NEWS

Restricted Gear Quality and Thunderstruck

• 45 Replies

忍

« on: <01-20-15/0100:45> »
Restricted Gear 149pg. Run Faster
Thunderstruck 45 pg. Run and Gun

If I take the said quality I can purchase said gun, however the batteries necessary to power the gun are above availability 12. (54pg.)

Am I understanding that I can have the gun and not be able to use it correctly? (Sans vehicle power)

Would anyone rule so a player could purchase the required power to operate it?

8-bit

« Reply #1 on: <01-20-15/0110:47> »
Correct, you can purchase the gun, but the Power Packs are outside of the allowed Availability.

As far as houseruling goes; possibly? Our current game has a character who has both Gauss Thunderstruck Rifle and Power Packs (back when we missed that it was 24F instead of 12F; we houseruled buying the power packs), and it hasn't broken anything so far. Definitely not something I would apply to every game though.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-20-15/0118:35> »
The other issue is if you look up the Run & Gun Errata it details Gauss Rifle ammo as being Availability 18.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <01-20-15/0121:49> »
All guns come with one magazine (re, clip) automatically with purchase, and you can purchase extras.  Stands to reason that an Ares Thunderstruck would automatically come with one peak discharge battery in addition to an empty magazine for the tungsten carbide darts it actually shoots.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #4 on: <01-20-15/0123:07> »
Yeah, you'd need to use vehicle/building power if you can't get the packs due to Availability.  Which would be hilarious, some troll with a drone carrying a bunch of power-cable plugging them into the wall to get the juice to fire. 

That said, you could just spend the karma and buy the quality again; rule it as having lost the old one and having a contact get you a new one.  Ammo is a completely different concern.
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-20-15/0125:48> »
Quote from: Run Faster page 149
RESTRICTED GEAR
COST: 10 KARMA PER ITEM
Right place, right time, right friend, or the stars aligned.
No matter the reason, the character has managed to
acquire or get a line on one piece of really hard-tofind
gear she absolutely had to have. The character can
take this quality up to three times
; only one of those
times can occur at character creation. Selecting it at
character creation allows the character to buy a piece
of gear with an Availability of up to 24 (circumventing
the normal Availability limit at character creation). After
character creation, taking this quality lets the character
purchase one piece of gear with an Availability up to 18
during play with just a single commcall. They do, however,
have to pay an extra thirty percent for the item.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #6 on: <01-20-15/0138:24> »
So the rifle and one clip of ammo for 20 karma?
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-20-15/0142:14> »
So the rifle and one clip of ammo for 20 karma?

It does NOT say you can only get one of what you bought the quality for. Common Sense dictates that if you buy the quality three times then, if you wanted you could get 15 Gauss Rifles, 150 clips of Gauss Rifle ammo and 150 Power Packs.

It's restrictive enough that it can only be bought three times and that each one only "unlocks" one thing to make it available in generation.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

8-bit

« Reply #8 on: <01-20-15/0146:01> »
The line after it is the key part.

Quote from: Run Faster page 149
RESTRICTED GEAR
COST: 10 KARMA PER ITEM
Right place, right time, right friend, or the stars aligned. No matter the reason, the character has managed to acquire or get a line on one piece of really hard-tofind gear she absolutely had to have. The character can take this quality up to three times; only one of those times can occur at character creation. Selecting it at character creation allows the character to buy a piece of gear with an Availability of up to 24 (circumventing the normal Availability limit at character creation). After character creation, taking this quality lets the character purchase one piece of gear with an Availability up to 18 during play with just a single commcall. They do, however, have to pay an extra thirty percent for the item.

So, you can take it twice at Character Creation, but only use it once. Thus, can't get the Power Packs.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #9 on: <01-20-15/0147:57> »
Doesn't the cannon use Assault Cannon ammo in addition to power packs? So you would only need it twice, no?
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

8-bit

« Reply #10 on: <01-20-15/0152:25> »
Doesn't the cannon use Assault Cannon ammo in addition to power packs? So you would only need it twice, no?

From the Run & Gun Errata:

Quote from: Run & Gun Errata; page 2
Gauss: DV —, AP —, Avail 18F, Cost 400¥

That's the cost for the Gauss Rifle Ammo. And you need Power Packs. So technically, you need 3 purchases of Restricted Gear. You still can only use 1 at Character Creation, so it's still impossible.

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <01-20-15/0154:46> »
The way this discussion is going you'd have to take the Restricted Gear quality three times.  Once for the Thunderstruck at character generation, but then out the gate in the first game you can call up a contact to get a battery and a ten-pack of ammo without issue and a 30% markup on each (so ¥520 for both, or ¥1040 total).

Though honestly to me selling a Thunderstruck without a single peak discharge battery included for free is like [insert major cell phone provider] selling a cell phone today without a battery.

8-bit

« Reply #12 on: <01-20-15/0157:17> »
I would say it comes with 1 clip of Gauss Ammo and 1 Power Clip. That has it's own drawbacks, and it doesn't seem game-breaking to me. Especially since you use Restricted Gear, you would think it might come with a little extra.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #13 on: <01-20-15/0210:39> »
I'd spend that 10 karma on turning a contact into a Black Market Pipeline for weapons, instead.  Restricted Gear is a one-shot sort of thing, and if your GM is going to say that you have to take it for the weapon, the power pack, AND the ammo, then it's not worth it.  Get the pipeline, and then you can get it in the near-future - and easier, even.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <01-20-15/0236:55> »
I would say it comes with 1 clip of Gauss Ammo and 1 Power Clip. That has it's own drawbacks, and it doesn't seem game-breaking to me. Especially since you use Restricted Gear, you would think it might come with a little extra.
Then you have to do it for every other weapon, too. But it's not intended for weapons to include ammo.
It's just this single case where you have to break out from the usual way. And do you really want to make a general rule because of a single edge-case? Seems a bit overboard to me.