NEWS

Suggestion: Reputation Accountability

• 85 Replies

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #15 on: <02-07-12/2152:26> »
This means:

1. Your hated forum enemy hates you enough to make it his hourly duty to vote you down.
2. Other people hate your posts too, you're not the focus of a single internet stalker.

In the case of 1, I recommend looking in to restraining orders, etc. That's one creepy dude.
In the case of 2, I recommend catering to the popular kids' posting expectations, or reducing how much you care about the rep score.

Given that, as near as I can tell, my rep is going down by roughly -1 per hour, almost exclusively during the hours that said single individual is active on the forums, I'm pretty dang sure it's #1.

There's no way to know for sure, though, which was exactly the point of the original suggestion.

You're right, everyone else should change because they're mean to you.

You must admit, the world world would be a better place if everyone stopped acting like assholes whenever they thought they could get away with it.

Of course, that's not going to happen until everyone else stops telling their victims to suck it up and start calling them on it.
« Last Edit: <02-07-12/2159:20> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Paul

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <02-07-12/2200:27> »
Given that, as near as I can tell, my rep is going down by roughly -1 per hour, almost exclusively during the hours that said single individual is active on the forums, I'm pretty dang sure it's #1.

Sucks to be you. I recommend ignoring the popularity contest score that is karma moving forward.

You must admit, the world world would be a better place if everyone stopped being assholes.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GIFT

http://media.tumblr.com/EfFLvTB7QhawysykuHKtVMH5o1_400.jpg

Oh, and hey, my first -1!  :'(

Paul

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <02-07-12/2203:16> »

Sucks to be you. I recommend ignoring the popularity contest score that is karma moving forward.

And attitudes like this are why so many who were and are bullied either go on shooting sprees or commit suicide.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Paul

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <02-07-12/2206:51> »
And attitudes like this are why so many who were and are bullied either go on shooting sprees or commit suicide.

Really?
Crap karma score leads to suicide?
Well, you've mastered the art of hyperbole. There is nothing more I can teach you. Go forth and spread your wisdom among the multitudes.

Paul

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <02-07-12/2212:01> »

Really?
Crap karma score leads to suicide?
Well, you've mastered the art of hyperbole. There is nothing more I can teach you. Go forth and spread your wisdom among the multitudes.

Paul

Oi... I just said it was that kind of attitude that led to such things. Geez.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Paul

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <02-07-12/2215:16> »
Ah, then I apologize for my misunderstanding.

Meanwhile, I continue to exist in a thorough entrenched position: this is a non-issue of enormous proportions.
But I've been wrong before. Best news of all: it's not my decision. If the people who run the show want it turned off, or want the waiting period bumped to 24 hours, that's what I'll do. With the exact amount of emotion that my -1 score provokes*.

Paul

* None.

Thermo

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <02-07-12/2236:20> »
Ah, then I apologize for my misunderstanding.

Meanwhile, I continue to exist in a thorough entrenched position: this is a non-issue of enormous proportions.
But I've been wrong before. Best news of all: it's not my decision. If the people who run the show want it turned off, or want the waiting period bumped to 24 hours, that's what I'll do. With the exact amount of emotion that my -1 score provokes*.

Paul

* None.

reeks of awesome

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #22 on: <02-08-12/0127:45> »
+1 to you, Paul. Even though I know it won't phase you any. ;)
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Paul

• Chummer
« Reply #23 on: <02-08-12/0816:29> »
+1 to you, Paul. Even though I know it won't phase you any. ;)

Some cash would be nice...

Paul

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #24 on: <02-08-12/0816:47> »
Early in my days here on the forum (Yes, it's FastJack storytime, gather 'round kiddies!), I used to worry about my negative rep going up incrementally due to person(s) simply not liking that I post as FastJack (the horror!).

Then, I discovered the best possible method for defeating the dread negative rep score. Post constructive, flame-less, and respectful posts that help people to enjoy their time on the forums and make it so they seek YOU out for game information. Amazing how that works. And I didn't even have to change who I was. And I CAN ignore the negative rep without feeling "bullied". Because (and this is a HUGE secret), if you ignore the bully, don't even respond to them, then (I can't believe I revealing this) -- they do leave you alone. Bullies bully for one reason - attention. I'm not saying you shouldn't stand up for yourself, or report dangerous behavior (mostly because there ARE sociopaths that aren't doing it for attention), but if you're finding that you can't ignore a bully's taunts (or a negative rep score), then they have won and you are already changing yourself based on their opinion. The only way to escape changing yourself to "fit" other perceptions is to truly not care about those perceptions.

