NEWS

Please help a new player with character creation

• 10 Replies

Suppoko

• Newb
« on: <02-13-11/0833:21> »
Hi, I'm new to this forum and SR p&p (still my favorite genesis game, screw nintento version) an I need some help on where to start. We are getting a game going that starts core book only but will use other books after we get the hang of it with 400bp. Pretty much I have a concept only. The rest of the team has all gun/melée on lockdown so I wanted to play a face/driver (kinda like the transporter) ive looked thru all 5 pages an didn't really see a thread for this. Is it a bad idea?

Sorry I don't have more to it, usually I'm better at char building the rules are all still pretty new to me so I really need help. I would like to be elf and assume I need high agility,reaction, and charisma. I prefer to use guns first h2h last since the game seems geared that way. Please any advice filling in the major hole that my char is would be greatly appreciated.

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-13-11/0847:58> »
A face/driver is not a bad idea at all and sounds like something your team needs.  Start with elf for 30 BP and high cha and reaction.  Influence skill group 4, pilot ground possibly 6, whatever else you want to fill in the BP.  Probably 50 points on gear.

Suppoko

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-13-11/0859:19> »
Thanks for the fast reply! Are those pretty much the skills I'll need? Everything else can be flavor? Also are there any certain bio/cyberware I would need or is that just personal preference? I've seen that everyone says dodge dodge dodge and since getting missed is the best way to avoid damage I agree. What's a good dice pool to make sure I get missed mostly? Looks like 10-14 is about average.

One last thing would adding in magic stat and using adept powers be a waste?

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-13-11/0912:22> »
Tailored pheremones bioware add directly to social so you might want that.  Extra IP also good.  Maybe reaction enhancer.  Dodge is indeed good but if you are in a car or on a bike you "dodge" with pilot ground anyway.  Cha 5-7 and influence 4 is all you really need to face it up.  Other skills you could take mechanic, perception, first aid mebbe, stealth group mebbe, all depends on what you want.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <02-13-11/1130:38> »
Going with 'ware or Magic is a very divergent path.

Cyberware would mean picking up stuff like Reaction Enhancers (+ Reaction), Wired Reflexes (+ Reaction/IP), Enhanced Articulation (+Phys Skills), Muscle Toner (+Agility) and Tailored Pheromones (+ Cha/Social Skills).

'WareEssenceCostBenefit
R2 Reaction Enhancers0.620,000¥+2 Reaction
R2 Wired Reflexes332,000¥+2 Reaction, +2 IPs
(stacks with React Enh)
Enh. Articulation0.3 * 1/240,000¥+1 Phys Skills
R2 Toner0.4 * 1/216,000¥+2 Agility
R3 Tailored Pheromones 0.6 * 1/245,000¥+3 Cha/Social Skills
Total4.25 (0.6+3.0+0.15+0.2+0.3)153,000¥

If you choose Magic, then go with the Physical Adept. These powers should help: Attribute Boost, Combat Sense, Improved Ability, Improved Physical Attribute, Improved Reflexes, Improved Sense (Direction Sense), Kinesics and Voice Control. The combos of those powers would depend on your personal preferences.

Loki

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-13-11/1335:16> »
With the cyber option you can get a vehicle control rig. You could also mix some light drone control duty with that mix.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #6 on: <02-23-11/0324:18> »
Cyber Route requires mucho Nuyen... which the driver might want to use for a nice vehicle or two.
Tailored Pheremones and some other bio/cyber stuff (Rigger control could be handy) are definitely nice but make sure not losing more than 1 point of essense, spend the rest on Magic + Adept Powers.
Kinesics, Voice Control... I'd never NOT get Commanding Voice as Face neither. (Fits the transporter as "You only hired me for 3 passengers, there's 4 of you. Get Out Of My Car.")
Imho, adept powers for a face are never, ever a waste... it's where the most power comes from.
(You could, for example, tell 20 enemy guys to "Shoot yourselves in the head" and do more damage with this one action than a maxed out gunny or sammy could do in 2 turns... but that might be munchkinism.)

Edit: Oops, missed the "core only" part... But even without commanding voice, all the rest of the stuff FastJack mentioned are well worth going (part) PhysAd... You can always get Commanding Voice later with karma points when you're more experienced with the game.
« Last Edit: <02-23-11/0327:18> by Xzylvador »

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-23-11/0850:05> »
Suppoko,

A couple other skills that are useful for any character are perception, dodge, some ranged weapon (usually a gun) and if you have points and it fits your concept a melee skill is useful.

Also it could be useful to have some infiltration, and shadowing.

"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #8 on: <02-24-11/1431:30> »
And definitelz perception

Serephim

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <03-13-11/1732:33> »
You may want to try doing a combo magic-cyber.  It limits you on both, I would recommend looking in having a Geas so you aren't as limited in the magic.  4th edition has some adept powers that can help a face whereas 3rd does not.  If you have your heart set on a combo, it is doable, and if it is what your character would do, I say go for it.  If you are most concerned with being useful, maybe stay away from it.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <03-14-11/1218:55> »
Combination of Smuggler and Face archetypes?