NEWS

[6E] Let's (re)create some spells

• 37 Replies

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #15 on: <02-25-21/1449:39> »
No offense intended Lormyr.

None taken brother. I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head on all points.

Breaking the offering is extremely easy. CRB pg. 35 basically explains that any time you are rolling dice you are performing a test. The ingredient "affect specific type of test" therefore applies to any dice pool.

Spell to increase defense test pool. Capped only by hits as neither an augmented attribute or skill cap is applies.

Spell to increase drain resistance test pool. Capped only by hits as neither an augmented attribute or skill cap applies.

Spell to increase soak test pool. Capped only by hits as neither an augmented attribute or skill cap applies.

Spell to increase toxin resistance test pool. Capped only by hits as neither an augmented attribute or skill cap applies.

Spell to deflect/scatter grenades.

Done. There is nothing left that can hit or hurt you once you apply the other usual suspects, such as attribute augmentation, combat sense, centering foci, ect.

These are all 100% allowable by the book, but would likely never pass GM discretion, which is my entire beef. Why do the rules permit insanity that no sane person will allow lol. It defeats the purpose.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <02-25-21/1504:21> »
Just things I have gotten from this and previous post:

SSDR doesn’t seem to be a SRM player so he aligns with flexibility. 

Lormyr plays more SRM.  He prefers strict rules. 

In my mind, that is why you two have different rules Philosophies. 

I tend to fall in the SSDR camp.  I will admit, the first thing I thought when I got to spell creation was “I can’t wait to see what Lormyr comes up with, to break it”.  No offense intended Lormyr.  Also, your grenade idea reminded me of a Magneto trick.

I find your observation fascinating!  And, no insult intended, somewhat humorous, as I'm actually quite involved with SRM.

I think I have quite a bit in common with Lormyr on how we view the rules, actually.  I daresay our main differences in opinion (other than some 6e specific hangups) is not being on the same perspective on when "a reasonable" amount of reliance on GM discretion becomes "too much" of the same.

How would you all create Shapechange or (Critter) form?

Regards,
SL

I think crowdsourcing would be an interesting way to explore the spell creation rules, since they're (by design) so free and unrestricted.

As a player potentially wanting to use the spell, I'd want to primarily gain a new or enhanced movement mode... or ability to survive in an extreme environment (turn into a fish underwater, turn into a polar bear out in a blizzard, etc).  The other reason I'd be interested in the spell is for stealth/surveillance... noone thinks twice about a rat moving down the alleyway behind the yakuza warehouse, or a pigeon landing on the roof of a corp research facility.

As a gm, I'd be concerned with keeping the spell from opening up "game hacks".  I don't want to, for example, see a mage be able to ignore crappy physical stats by turning into a powerful critter.  Neither do I want to see someone using the spell as a way to by default generate a "portable hole" that gear goes into while you're transformed.  In my opinion, it's a hard no on using a spell to turn into a pigeon or cat to bypass 1) encumbrance and 2) security sensors that would otherwise detect your gear if you were wearing it while NOT transformed.

So with all that in mind, here's my crack at a (Critter) Form spell!  (I've already decided that the spell has to be learned and relearned for different critters.. Cat Form, Pigeon Form, Hammerhead Shark Form, etc)

Category: Clearly Manipulation. (base 1DV)
Ingredients:
It's gotta work on at least myself, and I probably want to be able to cast it on other people too? Either way, this calls for: Affect Living Targets +1DV
If I'm turning into a combat beast, presumably I should be getting tougher/faster/stronger/etc.  Using the attribute augmented limit satisfies preventing someone with 1 body becoming a 10 body piasma.  Attribute Boost +1DV per increased attribute
Of course, I need the Shape Material ingredient to warp flesh into an animal shape. +1DV
And I'm gonna add in the Affect Speed ingredient as a catch all for gaining flight, gaining cheetah speed, breathing underwater. +1DV
There isn't a good ingredient to represent gaining extra sensory powers like a bat's ultrasound or a dog's expanded hearing, but such an ingredient seems like it should also be +1DV.

