NEWS

What is a "Holster" for Melee/Throwing?

• 15 Replies

Koshnek

• Omae
« on: <07-01-14/0300:42> »
There are techniques and powers that allow you to quickdraw holstered weapons and throwing items. How do you determine if a melee weapon or throwing weapon is properly holstered? I assume swords for example are sold with a sheath. What about tomahawks or ninja stars or quarterstaves? Does every weapon come with a standard holster or something you can use?
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Voice chat & Subvocal

Booze

• Chummer
  • Johny Walker, the street name Booze came by itself
« Reply #1 on: <07-01-14/0423:29> »
I see it as a proper 'hostling' metod. IE thrown weapons like knifes, if they are just in pocket, you might not be able to perform 'quick draw', but if it is on a belt, with handle on the upper side, and blade on the other, that should do. Quatterstaff? Attached to your back,... i guess?

Why hostler a quaterstaff? While you could use it as cane?
Booze's VU93 Profile
Im From EU, so my time zone is +7 from forum time, when you sleep I read ;)

Koshnek

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <07-01-14/0448:38> »
It was a bad example and the only melee weapon that came to mind at the time, haha. How about the two handed axe then, or the stun baton? Is it really just flavor and as long as it makes sense it will work?
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Voice chat & Subvocal

ve4grm

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-01-14/0531:04> »
There are techniques and powers that allow you to quickdraw holstered weapons and throwing items. How do you determine if a melee weapon or throwing weapon is properly holstered? I assume swords for example are sold with a sheath. What about tomahawks or ninja stars or quarterstaves? Does every weapon come with a standard holster or something you can use?

In two words: Kinda, yeah.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Ootpac/Sagewood%20Gear/MOLLEHawkHolster1_wm.jpg

http://www.weapons-universe.com/Martial_Arts/Throwing_Stars/Black-Ronin-Throwing-Star-Silver-3.5-inches-United-Cutlery-UC2683.jpg

http://cdn.iofferphoto.com/img/item/549/943/630/o_flying-falcons-3-piece-throwing-knives-106c.jpg

http://www.stu711.com/images/BATON%20AUTO%20BLACK%20TACTICAL.jpg

Most blades come with a way to carry it such that you don't cut yourself. Even the giant two-handed axe would probably come with a way to sling it either across your back or at your side.

Like this: http://www.warriorsandwonders.com/images/xb2077.jpg

It would also probably come with removable blade guards for storage.

Clubs need less in the way of protection, but would still usually come with a way to hang it from a belt at minimum. A loop of synthleather would probably do it.
Thought || Speech || Matrix/com || Astral

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-01-14/1400:35> »
The Quick Draw (and Attack) Simple Action on SR5 p. 165 is only for pistols and throwing weapons
(not melee weapons) and require a test to be successful.

You can use the Ready Weapon Simple Action on the same page if you want to ready a firearm, melee weapon, throwing weapon, ranged weapon, mounted or vehicle weapon. This action does not require a test. Using this action you can ready a number of small throwing weapons, such as throwing knives or shurikens, equal to one-half of your Agility (round up) per Ready Weapon Simple Action.

Might be a Quick Draw (and Attack) Complex Action for melee weapons in Run n Gun....

Koshnek

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <07-01-14/1651:56> »
Quote from: p. 122 R&G SR5
Iaijutsu is the art of sword drawing, though this technique goes beyond just using a sword. With this action, the character may perform Quick Draw Simple Action (p. 165, SR5) with any melee weapon. As with the quick draw rules, the weapon must be properly sheathed or holstered in order to use the Quick Draw Action. If successful, the character can then attack with the weapon as a Simple Action instead of a Complex Action for that Action Phase. Note that use of this action requires Martial Art training.

Quote from: p. 173-4 SG SR5
No longer limited to pistols, the Rapid Draw power can be used by the adept to rapidly and more easily employ a variety of weapons in combat. Any weapon that is properly holstered can be quick-drawn; this includes blades, pistols, and throwing weapons. To use this ability, the adept makes a standard quick draw test (p. 165, SR5) but the threshold for this test is decreased by 1; this is cumulative with the use of a quick-draw holster. Also, with this power, a Quick Draw action is considered a Free Action. For the purposes of this power, larger weapons such as SMGs, shotguns, or assault rifles attached to slings and/or held in front of the adept at the “low ready” position are also considered holstered and can be quick-drawn as such.

Quickdraw is no longer limited to ranged weapons :-).

Edit: That also begs the question, what exactly does "held in front of the adept at the "low ready" position" entail? Carrying the weapons in both hands ready to shoot but kinda pointed downwards like you often see in movies? Then picking it up and into firing position an firing is quickdrawing for said weapon?
« Last Edit: <07-01-14/1655:56> by Koshnek »
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Voice chat & Subvocal

ve4grm

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <07-01-14/1856:39> »
Edit: That also begs the question, what exactly does "held in front of the adept at the "low ready" position" entail? Carrying the weapons in both hands ready to shoot but kinda pointed downwards like you often see in movies? Then picking it up and into firing position an firing is quickdrawing for said weapon?

It's actually a proper technical term. See the second position here:
http://firearmshistory.blogspot.ca/2012/03/shooting-positions-ready-positions.html
Thought || Speech || Matrix/com || Astral

Koshnek

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <07-01-14/1902:50> »
Ah, that was quite informative. I was mistaking low ready with carry ready, and I'd never heard of high ready :-)
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Voice chat & Subvocal

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #8 on: <07-02-14/1445:07> »
Viktor has tried beeg magnet on back to hold hammer.

Not work out so well. Got stuck to shipping container. Hard to explain why have beeg ragged plate of corrugated metal on back.

