NEWS

Arsenal: Ferret RPD-1X

• 8 Replies

Nycidian Grey

• Newb
« on: <04-14-12/2107:45> »
In Arsenal it specifically states that the Ferret RPD-1X have variations that come with small weaponry yet a weapon mount is not a standard upgrade for this drone, nor is it possible by the rules to add a weapon mount to a mini-drone.

The ferret has a listed body of 1 and is on the mini-drone table

Ferret RPD-1X (Wheeled Perimeter Drone)                                                                                       
Different models of Ferrets have now been used as perimeter drones for over a decade. Designed as a low profile observation drone, some versions come equipped with small weaponry, usually made up by non lethal weapons like a pain inducer or taser...
...the Ferret has 4 additional modification slots for a slot maxi-mum value of 10 (see p. 129).
Similar Models: NeoNet Janus, Aztechnology IDS
Std. Upgrades: Improved Sensory Array
« Last Edit: <04-14-12/2147:59> by Nycidian Grey »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-14-12/2129:53> »
I looked through the weapon mount description in Arsenal, and I didn't see where it disallows adding them to mini-drones. Now, I'd probably limit them to nothing bigger than a SMG personally, but if you would be so kind as to quote where you're seeing that it isn't allowed, that would be nice.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Nycidian Grey

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-14-12/2144:01> »
Terminology
Size and Type: Each modification is either a microdrone,
minidrone, standard, or all modification. Microdrones can only
be equipped with microdrone modification; minidrones can
only be equipped with microdrone and minidrone modification
; all other drones and vehicles can only be equipped with
standard modification
. All means that the modification is avail-able for all vehicle sizes. Additionally, some modification are
only available to certain types of vehicles, such as groundcraft,
aircraft, or watercraft, as noted.

Weapon Mount (Standard)
If you want to arm your vehicle with a weapon, you need a
weapon mount...
« Last Edit: <04-14-12/2150:18> by Nycidian Grey »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-14-12/2153:32> »
All right then. Of course there is the fact that the descriptions states that weapon mounts are often put on it and that it has 10 modification slots. The description would then be creating an exception in the case of that drone (and any other that said the same thing).
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Crash_00

« Reply #4 on: <04-15-12/0858:47> »
Another case of the fluff description writer not really paying attention to RAW. As a GM in a home game, I'd easily allow a weapon mount on it, but missions I probably wouldn't. Then again, I really think there should be another category of weapon mounts. Rather than just Normal and Reinforced, I think there should be Light, Normal, and Reinforced (SMG, LMG, Anything respectively).

I miss the SR3 days of strapping heavy pistols onto Gaz Nikis.

Nycidian Grey

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <04-15-12/1854:59> »
Worked with the Gm and we decided you could put a normal weapon mount on a minidrone that could hold up to a holdout / taser o,r by adding an ammo bin, a light pistol.
The weapon had to be modified with light materials, no trigger, and electronic firing as well.

_Pax_

« Reply #6 on: <05-17-12/0659:53> »
Then again, I really think there should be another category of weapon mounts. Rather than just Normal and Reinforced, I think there should be Light, Normal, and Reinforced (SMG, LMG, Anything respectively).
Better:

Light (Pistols, MPs) - Minidrones
Medium (SMGs, longarms) - Medium drones
Heavy (LMG, MMG, assault cannons) - Large drones
Reinforced (HMG, vehicle-only weapons) - not available for drones.
« Last Edit: <05-17-12/0702:52> by _Pax_ »

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #7 on: <05-19-12/0757:15> »
Or just a notation for existing turrets that light drones can only mount one-handed weapons, medium drones can only mount non-heavy weapons, and large drones can only mount non-vehicular weapons.

-k

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #8 on: <05-19-12/0906:34> »
Or just a notation for existing turrets that light drones can only mount one-handed weapons, medium drones can only mount non-heavy weapons, and large drones can only mount non-vehicular weapons.

Mostly works... except that there are a few Large category drones that are described as being at least the size of a vehicle... including one that's a full-blown (if antiquated) Main Battle Tank.

And there's also the fact that you need 4+ Body (Body / 3, rounded up) to install a mount capable of taking anything over a LMG.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me