NEWS

SR5 - Troll Chaos Mage - can this really work?

• 17 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #15 on: <10-17-14/0616:06> »
A note on raising your attributes with karma in chargen: Freebie points.

There have been debates on whether or not this raises your freebie points for Knowledge skills or Contacts, with people noting that chargen isn't entirely strictly in order as confirmed by Aptitude/ExceptionalAttribute/Lucky as well as SAPs lasting until the very end of chargen, with all the loopholes that opens up. So the assumption of some is that you're allowed to say take I5L1, raise L2 to 2 and then have 14, not 12, knowledge skill points.

I tried it out in HeroLab and it seems to follow that trail of thought, because raising an attribute with karma in chargen does give you the freebie points in HL. You'd still have to discuss it with your GM, in case they find it cheesy, but HeroLab has it.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #16 on: <10-20-14/2249:51> »
Blades would not be used for a naginata;

I'd petition the GM for one, but they removed the damn thing; go figure.   
Pg. 422 of the CRB disagrees with you.
Pole Arms use the Blades skill, and he seems to be referring to his "Naginata" as a Pole Arm for the game mechanics of it.

I disagree with Wyrm about the skill (or well, I think I do). A naginata is a bladed weapon, no less then an axe is anyway. It'd make more sense at Blades then at Clubs at any rate. Although I don't think Axe spec would apply (polearm spec? Why not?). 
Doesn't seem to have a Specialization available but its clearly a Blade skill per Pg.422

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #17 on: <10-20-14/2348:32> »
... well, there we go then.  To be fair, I'm personally iffy, but if that's what they say, then more power to us.  Besides, it lets me kick ass and take names with that nasty naginata-with-a-telescoping-staff-for-a-haft.  Muahahahahahahahaha ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.