NEWS

Desert Wars

• 53 Replies

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #45 on: <09-14-10/1913:23> »
I would not be surprised if there was a tv show which actually had embeded jounralist following troops in a warzone. Or even worse, a reality shows where contestants are thrown into a warzone or feral zone and survive.

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #46 on: <09-14-10/2021:12> »
What the other Jack said. Aztlan has been broadcasting state executions (they say the person has been found guilty of such-and-such) for years. And it's some of the most watch Tri-D out there. :P
Yup. Urban brawl too isn't really a pacific sitcom, though I don't know if it's really deadly or not, and to see true pitfight you may not have to go further than Seattle's barrens. Are barrens UN country ?  ;D
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #47 on: <09-14-10/2028:42> »
Maybe we can see these illegal media broadcasts in the Atitude sourcebook.

Not only are these probably televised but you can also watch them via the net.

Also even if  illegal in UN countries(or anyone signing the corporate accords) and they would probably try to jam the signals, there are probably too many backdoors in the net.

Heck I'll even stretch it to torture and murder reality tv shows ala Hostel(disgusting movie btw) or Cannibal Holocaust.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #48 on: <09-15-10/0108:20> »
Sometimes players die in Urban Brawl matches, but it's not the idea behind it. Although they don't go out of their minds to make sure people aren't hurt real bad.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #49 on: <09-15-10/0410:28> »
Urban Brawl does have a medic on each team, and allow spellcasting, mind, along with the "trigger the yellow stripe on your armor and you're not a fair target any more" rule. 

I've always imagined a lot of players get knocked out of the fight, down and bleeding...but not too many get outright killed every single game.

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #50 on: <09-15-10/0606:14> »
Fastjack is correct about Aztlan broadcasting bloodsport trids and even though they are illegal in the CAS, UCAS and a good many other countries lots of people still watch them. Probably helps keep the trid pirates making money.
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #51 on: <09-15-10/2120:54> »
Fastjack is correct about Aztlan broadcasting bloodsport trids and even though they are illegal in the CAS, UCAS and a good many other countries lots of people still watch them. Probably helps keep the trid pirates making money.

Ive used this as a hook in a previous game. A certin merc hires the runners as backup when he finds some old chummers of his are being forced to be contestants.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #52 on: <09-19-10/0617:14> »
Desert Wars started when two corporate sec forces got into a firefight about something out in the middle of a desert, will have to check which desert. There happened to be a camera crew in the area and it was broadcast, alot of people watched and the corps went "Hmmm... profits".

It's not just open to the corps, nations and even merc companies can compete. I imagine shadowrunners are used to sabatoge equipment and as irregular assets.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Cheesedapplications

• Newb
« Reply #53 on: <09-30-10/1556:32> »
Re: 5.56mm and "wounding".

The basic concept behind the 5.56mm round initially becoming US/NATO standard is very simple. You can carry more of it. The wounding thing was a nice social theory tacked on back.

All of the studies from WWII and Korea showed that the single most limiting factor in infantry firefights was ammunition. At ranges beyond 100m or so, the ability to actually hit anything drops dramatically when you factor in a combat environment.

So, the NATO guys decided there's three ways to solve that:

1) Fire lots. Lets say it takes on average 3000 rounds per wound/kill. (it got as high as 10,000 in vietnam). If a soldier can carry 300 rounds of 5.56, and only 180 of 7.62mm...you can get more hits per load.

2) Get in close or a good position. This requires moving. And moving equals dead unless the enemy isn't shooting back. So you spend prodigious amounts of ammunition keeping their heads down. The more ammo you have, the longer you can cover movement.

3) Hope the other guy runs out. if you pop and shoot one round every 5 seconds, and he pops and shoots one round every 5 seconds, and no one is really hitting anything...you win by default when he runs out a hundred rounds before you. Or he starts conserving, and now you can move or take well aimed shots since very little in the way of bullets is zipping back your way.

Add in the fact that people figured on having to fight a 4:1 odds or worse against the USSR, and you simply couldn't "hold the line" with the ammo you had for larger rounds. You have to remember, this concept was designed shortly after experiencing massed infantry attacks in Korea, and when it was expected the main role of the rifleman was to hold or take the last 200-300 meters while tanks and support weapons produced the mass casualties.