As a raw subtotal, I'm looking at anything from 2DV to 10DV, depending on how many ingredients are triggered by the specific critter.
I'm also thinking that the Attribute Boost is worthy of being customized.  If I can get stronger by turning into a bear, then it stands to reason I should be getting weaker if I turn into a mouse. Rather than having a DV of +0 to +4, I'm going to have 1 set DV where everything potentially goes up or down, depending on your own stat vs the critter statblock.  I'm calling this feature +2DV.
Additionally, I think maybe the Shape Material ingredient may need some sort of attention.  Can I turn into something as big as a Juggernaut?  As small as a microbe?  What's the limit here?  I notice that Manipulation category is the natural choice, but the mechanic of what you roll against isn't well defined.  So, geeking 2 Pigeon Formed mages with one bullet here!  The net hits will be tweaked to go from how much volume of flesh you can transform to establishing a threshold your spellcasting test has to hit to attain the form.  Ergo, spells where you remain roughly the same mass but take on a new shape (tiger, wolf, horse if you're a troll, etc) will be easier than turning into something huge or tiny.

So, last thing to do is hammer out the particular mechanics:

(Critter) Form: Manipulation Spell
Range: Touch  Type: Physical  Duration: Sustained  Drain: 7 (See below)

This spell transforms the target's physical body into a critter, gaining the size and mass and basic properties of that new form.  The specific form cannot be changed, a new spell must be learned for each critter form.  The target retains its normal mental faculties, but will gain or lose physical prowess based on the new form.  This will usually include the loss of ability to speak, as only sounds normal for that critter can be produced. 

Terms and Conditions:
This spell can duplicate the form of any mundane critter, or an awakened critter that still has a biological body. However the spell grants no magical critter powers.  So a Hell Hound Form spell could exist, but the target would not gain the ability to project flame.  The threshold to cast this spell on a willing target is [2].  The threshold increases by 1 for every doubling or halving of the target's mass. This spell cannot be cast on an unwilling target. 

The target's physical attributes (Body, Strength, Agility, Reaction) may go up or down based on the target's normal value compared to the critter's attribute.  For every net hit on the spell, increase these attributes up to the critter's stat block value, subject to the augmented maximum or critter's stat block, whichever is lower.  In turn, reduce every physical attribute down to the critter stat block value when it is lower (minimum value of 1 in all attributes).  This reduction is decreased by 1 for every net hit.   Example: Turning a troll samurai with Body 10, Agility 3, Reaction 2, and Strength 6 into a wolf with Body 4, Agility 3, Reaction 5, Strength 4 with 2 net hits ends up with the troll having Body 6, Agility 3, Reaction 4, Strength 4 in Wolf Form.  Recalculate physical condition monitor if necessary, and carry over any preexisting damage.  Mental stats do not change, although few critter forms possess the vocal capacity to permit speech.

The spell grants purely mundane powers possessed by the critter.  For example bats have ultrasound, dogs have enhanced senses, vipers have Venom (use the caster's Magic if the target is a mundane) and etc. If the form gains no such power, then the Drain Value is reduced by 1.  If the critter flies or swims or even breathes underwater, the form gains these capabilities as well.  If the form lacks these, lower the Drain Value by 1.  If the form grants neither critter powers nor enhanced movement, then lower the Drain Value by 2.

The target's equipment does not transform, and may harm or even strangle the target if it outgrows clothing and armor.  Gear that is paid for via essence transforms but ceases to function for the duration of the spell.  Drugs and toxins may affect the critter form differently than a metahuman, at the GM's discretion.

« Last Edit: <02-25-21/1839:41> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <02-25-21/1518:07> »
No offense intended Lormyr.

None taken brother. I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head on all points.

Breaking the offering is extremely easy. CRB pg. 35 basically explains that any time you are rolling dice you are performing a test. The ingredient "affect specific type of test" therefore applies to any dice pool.

Spell to increase defense test pool. Capped only by hits as neither an augmented attribute or skill cap is applies.

Spell to increase drain resistance test pool. Capped only by hits as neither an augmented attribute or skill cap applies.

