Shadowrun Play > Play-by-Post

[6E] Dome Sweet Home IC

<< < (4/20) > >>

Jack_Spade:
Omen groaned: "No violence? Are you sure you are here for a run and not a fragging UN meeting?
I'm all for finding pressure points. But you know what you do with pressure points? You fragging press them and then shoot them while they are paralyzed with pain."
He paused an shrugged: "Ah, never mind. We can try your way first. In my experience it's going to go wrong anyway and we'll have to solve it with a good old fashioned massacre."

Aria:
[21:00 ish, Monday November 13th, 2079; Downfall, Redmond, Seattle Metroplex]

Watcher frowned at the talk of cullings and massacres “I appreciate that life is cheap in the Barrens but if I had wanted random violence I would be talking to other gangs in the area.  I would prefer something a bit more surgical.  The tribe need to continue to live there after you are long gone and killing a bunch of kids who had the misfortune to fall in to a gang is only going to foster a new round of feuding.

Similarly just leaving a power vacuum is going to attract interest from further afield.  I am interested in why these gangs have suddenly taken an unhealthy interest in the tribe.  I haven’t had an opportunity to gather much intel on the two gangs yet, I will pass on anything from my contacts as I get it and I expect you will have your own avenues to explore.  The Reapers are a mixed metatype gang, twenty to thirty members I think and they were a turf gang.  The Slaughterhowzers are primarily an orc gang and a bit larger, maybe forty to fifty members.  Both were low tier gangs and wouldn’t in normal circumstances threaten the tribe who have somewhere around two hundred members as far as I can tell.

I am not going to tell you how to conduct this other than cautioning restraint.  I certainly don’t intend to tell you not to hurt anyone, I sadly suspect that will be necessary.”

ZeroSum:
Viktor smiled through gritted teeth as Watcher cut through the discussion and tightened up the parameters of the job.

"Reapers and Slaughterhowzers; charming" he thought to himself as he began a cursory Matrix search*1 of the the gang names, starting with the former; the names were familiar to him but nothing beyond what Watcher had already laid out came to mind.*2 "This Omen character certainly seems bloodthirsty enough to fit right in with the latter, maybe we can have him pose as a prospect or some such..."

"Intelligence is my specialty" he said out loud without a hint of bravado. There seemed to be no use extending this discussion any further when there was information to hunt, so he quickly went on. "As long as no extreme measures are expected on my part, I accept your initial terms. If you obtain any further information, feel free to forward it to this commcode." The burner link would serve as well as any as a temporary drop-box.

He took a closer look at Watcher through AR and sent a quick message to his employer's commcode.*3
> As a token of goodwill, any and all data points I uncover will be relayed here unless you have another preference.

"Now, let's talk compensation, shall we?"

He paused and looked around the table, silently hoping that someone else would take up the mantle of negotiator. His skill laid entirely in navigating the Matrix and finding the things other people wanted to keep hidden, and he knew the limitations of his abilities only too well.

*1Matrix Search: Reapers, Redmond, Gang: 15d6t5 4
*2Memory Test: Street Gangs: 13d6t5 3
*3Matrix Perception: Watcher: 15d6t5 4

Beta:
Tipperman smiled into his drink; they'd had exactly the discussion that had been needed before talking payment.  From the Johnson's side it was always better to agree on payment, then reel out the limitations.  It was always pleasant to side-step that trick.

"You are not looking for ‘quick’ and ‘expedient’
You want something more subtle,
a ‘re-engineering’ of the situation
That makes for a bigger, harder, job:
A background that needs investigation
Gangs needing 'attitude adjustment'
Keeping The Tribe buffered with tamed gangs.
An 'interesting' challenge with all that implies
So now is the time to incentivize."

He swallowed the last of his drink -- he refused to actually think of it as Bourbon -- then put his glass down just hard enough to audibly punctuate his comments.  He kept  his gaze fixed on Watcher, while quietly pulling in a deep breath to try and establish if the Orc was running tailored pheromones, or even if he was stressed enough for it to come out in his scent 1.

Notes:
1 Using Olfactory Boosters (with wireless on) for a smell based perception test.
Excerpting from the 6th CRB about Olfactory Boosters:
"You can smell
people’s emotions in their sweat (and if applicable,
the maker’s mark of their tailored pheromones),
traces of ammunition propellant, explosives, or
biological and chemical warfare compounds—the
list goes on and on."  and
"The
user gains a bonus Edge for all scent-based Perception
tests, but it goes away if they do not use it
on that test.
Wireless bonus: Add the booster’s rating as a dice
pool modifier to your scent-based Perception tests."

scent perception: 8d6t5 3
use the 1 free edge to re-roll one of the 3s edge 1 die: 1d6t5 1
Total of four successes

There are no guidelines on what is needed for a scent based perception test, but from the general threshold guidelines on page 36, four successes is "More difficult, impressive enough to accomplish.
Shooting an enemy in the window of a nearby building."  Whatever that means ...

Jack_Spade:
Omen also smiled. He was the first to admit that he had neither a particularly high amount of empathy or book learning - he relied primarily on his low cunning and reflexes to get ahead in the world. So now looked calculating at Watcher, trying to guess where his limits where. On an intelectual level he knew that gaining new contacts in Seattle was probably very good in the longterm, but his mercenary soul yearned for cold hard cash.
So he nodded at the poet to let him know he had his back in the negotiation, concentrating only to exude menace without disturbing his flow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version