NEWS

[SR5] Hard Targets

• 138 Replies

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #135 on: <03-29-16/1029:05> »
Yeah, I think of it like using Power Attack in D&D. Don't use it all the time, but when you need a heavy hit, you got one ready.
Well, a long range hit, anyway, as the DV is the lowest of strength, bow rating and arrow rating, and the power doesn't change your strength.

Well, interpreted that way this power is pretty useless since using a higher rating bow wouldn't make any difference whatsoever.  I think it makes a lot more sense to interpret the power to mean that when it says it increases the adept's strength for the purpose of determining the max rating bow they can fire without penalty that also applies to determining range and damage.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #136 on: <03-29-16/1819:44> »
Yeah, I think of it like using Power Attack in D&D. Don't use it all the time, but when you need a heavy hit, you got one ready.
Well, a long range hit, anyway, as the DV is the lowest of strength, bow rating and arrow rating, and the power doesn't change your strength.

Well, interpreted that way this power is pretty useless since using a higher rating bow wouldn't make any difference whatsoever.  I think it makes a lot more sense to interpret the power to mean that when it says it increases the adept's strength for the purpose of determining the max rating bow they can fire without penalty that also applies to determining range and damage.

Except that isn't the way it's written, in fact it EXPLICITLY states that it is solely to be able to draw and fire the bow.

This thing sits right alongside Mathemagic (Data Trails P57-58) as "Content written by people who didn't understand base mechanics of what they're trying to expand."
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #137 on: <03-29-16/1922:12> »

Except that isn't the way it's written, in fact it EXPLICITLY states that it is solely to be able to draw and fire the bow.

This thing sits right alongside Mathemagic (Data Trails P57-58) as "Content written by people who didn't understand base mechanics of what they're trying to expand."

I understand that but you're choices are a)put a big red X through the power because it does absolutely nothing or b)apply some common sense to interpret the power to work as it should work.

Personally I'm going with option B but YMMV.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #138 on: <03-29-16/2014:09> »

I understand that but you're choices are a)put a big red X through the power because it does absolutely nothing or b)apply some common sense to interpret the power to work as it should work.

Personally I'm going with option B but YMMV.

I get what you're saying... the isue is it really shouldn't have happened to begin with, ESPECIALLY with Mathemagic.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor