NEWS

The current situation with Dragons

• 275 Replies

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« on: <01-15-12/0608:51> »
I was reading SOTA 2073 and Hestaby's speech, and she makes a lot of references to a dragon names Dzitbalchén, who was executed by Aztlan in 2064 for killing Aztechnology's CEO.
It was the first time I heard about Dzitbalchén. I don't think he was mentionned in Dragons of the Sixth World back in the day, and even the Almanach doesn't say much about the whole event. Is there a book where I can read more about this particular plot point?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-15-12/0859:09> »
IIRC, he first pops up in the Denver boxed set, where he and his sister live there. They have a small rivalry, making runs against one another (non-lethal, natch) and generally don't get along terribly well, but at the end of teh day, blood holds out.

When Ghostwalker arrives, Dzitbalchen bails out (I can't recall if his sister does or not, but I want to say no) since, well, Big Bad Dragon can eat normal dragons with ease. He keeps up his smuggling ring (Both siblings run smuggler rings in Denver), but from the 'launch' side while his sister runs more of the 'arrival' side. He winds up either in the PCC or Aztlan proper (Again, I forget which) and seems to settle in.

I lose track of him at this point, until the bombing incident that, rightly or not, is pinned on him.

Denver has the majority of info, followed by ... hrm. Year of the Comet, I think, for when Ghostwalker arrives.

He wasn't a Great Dragon, nor is his sister.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <01-15-12/0946:53> »
Dzitbalchen was the fall guy when the 'peace summit' between Aztlan and the Yucatan Rebels got blown up. He was fingered by Pobre (another dragon, possibly toxic) and an Aztech astral forensics team. By pure coincidence, days after Pobre is installed as the governor of the Yucatan. Of course, the Azzies would NEVER rig something like that, right?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <01-15-12/0952:38> »
IIRC, he first pops up in the Denver boxed set, where he and his sister live there. They have a small rivalry, making runs against one another (non-lethal, natch) and generally don't get along terribly well, but at the end of teh day, blood holds out.

When Ghostwalker arrives, Dzitbalchen bails out (I can't recall if his sister does or not, but I want to say no) since, well, Big Bad Dragon can eat normal dragons with ease.

Actually the whole "smuggling Dragon siblings" does ring a bell. I just didn't remember the name of said Dragons. Thanks, I'll have a look in Year of the Comet :)
It's a good thing the Denver book has just been released in French alongside the Aztlan book as part of the "Vintage Shadowrun" collection (neither books had been translated at the time of their original release, so needless to say we missed quite a share of the metaplot back then)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Simagal

• Chummer
  • Credo Quia Absurdum
« Reply #4 on: <01-15-12/1533:18> »
In Running Wild Zacaultipan is as a sibling Dzitbalchen (page 78).
Andrew Grim

Henker

• Newb
  • Mystic Adept
« Reply #5 on: <01-16-12/0645:44> »
In Running Wild Zacaultipan is as a sibling Dzitbalchen (page 78).
very precise.
I am impressed
Eighth and final rule: if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight

Marzhin

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-17-12/0544:42> »
So I dug up my copy of Dragons of the 6th World and I was mistaken: Dzitbalchen is actually described in the book. What seems strange is Dzit' seemed to be rather pro-Aztlan, so why would he kill the CEO of Aztechnology?
One interesting thing is the fact Dzit's sister seems to have been helping the Yucatan rebels, and the shadowtalk suggest that despite their ongoing brother/sister feud, Dzit' would probably do anything to protect his sister. Could that have been used to manipulate him? Could he have been the scapegoat in a more complex conspiracy? (it's a rhetoric question, considering it's Shadowrun we're talking about :p)
Could Pobre be behind it all? On one hand, as Mirikon said, he became governor in the process. On the other hand, in the Almanach it is said the new president of Aztlan (Enrico Silva) doesn't trust Pobre, who he describes as a "toxic dragon", and will probably break the treaty with Yucatan eventually. And given his long history of fighting Aztlan (calling himself a "Mexican" and all), it seems improbable Pobre would side with the Azzies. Although if he really has gone toxic, I suppose he could have made a deal with the "new guard" of Enrico Silva and arranged the bombing to get rid of Atzcapotzalco.
Last but not least I was reading the old Aztlan book, and it says something about blood sacrifices: the bigger the creature you sacrifice, the more power you gain. Could Dzit's execution have been a sacrifice? What kind of freakish power do you gain by sacrificing a dragon? Could that have been Aztlan's way to counter Dunkelzahn's own sacrifice?
In any case there's definitely something fishy going on... That is why I love this game :p
(Groucho Marx)

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <01-17-12/0604:45> »
Reference Corporate Guide pg 66:

> And to this day, no one has ever suggested why Dzitbalchén
would have wanted to disrupt the Yucatan Peace Summit or
assassinate Juan. Of course, Dzitbalchén owned a large chunk of
Aztechnology shares, and rumors were he wanted on the board
bad. My personal opinion? Aztechnology killed three birds with
one stone: the corp rid itself of Juan, opened up Dzitbalchén’s
shares, and secured peace in the Yucatan by giving Pobre
the governorship.
> Winterhawk

Plus getting a bunch of telesma out of the corpse of a dragon . . . which may, in turn, have formed a part of the mojo which bottomed out the Amazon Basin's mega-growth rate in the opening stages of the Az-Am war.

Ryushiroi

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <01-17-12/1717:01> »
These two wouldn't also be the two "Feathered Serpents" who had a bit of a spat and Ghostwalker had to step in, with the result being their restaurant being wiped out?

Read something in Spy Games about that.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-17-12/2012:02> »
Should be, yes.

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <01-25-12/1944:30> »
So if we are going for a Draconic Throwdown, Who's taking bets on who will come out on top?
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #11 on: <01-25-12/2032:55> »
Horrors.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-25-12/2137:41> »
Oh really?

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #13 on: <01-25-12/2228:22> »
Horrors?  So last decade...... Insect Spirits!  Nows there's your real threat!

Otherwise... Lowfyr.  Dude wins everything, one way or the other.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <01-25-12/2251:29> »
Until Alamais and Sirrurg double-team him.