NEWS

How many arrows can I hold?

• 59 Replies

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #45 on: <01-29-15/1533:47> »
I love it! I especially enjoy how you added the flavor text the weapons come with as well

Bravo Sir!
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #46 on: <01-29-15/1540:50> »
Look cool... I'd maybe make two modifications...

Expeditionary model goes up to a 12F, this number of arrows with that kind of a system is no laughing matter and pretty much shouts out that you're out to kill stuff, lots of stuff. The other thing I'd probably add is a higher capacity of arrow heads, say 25% over the number of shafts, remember that Barbed Arrow Heads are superior to standard arrows with no disadvantage, so give room for plenty of arrow heads for a good selection range.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #47 on: <01-29-15/1633:39> »
I dig it Herr Brackhaus.  Cavalier is an interesting choice though - I think they're not on great terms with most of the NAN.  :P
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #48 on: <01-29-15/1638:17> »
I love it! I especially enjoy how you added the flavor text the weapons come with as well

Bravo Sir!
Glad you like it.

Look cool... I'd maybe make two modifications...

Expeditionary model goes up to a 12F, this number of arrows with that kind of a system is no laughing matter and pretty much shouts out that you're out to kill stuff, lots of stuff. The other thing I'd probably add is a higher capacity of arrow heads, say 25% over the number of shafts, remember that Barbed Arrow Heads are superior to standard arrows with no disadvantage, so give room for plenty of arrow heads for a good selection range.
Feel free to modify to your hearts desire; it's custom content, after all.

I dig it Herr Brackhaus.  Cavalier is an interesting choice though - I think they're not on great terms with most of the NAN.  :P
Thank you kindly. As for Cavalier, they make the Urban Tribe Tomahawk, so that's why I chose them for the quiver :)

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #49 on: <01-29-15/1718:50> »
Well... here's my take on the idea with some tweaks.

Cavalier Arms Urban Tribe Auto-Quiver
This is not the quiver of your ancestors. Made from modern composites and featuring state-of-the-art technological advancements, the Urban Tribe Auto-Quiver represents an unparalleled advancement for the modern archer. Popular with Native American gangs and special forces both, the quiver is capable of assembling arrows at a moments notice by threading an arrowhead from its internal magazine onto an available shaft, ensuring the wearer is always equipped for the task at hand. This quiver has a capacity of 32 shafts and 40 arrow heads.

Capacity  Avail   Cost
     32       10R    250¥
     Wireless Bonus: Assembling one arrow is a Free Action

Cavalier Arms Urban Tribe Expedition Auto-Quiver
Designed specifically for specialized military forces that still use bows for their stealth and the adaptability of modern arrow heads. The Expedition model features an increased shaft and head capacity as well as streamlined assembly mechanism and neural link protocols, allowing the quiver to know what arrow the soldier needs as they begin to reach for their next arrow and have it assembled and primed by the time their hand reaches the shaft. This model can hold 48 shafts and 60 heads, the head storage compartment has also been reinforced to protect more volatile and dangerous arrow heads.

Capacity  Avail   Cost
     48       12F    500¥
     Wireless Bonus: Assembling one arrow is a Free Action
     DNI Bonus: Assembling one arrow is done automatically as part of the Ready Weapon action.

Increased the cost of the Expedition model a bit due to the potentially better assembly times with a DNI.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #50 on: <01-29-15/2021:23> »
To be honest, a bow - of any type - is completely okay to have.  A standard arrow (hunting or target) is completely okay to have.  They are, after all, used for hunting.  Crossbows may be a little different, but even the light ones are 'yeah, whatever, move along, citizen'.  Going about with two, ten, or five thousand arrows isn't going to mean to The Man that you're out to kill half the population of Seattle; it just means that you have a hell of a devil rat problem.  So a high-tech quiver isn't going to really make them blink.  It's the owning of different arrow-heads that's going to get your ass tossed in jail.

So I'd personally remove any restriction on the quiver.  I WOULD have an indication, though, that cops automatically take a thorough look-see to check out whether or not you have anything you shouldn't stored inside.

And when it comes to arrows?  If you can get a telescoping staff which can withstand a troll-force blunt-end punch, and nothing but a glitch / critical glitch says that it wouldn't, I don't see why you can't have telescoping arrows.  Of course, you'd also be multiplying your arrow rating by 7 or more instead of 2 - which means that just for the shaft, you're getting into the Pretty Damn Expensive range.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #51 on: <01-30-15/1018:08> »
I can agree with that, Wyrm. Love the write ups on quivers, good work folks.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #52 on: <01-30-15/1719:33> »
To be honest, a bow - of any type - is completely okay to have.  A standard arrow (hunting or target) is completely okay to have.  They are, after all, used for hunting.  Crossbows may be a little different, but even the light ones are 'yeah, whatever, move along, citizen'.  Going about with two, ten, or five thousand arrows isn't going to mean to The Man that you're out to kill half the population of Seattle; it just means that you have a hell of a devil rat problem.  So a high-tech quiver isn't going to really make them blink.  It's the owning of different arrow-heads that's going to get your ass tossed in jail.

So I'd personally remove any restriction on the quiver.  I WOULD have an indication, though, that cops automatically take a thorough look-see to check out whether or not you have anything you shouldn't stored inside.

And when it comes to arrows?  If you can get a telescoping staff which can withstand a troll-force blunt-end punch, and nothing but a glitch / critical glitch says that it wouldn't, I don't see why you can't have telescoping arrows.  Of course, you'd also be multiplying your arrow rating by 7 or more instead of 2 - which means that just for the shaft, you're getting into the Pretty Damn Expensive range.

I can see where your getting at there... for me personally seeing them as a force multiplyer, how much more effective do they make an archer? For someone who primarily uses just standard arrows with the occasional alternate arrow head? A quiver like this just isn't going to be worthwhile... however if the goal is to have 'An arrow for every situation' and the archer routinely uses a variety of special arrow heads, this type of quiver dramatically increases their adaptability as they can assemble their arrows on the fly rather than trying to guess the right loadout before the run. The reason I moved the expanded one into F was a combination of the larger capacity and the DNI capability, this is stuff getting out of 'really enthusiastic hunter' territory and into spec-ops gear.

To me it fits, but you might see things another way and that's fine, this is homebrew stuff.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #53 on: <01-30-15/2313:03> »
Dunno.  If it enhances your speed, then any speed-competition archer would want it, or even just someone out to go against a bunch of devil rats.  If you have 'telescoping arrows', then you could have it set up to store a) collapsed telescoping shafts, b) memory-plastic-folded fletching units, and c) arrowheads of your choice.  Sounds like a recipe for a 300-unit quiver to me, popping the completed shaft out the same port every time.
Pananagutan & End/Line

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #54 on: <01-30-15/2359:33> »
It doesn't really do anything to improve your speed... you still need a simple action to draw an arrow and a simple action to fire the bow... that hasn't changed at all... The main thing the quiver does is allow you to select arrow heads on-demand instead of pre-loading them.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #55 on: <01-31-15/0056:14> »
It is possible that the rule-concept for 'Ready Weapon' in regards to archery - extract, nock, and draw - involves significant gross movement and/or needing to find an arrow blind in the first place.  The assemble-and-present quiver puts the arrow in the same place every time.  This standardization, I think, would be enough to possibly enable a specific rule for the quiver that it turns the 'Reload Weapon' simple action into a free action.  I would definitely allow an adept with Nimble Fingers to use this as a Free Action, presuming I hadn't already allowed it to be such.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #56 on: <01-31-15/0241:18> »
It doesn't really do anything to improve your speed... you still need a simple action to draw an arrow and a simple action to fire the bow... that hasn't changed at all... The main thing the quiver does is allow you to select arrow heads on-demand instead of pre-loading them.
not for Adepts with Speed Draw.
 (They've been more Fun in SR4A but they're still OK in SR5)

and if You use a speedholster than drawing and firing a Pistol becomes one simple Action.
 same could be applied to a Speed Draw Quiver

with a Speed Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #57 on: <01-31-15/0320:06> »
Hmmm, yeah I could see it with Quickdraw since it is 'properly holstered' as per the rules for the Quckdraw power... question is do we then call for a roll to check if they draw the arrow properly, then do another roll for the attack... because most of the time quickdraw and attack is the same action thus they can simply put the limit on the attack roll.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #58 on: <01-31-15/0407:08> »
Even if 'quickdraw and attack' is the same simple action, you still have to successfully quickdraw.
Pananagutan & End/Line

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #59 on: <01-31-15/0436:43> »
Yes but all that is is a (3) threshold on the attack, -1 for a quickdraw holster and -1 for Quickdraw power and these two stack to a total of -2. So the problem with allowing a quickdraw on the arrow is that's not when you attack, you attack on the next action so how do you test if the quickdraw is successful or not?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor