NEWS

[6E] PbP Recruitment & OoC

• 187 Replies

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <10-09-19/1519:31> »
@Aria

noted, wasn't aware of the limit on skills. I'll leave it as a mystic adept without spells though. This is after all a test run ;)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #16 on: <10-09-19/1532:58> »
I finally bought the rule pdf to better understand how all these pieces fit together.  Working through builds currently, but next two evenings are booked so likely no character sheet until the weekend.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #17 on: <10-09-19/1745:02> »
Dumb question, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere yet: I think unarmed combat does DV strength/2 based on what I've read on these forums, but the only related reference to that I could find was doing damage after grappling -- where does it give the damage for striking?  Assuming it is strength/2, I'm assuming that, as is the case with grappling, it rounds up?

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <10-09-19/1800:52> »
@Beta: that’s all we’ve got to go on for the moment so that’s what I’ve assumed on my generator
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <10-09-19/1834:28> »
I've invited you to the OP page so you should just be able to follow the link from an email...

I'll look at the thread on specializations again, particularly Banshee's comments as he/she wrote the matrix chapter!  But devices would be a fairly safe bet for this run anyway if that's a simple shortcut  ::)
Thanks!

I'm in the process of re-writing his backstory as I don't like how the first draft turned out. I've added the character description to Obsidian Portal, however, and as soon as I finish the backstory I'll get that uploaded too.

EDIT:
Oh, and I didn't like the name VoidDragon (too wordy) so I changed it to 0day (zero-day); for those who may not be aware, this is a modern day reference to computer software vulnerabilities that are either unknown to the software vendor, or known but unmitigated, and in both cases ripe for exploitation by third parties. As a Decker who is going to be focusing on using Probe and Backdoor Entry, this seemed rather fitting.

Side-note; the "slug" on Obsidian Portal wouldn't let me use the number 0 as the first character, so on there he's Oday. No big deal, though I'm not really sure what the slug does to be honest.
« Last Edit: <10-09-19/1839:05> by ZeroSum »

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <10-10-19/0909:23> »
All right, finalized the description and background for 0day, my dwarven decker. Reposted here for clarity, full details in the character creation thread or on the Obsidian Portal.

@Aria
I added a Player Secret on Obsidian Portal, but now I can't see it myself. I suspect I forgot to share it with myself; can you check if you see it? It should default to "GM + ?", so I would think you can see it even though I can't.

Description
0day is a stout dwarf of Japanese heritage who appears to be in his mid to late 20s. At 4' 2" and roughly 140lbs he is above average height and somewhat overweight for his metatype, and he frequently wears a plain utility jumpsuit and a drab lined coat in an attempt to blend into the crowd.

A significant part of the back of his head and neck are covered by obvious signs of rudimentary and highly invasive cyberware surgeries, while some such marks are barely visible even to a trained eye. Despite this he keeps his head and face clean shaven at all times; in part for easy access to the chrome cyberjack located at the base of his skull, but also to ensure a snug fit for the respirator he wears more often than not.

In the Matrix 0day commonly appears as a stylized samurai in full modernized armor that is not so much black as it is devoid of all colour, a feature that allows him to effectively blend into the background of the Matrix by warping code around his persona. Despite being armed with attack programs in the form of an energized katana he is known in the hacker community for never employing lethal biofeedback attack, preferring instead to linklock his target and severing their connection to the Matrix with a brutal efficiency.

In person 0day maintains a quiet demeanor that makes him appear distant and cold, particularly to those who do not know him. Under the surface, however, his thoughts and emotions are in constant flux as his augmented mind rapidly absorbs and evaluates new and changing information. His speech pattern is methodological and thorough, and conversationally he prefers to cut straight to the business at hand and does not waste time on social niceties.

Background
Cato does not know who his birth parents were; his first real memories are of clear, blue skies over a Japanese zen garden, contrasted starkly by sounds of what could only have been armed conflict. Despite possessing a profound ability to recall minute details with exceptional clarity, he has been unable to reconcile the events of his infancy with a particular time and date. He suspects that he was born in 2053, and that he is either a Seattle native or a young immigrant of the Emerald City.

This knowledge comes from a single irrefutable fact that is as horrific as it is permanently burned into his memory; before celebrating his 9th birthday he had survived the SCIRE lockdown.

Before the events that would forever shape his future, he recalls receiving praise from teachers and tutors for his intuitive understanding of mathematical and scientific material well beyond his grade level, as well as for being able to solve complex logic puzzles. He received a datajack implant when he was only 6 years old, and the virtual reality of the Matrix opened his eyes to the endless possibilities technology could provide. He quickly grasped the concepts of machine language and was enrolled in several coding classes within a year.

When debriefed following his rescue from the shutdown, Cato's own accounts puts him inside areas of the SCIRE host that were confirmed to have gone Ultraviolet as a result of Deus' awakening. While his activities during the shutdown could not be accounted for, no clear link between the young dwarf and the group known simply as 'The Whites' or the so-called 'otaku' was ever established. Furthermore, all records of the interview process and supplemental documentation, including his Renraku SIN, was conveniently lost during what became known as the Matrix Crash 2.0.

The Decker has never since spoken to anyone about what transpired during the years between December of '59 and November of '64. At some point following the events of Crash 2.0 the now teenage boy adopted the name Viktor Idō and sleazed his way across Seattle while remaining deep in the shadows for several years.

In the decade between Crash 2.0 and the introduction of new Matrix protocols in 2074, Viktor spent most of his time surviving through small-time hacks and Matrix grifting. A free hotel room here, some protein bars and an energy drink there, and enough nuyen skimmed from various sources to be able to afford the basics and put some aside for an emergency. The Matrix protocols were loose enough that if you stayed small-time you could live quite comfortably, and it was during this time he developed the 0day persona; utilizing his extraordinary mental abilities to the fullest capacity, he was able to slice through the Matrix with nothing but a cheap commlink, some pirated software, and his own razor-sharp intellect.

That all changed when de la Mar got her wish; Viktor was forced to rapidly adapt to the new wireless Matrix, and all of a sudden he could no longer rely on his quick wit and a piece of disposable tech. Using savings he had squirreled away for years he went under the knife for the first time since the events of the Arcology shutdown, and came out new and improved (if somewhat harrowed, mentally speaking).

Over the next several years he underwent several major cyber- and bioware surgeries, constantly pushing the boundaries between meat and machine, culminating with a state of the art cyberjack in late 2079. Despite the constant arms-race between deckers, GOD, and the corps, 0day had never felt more at home in the Matrix.
« Last Edit: <10-11-19/0838:36> by ZeroSum »

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <10-10-19/1040:10> »
I can see the secret... :)

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <10-10-19/1138:12> »
Awesome :) Can you turn on visibility for myself, too? Apparently it's EXTRA secret!

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <10-10-19/1745:26> »
I’ll see what I can do ;D

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <10-12-19/1058:14> »
Thanks! Made some minor grammatical corrections to the description and secret, no major substance change.

I'm excited to get this going; thanks for volunteering to run a PbP.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <10-12-19/1304:37> »
I’ll chase Beta and Gwilym for a character sheet and hopefully we can kick off next week!

gwilym

• Chummer
« Reply #26 on: <10-13-19/0748:08> »
@jack_spade. You increased your magic from 1 to six using karma 25 karma. The only karma rule I can find means this should cost 100. Can you stear me to the right page?
You are not what you think you are. you are an imitation of what your wish you were

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <10-13-19/0813:58> »
It's a special rule for mystic adepts

p.158 6e Core:
At character creation, mystic adepts divide their
Magic rating between spells and power points.
They get 1 power point for each point of Magic
dedicated to the adept side, and spells equal to the
amount of Magic dedicated to being a mage x 2.
During character advancement, mystic adepts
do not get free power points. They must purchase
them for 5 Karma apiece, with their maximum
number of power points being equal to their Mag-
ic rating.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

gwilym

• Chummer
« Reply #28 on: <10-13-19/0827:53> »
That's for power points not magic rating. You can buy power points at 5 karma up to your magic rating (1 at priority d)
You are not what you think you are. you are an imitation of what your wish you were

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <10-13-19/0908:18> »
The buying mysad powers with karma was hot fixed errataed out :P and it’s not yet clear what raw will be when the next batch of errata comes out. For now I’m happy for adjustment points to be spent on magic rating and for that to provide corresponding adept powers. I suspect that’s not how it will work for mysads but for a trial run it should be fine... especially a mysad who is effectively an adept anyway :)