Spell to increase soak test pool. Capped only by hits as neither an augmented attribute or skill cap applies.

Spell to increase toxin resistance test pool. Capped only by hits as neither an augmented attribute or skill cap applies.

Spell to deflect/scatter grenades.

Done. There is nothing left that can hit or hurt you once you apply the other usual suspects, such as attribute augmentation, combat sense, centering foci, ect.

These are all 100% allowable by the book, but would likely never pass GM discretion, which is my entire beef. Why do the rules permit insanity that no sane person will allow lol. It defeats the purpose.

The rules are written with the assumption that good faith is being used by both player and GM.  Obviously you can make a spell that destroys the universe.  Hell, you don't even have to.. the CRB already allows that by not putting a limit on the number of spell modifications you can put on a fireball :D  Infinite damage over infinite area, baybee!

If you want to look for ways to break the spell design rules, well of course you'll find ways. The rules aren't even trying to prevent breakage.  It's literally not a goal, given that you have the GM for that.

For example, the +dice ingredients.  Just because they didn't say +4 limit in every sort of ingredient that gives bonus dice, it doesn't mean the GM can't just insist on there being one.  Or, literally, not.  Maybe player and GM both are comfortable with a spell that potentially gives more than that.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #18 on: <02-25-21/1650:32> »
I think I have quite a bit in common with Lormyr on how we view the rules, actually.  I daresay our main differences in opinion (other than some 6e specific hangups) is not being on the same perspective on when "a reasonable" amount of reliance on GM discretion becomes "too much" of the same.

I mostly agree. Our desired destination point is usually relatively close, the roads we choose to get there sometimes just diverge.

There is nothing inherently wrong with GM discretion, I just think that the better written and balanced a system is the less it is needed in terms of interacting with rules.

The rules are written with the assumption that good faith is being used by both player and GM.  Obviously you can make a spell that destroys the universe.  Hell, you don't even have to.. the CRB already allows that by not putting a limit on the number of spell modifications you can put on a fireball :D  Infinite damage over infinite area, baybee!

See, I personally don't consider players using rules elements that are written to be used as bad faith, even if hyper min-maxed. Cheating on dice rolls is bad faith (and this goes for GMs too in my book - screens are for the weak!!!!). Lying about stuff that is on your character sheet is bad faith. Using the rules the game gave you creatively/intelligently/optimally is, to put it in baseball terms, safe.

But if we decide we don't want to play baseball anymore, that is acceptable, but then why are we using baseball's rules for whatever game we are now playing?
« Last Edit: <02-25-21/1653:32> by Lormyr »
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <02-25-21/1822:17> »
@SSDR: like your take on the critter form spell! Will add something like it to my excel generator :)
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <02-25-21/2240:50> »

I find your observation fascinating!  And, no insult intended, somewhat humorous, as I'm actually quite involved with SRM.

SSDR,

Takes quit a bit to insult me, so no worries. Glad I could at least bring a little humor to your day. That’s the thing about a theory, sometimes it is correct…. most times, not so much.

Your take on the critter form spell was a lot better than mine.  I had already told the player 1 animal per spell and asked what they wanted.  The answer was cat or dog.   So, at least no Grizzle Bears. 

Regards,
SL

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <02-26-21/1214:01> »
@SSDR for your Critter Form Spell I'd go with the Targets Physical Attributes stay the same, but are capped by the Critter's attributes (+4).  For each extra hit on the spellcasting test one physical Attribute can be increased, or decreased, by 1 for a +1 Drain, again, up to the Critter's attributes (+4).

Basically your Critter Form spell becomes an Increase (or Decrease) Attributes spell with whatever bonus Movement, Size change, or Mundane Critter Powers from the Critter choice for the higher Drain code.

Since there isn't a "Willing Subjects" clause, Critter Form can also be targeted against unwilling targets.  I'd use the Turn to Goo mechanics, if successful an unwilling target is turned into the Critter instead of a Goo.  *Poof*  You're a mouse.  Which is probably better than Goo.

My own 2 Nuyen.     

