NEWS

[noob question] Could you make an armor focus?

• 17 Replies

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <12-11-14/1408:25> »
Well, to be fair if someone paid the cost to put that on Military Armor, I don't see a problem with the magic increasing the Hardened value. The cost and difficulty to obtain it all would make it rare enough as-is.

At first I would agree, but having Hardened Armor into the thirties (easy with a set of mil-spec and a moderately high Force Armor Focus, assuming 3 points of Hardened per point of Force), gets a little too crazy from my perspective.  With Heavy Mil-Spec w/ Helmet, you're getting 32 points of Hardened Armor with it being enchanted at Force 3.  Assuming an equal Restricted Rating to Power/Weapon foci, Force 3 is only 12R, which is easy compared to the armor itself.  Light Mil-Spec w/ Helmet would hit 30 at Force 4, so 16 Availability for both Focus and Armor.  Assuming a tied cost with Weapon Foci, and that's 21,000 nuyen and 28,000 respectively, so it only surpasses the armor's inherent value by a little. 

Simple solution to that is to cap Hardened value at the Armor Value, as with that, yes a Force 6 Light Military Armor Focus would have 21 Armor Value all of which is Hardened, but in order to reach the 30s, one would need a Heavy Military Armor Focus at Force 10.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #16 on: <12-11-14/1422:48> »
Force 7, What with the Hardened Mil-Spec Helmet.  Personally, I wouldn't stack it, but your idea would work for tables that do.  Of course, at 30 you're ignoring everything but possibly Force 15 indirect combat spells and Direct Combat spells.  I guess that does give Direct Spells a use, huh?
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #17 on: <12-14-14/2346:13> »
This question keeps coming up. I'm not sure why its never been put in the system. It seems fairly obvious one to me, armor that will go with you to the astral plan, and add dice in the meat world.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking