NEWS

Matrix Metaphors

• 2 Replies

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« on: <11-10-14/2116:40> »
My imagination can be a little stifled, at times, and I've been trying to come up with metaphors (i.e. descriptive phrases) for the various Matrix actions that exists. I'd greatly appreciate any help fleshing these out, so feel free to comment and I'll update this post as time goes on.

I'll kick off with a few.

Brute Force
Decker X expertly sidesteps the clumsy firewall of his target, forcefully reaching into the code and placing a MARK on the icon

Check Overwatch Score
Decker X quickly scans the digital pathways around him, looking for signs of GOD

Control Device

Crack File
Decker X aims his handcannon at the keylock in front of him, and squeezes the trigger

Crash Program
With a contemptuous sneer, Decker X injects destructive code into the program files

Data Spike
With a mighty roar, Decker X slices his digital katana through the icon of his opponent.

More to come...

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #1 on: <11-11-14/0240:10> »
My imagination can be a little stifled, at times, and I've been trying to come up with metaphors (i.e. descriptive phrases) for the various Matrix actions that exists. I'd greatly appreciate any help fleshing these out, so feel free to comment and I'll update this post as time goes on.

I'll kick off with a few.

Brute Force
Decker X expertly sidesteps the clumsy firewall of his target, forcefully reaching into the code and placing a MARK on the icon
Decker X expertly overloads the firewall's logic subroutines, forcing it to award X MARKS to him

Check Overwatch Score
Decker X quickly scans the digital pathways around him, looking for signs of GOD

Control Device
Summoning an AR/VR holo-display/terminal, he reaches out for the controller and pushes the drone/vehicle/onwards

Crack File
Decker X aims his handcannon at the keylock in front of him, and squeezes the trigger
Decker X unpicks the layers of security wrapped around the file, his attack suite decrypting each sequential encyrption layer one at a time.

Crash Program
With a contemptuous sneer, Decker X injects destructive code into the program files
His attack suite forces a cache dump, hanging the program as it searches for data that no longer exists.

Data Spike
With a mighty roar, Decker X slices his digital katana through the icon of his opponent.

More to come...
« Last Edit: <11-11-14/0245:33> by Csjarrat »
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-12-14/1342:33> »
I generally describe matrix actions that use attack as limit with words such as obvious, brutal, forceful, powerful, bully, intimidate, spectacular,....

...and matrix actions that use sleaze as limit with words such as trick, sleight, subtle, fool, deceive.....

For example:
When you use Brute Force you force the icon to accept your mark.
When you use Hacking on the Fly you trick the icon to accept your mark.

I try to make the rest of the fluff match the style of the persona.
If the persona is a Ninja then Hide might look like a smoke bomb, marks might look like shurikens, Data Spike might be a swing with a Ninjato etc.