"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <09-15-17/1410:39> »
Wow they apparently have more skills than we do.

Most of those Assets identified as being in Corporate Guide would be Specializations, although there were also redundancies and both overly vague (not included) and hyper-specific assets listed in that book. So I would suggest using that list as a starting point, but not necessarily the best resource for defining all Specializations.

If treating Assets as Corporate Skills, I would stick to the 14 from Corporate Download plus the five additional categories I created for organizing Corporate Guide:
  • Information
  • Logistics
  • Energy & Resources
  • Security
  • Maritime
  • Aerospace
  • Agriculture
  • Biotechnology
  • Chemicals
  • Computer Engineering
  • Computer Science
  • Consumer Goods
  • Cybernetics
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Heavy Industry
  • Military Technology
  • Mystical Goods and Services
  • Service
There's some context missing from what I cut and pasted as that was part of an argument I was making to more clearly define and specify what exactly qualifies as Knowledge Skills because of how vague some of them have always been, e.g. Security Procedures. In this context here would be 27 total corporate PC Knowledge Skills:
  • Information
  • Logistics
  • Energy & Resources
  • Security
  • Maritime
  • Aerospace
  • Agriculture
  • Biotechnology
  • Chemicals
  • Computer Engineering
  • Computer Science
  • Consumer Goods
  • Cybernetics
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Heavy Industry
  • Military Technology
  • Mystical Goods and Services
  • Service
  • Corporate Fiscal (Specialization: By Megacorporation)
  • Corporate Operations (Specialization: By Megacorporation)
  • Corporate Intelligence (Specialization: By Megacorporation)
  • Corporate Security (Specialization: By Megacorporation)
  • Corporate Publicity (Specialization: By Megacorporation)
  • Corporate Management (Specialization: By Megacorporation)
  • Corporate Efficiency (Specializations: By Megacorporation)
  • Corporate Reputation (Specialization: By Megacorporation)
« Last Edit: <09-15-17/1620:12> by Crimsondude »

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #17 on: <09-15-17/1425:02> »
You maniac, Crimsondude.  ;D
^^This Summed up my feelings. lol

But full credit for giving a very complete and interesting answer. +1 Crimsondude.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <09-15-17/1518:51> »
Sorry. I went through and am editing the above posts because I removed more context than I first thought — I had more direct references to the page numbers since these rules comprise many pages in the two books — and it's not quite clear here which were existing rules and which are my own ideas.
« Last Edit: <09-15-17/1521:20> by Crimsondude »

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <09-16-17/1728:45> »
Ah well like I said I only had time to do a very brief skim of it. Still haven't had a chance to read it properly.

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <09-21-17/0437:31> »
I stop being notified by email that the thread was updated, so i've missed the latest addition since my last post. It's awesome! Thank you all for posting this stuff!

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <09-21-17/0946:38> »
OK, I've took a big look at this list of assets along with the proposed specialization, and there are not really working for my use case. I don't want to build a mechanism (or use an existing mechanism) that simulate a corporation daily business. What I want is a mechanism to bound, limit and define what my PCs can do with their corporation.

So, in my approach, I would replaced all those assets by operation the group can use. For instance, they want to build a network to provide safehouse, using their coporate assets. So for instance, if they want to know if they can indeed provide a safehouse for their own need, or to help some fellow shadowrun I would ask them to roll (Operations + Safehouse).

They also want to provides a way for Shadowrun to save some money "for their old day", so I would make a "Money Laundery", and ask them to roll Fiscal + Money Laundery.

This way, instead of keeping a large list of corporate domain, that will most likely never be useful to my PCs, I would just come up with "skills" every time they want to do something. Rather than skill I should probably call them "Shadows Ops".

As for representing for the competency of the corporation to do its business, I would make it an attribute test, like Managemement + Efficiency, and to resist attack from other corporation Security + Intelligence.

