Shadowrun Play > Previous Editions

[SR4] Levitate and Fling

(1/3) > >>

Angier:
Hey there. Just a quick question.

"Levitate"'s description says that Objects flung by this spell are handled according to ranged combat rules, just like the spell "Fling".
Does that mean that one could fling objects with Levitate as well thus making Fling superflous. The way I read it it looks like objects flung by Levitate are much slower than those thrown with Fling but the fact that the spell description talks about "flinging" objects made me suspicious, especially since both do around the ame amount of damage.
What's your way to read the description?  :o

Shinobi Killfist:
Yes you can throw objects with levitate but I don't think it follows the same exact rules as fling. I think all they are saying is like the fling spell you use normal ranged combat rules when throwing an object at people.  Levitate is more of a bulk throwing instead of a precision throw, fling makes sure the pointy end hits first like you had the throwing skill.  Fling might not be superfluous but it is totally useless.  Lets assume you got a nice 6 magic, you throw something with a str 3, lets say it is a throwing knife you hit for 2dv.  You would be hard pressed to come up with a spell that does less damage than that.  Any I use special coated poison whatever  plan you have is better done with magic fingers.  Fling is just one of the many poorly designed spells in SR. 

Angier:
It is THE Spell to throw Grenades or get important things out of reach of opponents fast without keeping yourself busy too much with it as a mage. Yes it's uses are way more limited than Levitation or Magic Fingers but it HAS them.

Charybdis:
I don't have the books handy, but aren't the drain and duration on these spells different?

Something like:
- Fling is Immediate spell with Drain (F/2)
- Levitate is a Sustained spell with Drain (F/2) +1 (and a threshold modifier)

Shinobi Killfist:
Same drain, levitate is sustained fling is instant.  Fling is a pile of worthless covered in fail sauce. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version