Shadowrun General > Gear

Higher Force Power Focus

(1/3) > >>

cartejos:
So in Step 5 of Artificing, you make an Artificing+Magic test with a limit of the focus formulas force, if I'm reading the check correctly, which is opposed by the formulas force+object resistance.

Say you're attempting to craft a Force 12 Power Focus, this means you're at max going to get 12 hits opposed by 15 dice (minimum), and the Foci's final force is your net hits.

Am I wrong somewhere or would it be impossible to craft a force 12 focus?
Does having helpers raise the limit? Is that why it's so important that a few magicians get together to create foci?

Michael Chandra:
To try that formula you'd have to be Magic 12 anyway, no? And I doubt anyone even needs a Focus at that level.

Anyway: You can only craft inside a Magical Lodge. A Lodge counts as a positive Background Count, so raises all your magical skill limits with its Force. So if you have F12 and are trying to create a Force 12 Focus in a Force 12 Lodge, your limit is 24.

And I guess technically there's no rules against teamwork tests, which both helps with hits and limit.

mbisber:
Do you really want a Force 12 Power Focus? Does your character already have Masking?

You might want to look at Extended Masking, p.149 of Street Grimoire. To mask this Focus you would need to be Magic 13.

Kiirnodel:

--- Quote from: Michael Chandra on ---To try that formula you'd have to be Magic 12 anyway, no? And I doubt anyone even needs a Focus at that level.

Anyway: You can only craft inside a Magical Lodge. A Lodge counts as a positive Background Count, so raises all your magical skill limits with its Force. So if you have F12 and are trying to create a Force 12 Focus in a Force 12 Lodge, your limit is 24.

And I guess technically there's no rules against teamwork tests, which both helps with hits and limit.

--- End quote ---

The background count of a magical lodge has been disputed quite heavily. The rules say that a lodge aspects the background to the creator, it never says that it creates a background with a count equal to the rating of the lodge.

Under that interpretation, a Rating 13 lodge would be lethal, even to its creator.

markelphoenix:

--- Quote from: Kiirnodel on ---
--- Quote from: Michael Chandra on ---To try that formula you'd have to be Magic 12 anyway, no? And I doubt anyone even needs a Focus at that level.

--- End quote ---

The background count of a magical lodge has been disputed quite heavily. The rules say that a lodge aspects the background to the creator, it never says that it creates a background with a count equal to the rating of the lodge.

Under that interpretation, a Rating 13 lodge would be lethal, even to its creator.

--- End quote ---

Why would a positive background count be lethal to it's tradition?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version