> »
This is interesting to say the least and should give people like me a little hope for the future of the setting.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <07-13-16/1206:04> »
"Why doesn't Shadowrun do errata the way that BattleTech does?" Well, as of earlier today, we do. I've been talking with the Powers That Be at Catalyst Game Labs, and I gave them a plan, and we're now in the very beginning phases of implementing that plan. My name's Patrick Goodman. I'm a freelance writer, and as of a few hours ago, I'm also the Shadowrun Errata Coordinator.

I'm in the process now of putting together a team of rules-knowledgeable people to help me. Most of the people I've asked have already said yes, though I'm still waiting to hear from a couple of folks. Once the team composition is nailed down, I'll introduce them, but it consists of freelancers, Catalyst Demo Team agents, and a few of you. I've invited a few of our harshest critics onto the team, to keep us honest. If any of the team members wants to step up and introduce themselves, however, they're more than free to do so.

As the next few weeks and months unfold, here's what's going to happen: We're going to go book by book and look over all the outstanding errata issues. We're going to discuss them, issue by issue, and reach a decision on how best to fix them. We'll consult with the author of the section to determine intent. We'll talk it out amongst ourselves, bring in consultants as needed, and once we reach a conclusion, we'll post the answer to the forum. At that point, it's what I call "provisionally official;" it's official, but subject to change in case we messed something up and it needs to be tweaked. Once things have been road-tested here on the forums, and the issues in a book have been addressed, I'll compile them all and get an official errata doc for that book up on the website.

Then we'll move on to the next book. And so on, and so forth. This is not a quick fix; while we'll be able to start getting some things answered in very short order, there are quite a few books that need to be worked on. This is a long-term project, and I'll ask you to be patient as we get things rolling and fine-tune the process.

Patrick Goodman
Shadowrun Errata Coordinator.

This makes me happy.
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

celondon

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <07-13-16/1207:11> »
Congratulations on the new title and responsibilities. You've got your work cut out for you!

I, for one, am extremely pleased that you have this task. For several years, I've seen you post and work with the SR community to try and make sense out of the state of the game. If you're given proper time and resources, I've no doubt  that you can make excellent progress in improving the state of the game.
Skating away on the thin ice of a new day!

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <07-13-16/1221:58> »
I wish you the best.

Just curious, any particular order for the erratas?
Booyah!

Bamce

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <07-13-16/1224:18> »
Hello Boys.

I am super excited for the potential this project represents. I would formally like to volunteer as tribute in helping. While I do not visit these boards often, I am a regular over on the shadowrun subreddit.

As for a few quick qualifications over the passion I have for the game.

I run a small gm oriented youtube page https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKDRfgjt0eJddvOvmIOLx9w
I am a founding member over on the runner hub subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/RunnerHub/
I am the lead of their character creation division
I am part of the rules discussion team that helped put together extensive house rulings to adapt for our circumstances.

Hope to hear back.

Gmbamce@gmail.com

Adamo1618

« Reply #24 on: <07-13-16/1234:45> »
Thank you. This is very much appreciated.

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #25 on: <07-13-16/1250:02> »
I'm one of those GM that use only 10% of the rules in my games, so I was never bothered by the lack of errata. But I know and understand that a lot of players like their rules clear, and that a clean system is important for the long-term health of any game. So I applaud the decision and the courageous step you've taken to make this battle yours.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <07-13-16/1329:28> »
This is great news and I look forward to future announcements!

celondon

• Chummer
« Reply #27 on: <07-13-16/1356:51> »
Hello Boys.

I am super excited for the potential this project represents. I would formally like to volunteer as tribute in helping. While I do not visit these boards often, I am a regular over on the shadowrun subreddit.

As for a few quick qualifications over the passion I have for the game.

I run a small gm oriented youtube page https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKDRfgjt0eJddvOvmIOLx9w
I am a founding member over on the runner hub subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/RunnerHub/
I am the lead of their character creation division
I am part of the rules discussion team that helped put together extensive house rulings to adapt for our circumstances.

Hope to hear back.

Gmbamce@gmail.com

While I don't agree with Bamce on everything (see: Archery) I can vouch for his knowledge of the rules and his experience at trying to hash out some of the more intractable issues present in Shadowrun's systems. If you're accepting volunteers, you won't find many better suited to the task.
Skating away on the thin ice of a new day!

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <07-13-16/1401:42> »
Can we call this The Horizon Project? We'll call the team The Consensus. Patrick can be Gary Cline.

I understand that community resourcing can get out of hand quickly, but I think you'll find nothing but support here. If there are some aspects which require a brute force approach - setting up a wiki or a shared document to catalog potential issues by book and page, for example - then I'm sure the various fan communities would be eager to contribute.

Magnaric

• Chummer
« Reply #29 on: <07-13-16/1416:55> »
Wow. Massive kudos to you for taking this on dude. Obviously the community has been wanting this for a while, but props to you for taking on the responsibility. Good luck omae.  :)
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp