Shadowrun Play > Rules and such

Does a Technomancer need the Cracking Skill in 6E?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Hobbes:
IMO skipping Tasking and Cracking is going to be too limiting.  There are times when a Cracking action is the thing to do, either the TM or the Sprite.   

Play style you can certainly consider them a "Back up" option.  And I'm really not sure what Skills a Matrix character is taking in place of Cracking or Tasking that is "better". 

And, to SSDR's point, the Editor CF changed a bit between 5th and 6th.  5th Edition Net hits let you do the same thing as net hits on the Edit File action.  6th Edition explicitly states you take the Edit File action.  5th Edition I can make the argument to ignore File Protection and Data bombs.  I don't see the argument in 6th. 

wadsworthpu:
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the responses.  Good point on the different wording between 5E and 6E.  With the interpretation of Editor CF not bypassing encryption or data bombs, is it worth doing? It looks like you would need User/Admin to use both Disarm Data Bomb and Crack File.  Which implies you would need to Hack before disarming or editing anyway. What is the advantage of Editor CF vs Edit File?  Why spend the karma to learn the CF and why soak the Fade Value?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
Lots of hosts allow outsiders to enter.  Really, anything that conducts business with the public is rather likely to permit outsiders to enter their hosts.  Of course any files and devices not intended to be used by customers will require user or admin access, but with the Editor CF it's too late.  You already let the TM in.  Off the top of my head, a pretty common application would be interacting with a bouncer in front of an exclusive night club.  Of course anyone can enter the club's host.  The "List" will be a private file, but with Editor CF the TM can probably just put their team on the List without having to hack the host.

Yes, the more advanced matrix security defenses of encryption and data bombs will stymie the Editor CF... but that goes to GMing.  Will every important file be encrypted or have a data bomb?  Probably not, in all likelihood.  Just like there will rather often be Paul Blart Rent-a-Cops on security patrol, rather than every security guard being a Red Samurai.

Xenon:

--- Quote from: wadsworthpu on ---What is the advantage of Editor CF vs Edit File? 
--- End quote ---
It let you change, copy or delete files that can be read, viewed or listen to located on personal area networks, in public hosts, on stand alone devices, on the public side of protected hosts or on devices hidden inside a protected host (if you have a direct connection) - without a need of first illegally probing or brute forcing to gain proper access levels.

Banshee:
As SSDR and Xenon have both said... do you NEED cracking, no. Should you probably invest in it anyway, yes.
CFs and Sprites can go a long way but there are still plenty of options still available to a TM with the right skills since they are still Hackers and can do everything a Decker can do ... just without a deck.

As for Editor CF ..  all it does is allow you to do the same things the Exit File action does but without requiring the same level of access on it. Sometimes that means a lot other times not so much. As long as you can get to the file ... ie accessing the network or direct connection it doesn't matter what access restriction is on the file itself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version