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <02-26-21/1229:07> »
Absolutely the nitty gritties are highly variable. Hence the requirement for GM involvement! 

In the case or attributes, I'm firmly of the opinion that you should be as strong as a mouse if you become a mouse... and as strong as an elephant if you become an elephant.  Subject to augmented limits, as always.  (There's no limit on going DOWN, only up!)

So, yes, indeed other players gms may prefer to do it differently.

On the topic of "require a willing target":
That seems like an obvious omission.  It could have been -1 DV.  No reason you couldn't just use it anyway, I suppose.

I went with requiring a willing target because of how my spell works, especially on the test being against the severity of the transformation rather than a resistance test.  My version of the spell denies resistance, AND disarms you of your gear? Broken if it could be used offensively.  A witch turning you into a newt ought to be possible, but the spell would imo have to work completely different mechanically.  I found it desireable to just remove the offensive aspect.

Edit: I accept my own challenge.  I'll update this post with an offensive "baleful polymorph" style version of critter form!
« Last Edit: <02-26-21/1235:20> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <02-26-21/1535:46> »
Making this a new post rather than editing previous one:

Baleful Polymorph (aka "She turned me into a newt!")
Category: I actually am somewhat torn between health and manipulation.  However, I plan to treat the carried equipment differently than my Critter Form spell... in that this WILL create a "bag of holding" effect to keep the spell from having the side effect of being a way to separate a target from any gear.  So if guns and armor and so on are gonna merge into the new form, then clearly Manipulation.  Base 1DV

Ingredients:
Affect Living Things +1
Affect Technology +1
Petrification +1  (target isn't being precisely petrified, but being turned into a mouse is still a "game over" effect on the target in a combat sense, so seems like a good fit)
Ranged spell +1 (yes, technically manipulations can be extended beyond Touch range for free, but since Combat spells have to pay +1, I believe purely hostile/offensive spells ought to, too.  To give room for a touch range version of the spell having a niche at -1DV, comparatively)

Total is 5 Drain.  For a spell that is an "i win" button if you land it.  For starters, the drain on this spell has got to be comparable to other automatic fight-enders.  In the CRB: Flamestrike has Drain 5, and it's certainly not an automatic incapacitation. OTOH, Control Actions and Control Thoughts are 1) also manipulation spells and 2) only Drain 4... but also they have a very limited duration. Hmm.  The spell construction rules don't have an ingredient for Limited duration, nor do they reference them in the category header.  The CRB doesn't assign them by default to Manipulation spells either... so.  Hmm.  I'll just arbitrarily decide that like Control Thoughts/Actions, my Baleful Polymorph will also use Limited duration (as should that Turn To Goo spell I half-designed, upthread!)  That makes the 5 drain look slightly better.  Probably "good enough" for what it's doing, I'd say.  And as an aside, comparing it to my Critter Form, it's 5 Drain vs 5 Drain, when Critter Form is giving an innocuous form that has no special powers.  Nice symmetry.

So, the spell:

Baleful Polymorph:  Manipulation spell
Range: LOS  Type: Physical  Duration: L  Drain: 5

This spell turns the target into an innocuous animal such as a mouse, newt, or frog.  The specific form can vary from casting to casting, but can never result in a form that is harmed by being in its environment.  For example, the target cannot be turned into a goldfish unless it is in a suitable body of water.  If the target is in free fall, it must become a form capable of flight, or at minimum surviving the landing with the terrain below.

Terms and Conditions:  The spell is resisted by Body + Willpower.  If the spell is successful, the spell may be sustained for a number of minutes equal to the net hits.  During the transformation, the target's physical attributes all become 0 but the target is not incapacitated by these values.  The mental attributes remain unchanged, but the target cannot speak.  All implants and worn possessions merge with the new form and cease to function, but any handheld objects are dropped and remain unaffected by the spell.

I also want to take one of Lormyr's ideas... I rather enjoy the concept of a spell that pulls the pins on someone's grenades for them.

Another spell that's clearly Manipulation, so base 1DV.
I would say Affect Technology and Narrow Target are necessary to specifically target grenade triggers and restrict the spell ONLY to grenade triggers, but these cancel each other out, drain-wise.
We're gonna Animate material, so +1DV.
We're gonna use Area Effect, so +1DV.  This requires the Ranged ingredient, but is normally free for Manipulation spells. So, only mentioning it for thoroughness.
The key materials we're dealing with here are made from metal, so +4DV.  Ouch! I wonder if targeting the explosives themselves and directly making them explode might be the more efficient way to go?  I'd call the chemicals composing explosives "plastic", if my categorical choices were Fabric, Metal, Plastic, Rubber, Stone, and Wood.  That's only +3DV.  Of course, a potential problem with this route is setting off bullets too, which is not a side effect I'm at all interested in.  I'd have to say the spell magically knows the difference between grenades and bullets, and since I'm applying the Narrow Target ingredient, that's absolutely valid.  But it implies without that ingredient, then it WOULD work on bullets... I think I'll just stick with the idea of a spell that makes pins jump free from their grenades.

so here it is.  It's got sick drain, but... well.. will insta-gibb someone in all probability:

Lormyr's Instant Karma (aka, "What comes around, goes BOOOM!!!)
Category: Manipulation

Range: LOS(A)  Type: Physical  Duration: Instant  Drain: 7

Grenades (but not rockets or bullets or other explosives) in the area detonate due to the pins jumping free from their housings.

Terms and Conditions: Each grenade in the spell's area resists with Object Resistance (9 dice).  A character holding a grenade in their hand may instead resist with Reaction + Intuition to try to keep the pin in place.  Each grenade that fails to resist the spell detonates.

« Last Edit: <02-26-21/1556:32> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #24 on: <02-26-21/1644:49> »
Lormyr's Instant Karma (aka, "What comes around, goes BOOOM!!!)

Lormyr approves.

This must mean I've finally gained enough levels to become and Archmage since I have a spell named after me. Suck on that, Harlequin!

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <02-26-21/1755:47> »
Animated Pins would also make for great Acupuncture.   ;D

5E Shapechange was somewhat exploitable by MySads or Physical Adepts with Adept Spell as it let them dump physical attributes and become a Magical Ninja Gator (or whatever).  5E was somewhat mitigated by lack of Armor.  6e, for better or worse, armor is simply less mechanically relevant so the Mystic Adept that turns into a Silverback Gorilla with a Combat Axe Weapon Focus kind of gets the powergamer engine running. 

Noodle armed Elf Face Summoner MySad that can turn into a literal combat monster, Wheeeee!   

Totally irrelevant because it's all house rules and the GM would just say "No" to the spell at that table for that character if it would be problematic.  Just pointing out what I would do with such a spell for anyone passing through    8)

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <02-26-21/2201:54> »
As an aside to this in SR4? whatever the last book with spell creation rules they made it fairly clear that runners were not making spells, it was a process that took years with multiple researchers, best equipment money could buy etc. I don't see any indication of time required in this book, though I may have missed it.  But my normal assumption was this was here for the GM to add spells to the campaign not the players to custom craft spells, but that is just because of the last SR edition I saw crafting in not anything from the book it self. Though the fluff shadowtalk seemed to maybe imply something else, honestly it seemed silly as it was almost implying people just could make spells up on the fly. And, it isn't even like the rocker book where they have tests to determine how long it takes, how effective it is etc. I'd assume a Arcana test of some kind etc. Any who if I were to allow this into the game I'd probably put some fairly rough thresholds on a extended tests expected to last months if not years, with shit tons of costs. But all of that has to be winged as there aren't even suggested guidelines for it as far as I can tell.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <02-26-21/2242:51> »
Given that there has been a few decades of steady Magical research and rediscovery, it's fair to say there aren't just the spells in the CRB and one splat book that have been worked out.  There are at least the dozens of spells from older editions that haven't made it to 6th yet. 

I wouldn't say a PC needs to create a spell from scratch, they just need to search enough data-bases, ask enough fixers / talismongers to find out who is selling the formulae. 

Or at least find something close enough its tweakable out in the shop/garage/backyard/magic lodge. 

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <02-26-21/2259:33> »
Sure, I guess but if anyone could just slap together a spell with a couple weeks of effort there wouldn't be a need for spell formulas to buy. And I'm not against putting old spells back in, I'd assume the formula is out there, work with the DM to figure out how it works(like combat senses is in the game, so combat sense 2 electric boogaloo this time it helps your defense pool I just wouldn't allow as the game already determined how combat sense works this edition),  its drain and assume the formula can be bought from a talismonger. 

You want to actually create a new spell from scratch, well again it takes specialists in spell creation a long time, working 60 hour shifts with a team of other specialists, how fast does the lone PC going on runs often enough to fund their research and pay the bills make that in. You don't have to remove it from the game entirely, I can see a character concept about a researcher who doesn't want his art to be controlled by the corps or something as a fun character idea. But it would be a slow process imo, not just crap some numbers out and spend 5 karma.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <02-28-21/1053:25> »
Fully agree. Bear in mind that if a PC invents up a unique new spell ingame, the benefit goes far beyond just having another spell in your arsenal: The PC also could decide to publish and sell the formular, or just stick his/her name to it for fame in the magic community.* I absolutely would allow this, but it should involve serious material und time investment and even some side quests to get there. Apart from this, the main way of using the spell creation section is to add new formulars as an open ingame resource that everyone (including NPCs) has access to. If player has a good idea for a spell that might already exist in the 6th world and the GM approves it, it is a good practice to keep record of all the homebrew spells that are available at the table. Or even publish and discuss them in the forum, as we are doing now  ;) An official "extended Grimoire" could even serve as a way to make spell creation usable for Missions.

So, a few additions to the original purpose of this thread: One easy route to cook up spells is to just slap some fitting status effects on the "boring" non-elemental combat spells for additional Drain. Some suggestions:

• Force Choke: Like Stunbolt, but also inflicts the Muted status for [Net hits] Combat rounds, +1 Drain.
  • Bonecrusher: Like Manabolt, but also inflicts one level of the Paralyzed Disabled Status to a chosen limb (or a number of limbs, distributed evenly) for every 2 Net Hits. The Status lasts until treated. +1 Drain.
  • Mana Disruption: Like Manabolt, but also inflicts the target with the Hazed Status for [Net Hits] Combat rounds if the net hits exceed the targets Magic/2. Limited to dual-natured and astral targets, which sets the additional Drain back to +0. (Fun fact: Besides the description of the effect, the  Hazed status is never mentioned again in the Core rules. And in Street Wyrd, it´s only mentioned as a spell ingredient. You´d think that an effect with such wide-reaching consequences would have a little more support behind it... ::))
  • Aneurysm: Like Manabolt, but also inflicts the target with the Dazed status for [Net hits] Combat rounds. +1 Drain.
  • Ground Wave: Like Clout, but the force is concentrated close to the ground to sweep the target of its feet. 1 Net Hit inflicts the Off Balance Status, 3+ Net Hits knock the target prone. +1 Drain (Or even +0 if you also specify that his spell can be used only on non-flying targets that are on the same ground level as the caster).

You could also turn each of these into Touch-Range (-1 Drain) or AOE spells (+1 Drain). It´s also worth noting that elemental effects are not limited to indirect combat spells, so you can also implement direct combat versions of the existing elemental combat spells for pretty much the same amount of drain: Instead of throwing fire at your target, you set it ablaze directly.

*Side Note: I absolutely love the DnD style of naming spells, where many are directly named after a certain legendary magician: Melf's Acid Arrow, Aganazzar’s Scorcher, Larloch's Drain etc. IMO, this would be even more fitting in Shadowrun, since magic is also partly commercialized. It´s worth noting that previous editions made pretty clear that there can multiple multiple different formulas for the (mechanically) same spell, based on different traditions, teachers and other subtleties. This could also extend to the naming of spells: Mechanically, you have learned the "Heal" spell, but on the fluffy side, it might be called the "Manadyne ParacelsusTM v4.0"
« Last Edit: <03-02-21/0902:35> by Finstersang »