Alrighty, story time's over kiddies. Back to hacking the world's free press.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #25 on: <02-08-12/1046:37> »
I think comparisons to schoolyard bullying and the usage of words like "victims" is a little ridiculous in this context, fellas.  It's a rep score on an internet forum.  What's more, it's a known issue (inasmuch as it's even an "issue") and one with a known answer from on high;  "We can't do anything about it without threatening forum stability." 

Folks have been griping about the rep score thing since almost day one, and the answer has been, and continues to be, "Sorry, but maybe you shouldn't worry about it too much, we can't really change that." 

Bringing up teen suicide in some attempt to up the ante, and demanding that something must be done, isn't going to do anything to stop you from getting smote.  If anything, the vocal complaints about the smite system are only going to egg on whatever sad, lonely, person has their cell phone alarm clock set to remind them to smite you every hour, on the hour. 

That which cannot be changed must be endured.  It's a -1 next to your user name, not the end of the world.  Don't let it get you down, focus on getting more +1 going, instead. 

Or, hell, just don't worry about it at all.  You've got a negative rep score?  Good.  That means you've actually said something on here, and stuck to your guns enough that someone else has decided to waste their time pressing your buttons.  Good on you for having an opinion.  I'm a little leery of anyone without a negative rep.  I think they're up to something.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <02-08-12/1117:51> »
I think comparisons to schoolyard bullying and the usage of words like "victims" is a little ridiculous in this context, fellas.  It's a rep score on an internet forum.  What's more, it's a known issue (inasmuch as it's even an "issue") and one with a known answer from on high;  "We can't do anything about it without threatening forum stability." 

Folks have been griping about the rep score thing since almost day one, and the answer has been, and continues to be, "Sorry, but maybe you shouldn't worry about it too much, we can't really change that." 

Bringing up teen suicide in some attempt to up the ante, and demanding that something must be done, isn't going to do anything to stop you from getting smote.  If anything, the vocal complaints about the smite system are only going to egg on whatever sad, lonely, person has their cell phone alarm clock set to remind them to smite you every hour, on the hour. 

That which cannot be changed must be endured.  It's a -1 next to your user name, not the end of the world.  Don't let it get you down, focus on getting more +1 going, instead. 

Or, hell, just don't worry about it at all.  You've got a negative rep score?  Good.  That means you've actually said something on here, and stuck to your guns enough that someone else has decided to waste their time pressing your buttons.  Good on you for having an opinion.  I'm a little leery of anyone without a negative rep.  I think they're up to something.

Much wisdom in this post. The issue is a nontroversy in my view.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #27 on: <02-08-12/1357:35> »
*snip*  I'm a little leery of anyone without a negative rep.  I think they're up to something.

oh we are...

wait, where did that -(whatever) come from?
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <02-14-12/1906:25> »
My personal stance is that I would like to be able to ask a specific question, and wish it could just be put in my in box anonymously: Why? Why did this post cause you to smite? I don't want names. Names lead to harassment. Whys lead to you realizing "Hey, that post was a little more inflammatory then I wanted it to be," such as my tiny amount of negs.

Wishfull thinking is all
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

Crash_00

« Reply #29 on: <02-17-12/1626:38> »
It's weird, I get more points when I haven't posted recently than I do when I actually do anything. About 90% of the time when I see someone's negs skyrocket it's fairly obvious what they did. Sometimes it's just overly trying to say that their opinion is far greater than everyone else's opinion, sometimes its just being a general drekhead and being abrasive to other forum member, and sometimes (my personal pet peeve) it's ignoring all points of a debate that have been made and posting the same thing they did before (that all the points countered) as though it didn't exist.

I get the occasional oddball here and there, but if I'm honest with myself, I know exactly where they come from. It doesn't really matter in the long run though.  Personally I think that an ignore feature would be far more useful than an overhaul of the karma system (although slightly confusing when people quote the ignored). That way people could just separate themselves into groups of like minded runners.

The real issue (if you can straight-faced call it that) is that rather than just letting it roll of their back, or actually bothering to look for what caused the neg., most people will just pick out who they think sent the smite and smite that person back. Of course, about half the time they get it wrong (because it's always the person they were abrasive too/countered their point/were arrogant to that they think smote them) and start a smiting war (often fueled by a flame war in the thread as well) in which everyone including the mod that tells everyone to cool it get hit a few times. The majority of the negs I hand out aren't from posts related to me, but are to people who are just all around being dicks to other people on the forum. It's not meant to be a "haha you got negged" so much as a "Hey straighten up".