-v

T

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <07-27-14/0013:55> »
I have a few questions regarding both the Quick Draw action and the Rapid Draw adept power.

For the Quick Draw action, how does it work? From what I understand, if you do a Quick Draw, in one Simple Action, you both draw the weapon and shoot once (a single bullet for SS and SA weapon, a short burst for BF weapons that are pistol-sized and therefore quick-drawable). But then, unless you're using the optional rule to allow for more than one attack action per Action Phase, then you're just twiddling your thumbs for your second Simple Action. Hmmm... I guess it can come in handy if you have something else to do with that other Simple Action (like activate an Attribute Boost power or something), but it looks a bit strange to me. Perhaps I'll house-rule that you can do a Complex Action Quick Draw (for pistol-sized weapons) that allow you to both draw the weapon and shoot a semi-auto burst. That would give the Quick Draw action some real benefits for characters that don't have fancy extras to activate with their other Simple Action. Not too sure what to do with Throwing Weapons, but my gaming group doesn't use those much, so it's not as big an issue for me.

Regarding the Rapid Draw adept power, it states that it allows you to do a Quick Draw action as a Free Action. As stated above, it seems that the Quick Draw action allows you to both draw the weapon and shoot in the same Simple Action. Which would mean that, with Rapid Draw, you could draw the weapon and shoot once (a single bullet for SS and SA weapon, a short burst for BF) with the same Free Action... and then spend a Complex Action picking your nose or something because you're only allowed one attack action per Action Phase.

Am I misunderstanding how those things work? I mean... I'm pretty sure Rapid Draw is supposed to allow you to draw (and only draw, not use) the weapon with that Free Action, and you can then use your Simple Actions or Complex Action to actually do something with the weapon, but it's not how the power's rules are written. What do you guys think? How do you handle those two things at your table?

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <07-27-14/0418:42> »

But then, unless you're using the optional rule to allow for more than one attack action per Action Phase, then you're just twiddling your thumbs for your second Simple Action. Hmmm...
thats because the Fast Draw Rule is originally from SR4A where you could attack twice with two simple Actions
so back in SR4A they made more sense but in SR5 they just Copy-pasted the Rule without giving it a second thought (I guess) thats why it makes way less sense.
You will find this quite often wiith the SR5 Rules

Regarding the Rapid Draw adept power, it states that it allows you to do a Quick Draw action as a Free Action.
Same here
with the Quick Draw  Power the Adept could shoot 2 Arrows in SR4A per Ini Phase.
But now....
Don't forget You're not forbidden to shoot twice (because shooting in SS its a simple Action) You're only forbidden to attack twice
  So you can shoot in the Air (but make sure not to hit a Dove ;) as this would be a second Attack)
or try to look Good while shooting (Acting roll maybe ? )

HokaHey
Medicineman
« Last Edit: <07-27-14/0424:41> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <07-27-14/0446:29> »
Ever seen a western movie?
Quick draw and fire one single bullet as one flowing movement (one simple action).

In some action phases you only have a simple action to spare (because the other simple action is used for Take Cover or whatever).

Can you please copy pasta the entire adept power rule text? Odds are It just let you draw as a free action (which mean you can't use it while running or spending your free action on something else). Then you spend either a simple or complex action to attack.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <07-27-14/0637:45> »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

T

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <07-27-14/0913:32> »
RAPID DRAW
COST: 0.5 PP
No longer limited to pistols, the Rapid Draw power can be used by the adept to rapidly and more easily employ a variety of weapons in combat. Any weapon that is properly holstered can be quick-drawn; this includes blades, pistols, and throwing weapons. To use this ability, the adept makes a standard quick draw test (p. 165, SR5) but the threshold for this test is decreased by 1; this is cumulative with the use of a quick-draw holster. Also, with this power, a Quick Draw action is considered a Free Action. For the purposes of this power, larger weapons such as SMGs, shotguns, or assault rifles attached to slings and/or held in front of the adept at the “low ready” position are also considered holstered and can be quick-drawn as such.

So yeah. I guess the Rapid Draw power gives you more flexibility in how you do your Quick Draws. It makes the regular Quick Draw action easier to pull off, and it allows you to (more or less) do a Ready Weapon action as a Free Action instead of a Simple Action, which is useful for weapons that require a Complex Action to use. But this is actually inferior to the Iaijustu martial arts technique for melee weapons in that you're using an extra Free Action to accomplish the same thing.

IAIJUTSU
Simple Action
Iaijutsu is the art of sword drawing, though this technique goes beyond just using a sword. With this action, the character may perform Quick Draw Simple Action (p. 165, SR5) with any melee weapon. As with the quick draw rules, the weapon must be properly sheathed or holstered in order to use the Quick Draw Action. If successful, the character can then attack with the weapon as a Simple Action instead of a Complex Action for that Action Phase. Note that use of this action requires Martial Art training.

Both the Rapid Draw adept power and the Iaijutsu martial arts technique suggest that the Quick Draw action does not include the actual attack. But if that's the case, then what's the difference between Quick Draw and Ready Weapon? The Quick Draw action, the Rapid Draw power and the Iaijutsu martial arts maneuver don't seem too consistent with each other.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #14 on: <07-27-14/0950:12> »
This really depends on how and where you have stored your weapons.

If you have a hip, back, or shoulder holster you can do a quick draw action to clear the weapon and fire in a single action.
If you have your pistol in an ankle holster, in a pocket or concealed in a bag (etc) then the ready weapon allows you to get the weapon out of storage and 'ready' it for use for a simple action.

Basically its about options... quick draw gives you a few more options at the start of combat while still putting lead on target..
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.