NEWS

[OOC] VU93 Jackpoint Additions -- The Rules

• 11 Replies

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« on: <09-27-11/2218:58> »
We had a request to set up something for players to be able to "add" Shadowtalk to the Shadowrun books being published.  Specifically Street legends, but it could easily apply to any book where there's In Character discussion and Shadowtalk.  So, here's the rules...

1.  To keep with VU93's fiction of being an old style Shadowland style BBS, be sure to use the old Time/Date stamp style for posting.  Please continue to follow the original VU93 posting guidelines and rules.

2.  We'll have one thread for each book.  keep commentary contained in teh proper thread.  If enough commentary/discussion/whatever is generated by a single plot/section/concept, we may open a new thread, but please do not start a new thread yourself.  Post here in this OOC thread requesting one, and it will be considered (and likely approved, but... :))  This is primarily to help keep the conversations and postings "collected" ina  single location.  better to have one busy thread than 20 threads that no one uses.

3.  Be sure to read the ENTIRE thread before posting, so you don't step on anyone else's toes.

4.  Be considerate toward the contributions of your fellow posters.  You can contradict or even say someone else is wrong, but do it for story reasons, not to be a jerk.

5.  Bull (and one or two others) will moderate if necessary.  You remember those "5.2 MP deleted" references?  yeah, we'll use those, especially if we feel anyone stepped out of line in character.  Out of Character stepping out of line is a matter for the actual board mods and the Terms of Service.

6.  IMPORTANT!  And this is an addition and change to the normal VU93 rule...  Since some of the books are very large, we can't cut n paste large swaths of text, and it can be problematic keeping track of what your Shadowtalk comment might be replying to, all posts should have a header at the top in
Bolded Red Text listing the Topic Title, the Page Number, the Column, and the paragraph Number or Shadowtalk Poster you are replying to (and maybe a phrase or reference from the paragraph to help identify it).  Be as specific as possible to help your fellow contributors look up references quickly and easily

Examples:

Street Legends
Hans Brackhaus, p. 96, 1st Column, 7th Paragraph (the Lucky Strike cigarettes)

or

War!:
Other Corporate Interests, Ares Macrotechnology, p. 68, 2nd Column, Reply to Mr. Bonds

We'll kick things off with Street Legends, and open it up to other books.  And while I can't promise anything, I'll encourage the other freelancers and authors to check in on books they worked on.  Which leads to:

7.  Freelancers who have a "claim" to certain Jackpoint characters may post freely as those characters.  So I have Bull, Crimsondude has thorn, and Robyn King would have Winterhawk, for example.  Further, an author that worked on a specific section may freely add in Shadowtalk from any Jackpointer to their section, so taht they can add additional information or reply or add rebuttals to the VU93 replies.  (Jackpointers all have open invitations to join and post on VU93 if they like).  However, they need to use the correct posting formats, since taht's a software thing.  Sorry guys, Bull's old fashioned and misss the old Shadowland ;)

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-28-11/0444:06> »
Crimsondude has Nadja Daviar and Samantha Roth. Critias has Thorn. Both of us have Tintagel since he created Tint, but I ran the Mr. Haughty as an NPC. Then Neurosis mentioned him in Surehand's chapter of SL. So ... Screw you both, I'm calling dibs! I guess I have certain claims on DangerSensei, Hard Exit, and Axis Mundi since I used them in Spy Games.

But point taken. :P

And since we're kicking it old school, I assume The Smiling Bandit has his own distinctive feature the kids might not know about. :)
« Last Edit: <09-28-11/0450:58> by James Meiers »

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #2 on: <09-28-11/0717:46> »
Ha-Ha-Ha.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #3 on: <09-28-11/1314:28> »
Crimsondude has Nadja Daviar and Samantha Roth. Critias has Thorn. Both of us have Tintagel since he created Tint, but I ran the Mr. Haughty as an NPC. Then Neurosis mentioned him in Surehand's chapter of SL. So ... Screw you both, I'm calling dibs! I guess I have certain claims on DangerSensei, Hard Exit, and Axis Mundi since I used them in Spy Games.

But point taken. :P

And since we're kicking it old school, I assume The Smiling Bandit has his own distinctive feature the kids might not know about. :)

Yeah, Bandit can use his old posting style :)

Bull

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <09-30-11/0153:24> »
We had a request to set up something for players to be able to "add" Shadowtalk to the Shadowrun books being published.  Specifically Street legends
*whistles*

Hmm.

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #5 on: <10-01-11/1557:56> »
What's the protocol for responding to a section in the book but not to one of the people who already responded to that section (such as when you had nothing to say to what they said, but you did have something to say to the original content)?

What's the protocol for adding shadowtalk to a section of a book that did not have any shadowtalk in the original content?

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-01-11/1709:51> »
What's the protocol for responding to a section in the book but not to one of the people who already responded to that section (such as when you had nothing to say to what they said, but you did have something to say to the original content)?
Just post. Not everything is a conversation in this type of shadowtalk. People just pop in and comment and vanish.

What's the protocol for adding shadowtalk to a section of a book that did not have any shadowtalk in the original content?
Same rules as anywhere else. As far as I know there are no "locked" sections around here.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #7 on: <11-05-11/0518:57> »
Can anyone add shadowtalk from their characters, or do you have to be connected to Catalyst?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #8 on: <11-05-11/0535:26> »
Can anyone add shadowtalk from their characters, or do you have to be connected to Catalyst?

My understanding is that anyone can, so long as they obey the rules, post to the OOC first, and so forth.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <11-05-11/1050:19> »
As Phylos said, this is for the fans to add their own Shadowtalk comments. Basically, the gist of the threads is that this is after the files and comments are filtered down off Jackpoint and are up on ShadowSea.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #10 on: <11-05-11/1800:12> »
I'm on fire today - helping people left right and center! ;)

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <03-15-13/0539:39> »
As Phylos said, this is for the fans to add their own Shadowtalk comments. Basically, the gist of the threads is that this is after the files and comments are filtered down off Jackpoint and are up on ShadowSea.

So someone actually does that in-universe?

Different topic: are pics allowed on the U93 thread?