Last, but not the least, I need a mechanism to limit the number of time they can tax their corporation for resources. Earlier I though about having such use consuming resource, but I'm thinking (again) having a drain system. Like every use of a Shadow Ops will generate a Drain score to be resisted by Fiscal + Operations. If Drain Score (acting as a Threshold) is not met, the corporation can not spare more resources before next month. Glitch and Critical Glitch in resisting "drain", will cause "harm" to the corporation.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this approach seems a bit less complete (in term of simulation) but also limit the number of skills to keep tracks off, plus leverage as much as possible the attributes.
« Last Edit: <09-22-17/0642:03> by belaran »

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #22 on: <09-22-17/0134:52> »
Several people (including me) have suggested answers ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <09-22-17/0546:16> »
How about a different approach: Resources aren't really the problem of a corp. It's hiding the money from the authorities that's the trick.

I'd suggest using a modified overwatch system where everytime you draw on the resources you not only add a certain amount of "evidence" but the GM also rolls some dice in the background to see just how big the impact is.
You could allow them to spend extended tests (with long time intervals) to reduce the evidence trail and keep the IRS at bay.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <09-22-17/0641:30> »
Reading again Wyrm's replies (that got buried into the long list of assets), I was also coming with a similar idea indeed. Shadows Ops drain's test will be there to reduce the Corporate Court Overwatch score in this approach.  I would also simplify by stating that performing a Shadow Ops also drain the resource of the coporation giving a -2 to resist an attack by an other one.

This way, my PCs rolls dice for the corporation only in two cases : Shadow Ops and Corporation Attack (O.P.A). No rule for now, for them to attack an other corp.

For the Shadow Ops, they roll the Attribute + Shadow Ops (like a regular skill test for a character) and roll "Drain" to see how much Overwatch they can remove. They can do only one Shadow Ops by month, and the Coporate Overwatch decrease by one every month.

(BTW, going off your first post -- 'hopefully do better than the other one of Shadowrun' --  it does seem like you're thinking there are only two primary corporations; there are plenty more than two, even more than 'two biggest'.  Anyhow.)

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of putting 's' at the end of everything that need it. But what I meant indeed is "do better than the other ones..."

What this means is that most of the standard shadowrun rules come back into play, instead of needing to come up with new ones

I utterly agree with that, and I often try to stick as much as possible to the RAW. But here, there is no 5ed mechanism and the one described coming from previous edition does not fit the bill. They are designed to run corporation (more/less), not to provide a lightweight mechanism for a group of Shadowrunner to leverage their corp.

Also, I want something as less crunchy as possible. I even considered doing everything with attributes and not have the Shadow Ops.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #25 on: <09-22-17/2043:33> »
Okay, well.  Multiple suggestions have been made, crunch and lack thereof has been proposed, proper spelling has been recommended, so ... I think you're set with options, you just need to finalize what it is you want to do; I think we've gone as far as we can go.  Good luck!!
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <09-23-17/0622:51> »
Err, you sounds a bit pissed at me, so let me state here again that I'm very grateful to all the contributions made here. I was happy to reused the attributes provided, and it is thanks to other replies that I've moved away from having a "drain" to having a sort of "Corporate Court" Overwatch which I find pretty cool. I also did try to reuse all the assets/skills proposed above, I even copy all of them in a document, start sorting them out and after a half an hour with the material, I realized it would not work for the purpose I have.here. Simply put, given what my PCs wants to do, they will simply never roll any of those assets and lack mechanism to implement what they want.

So again, if you feel I was disrespectful and not reading your replies, please be rest assure this is only because I did not get notified by the system for a couple of days which lead to the thread to contains a lot of response.

I hope this clarifies things.

Now, if I'm happy with the house rule we designed here, I still want to share ideas about it and keep this thread alive for a little while. So (to anyone reading this thread) feel free to keep contributing if you think something is wrong or badly designed, or if you have some cool ideas to add to it.