Shadowrun General > Gear

Is Mil-Spec Armor "Powered"?

(1/3) > >>

Hephaestus:
I was reading the description of the Hardened Mil-Spec Armor in run & gun, and it seems that they would need some sort of actuators to be able to move in them at all (especially the heavy armor). Is the armor motion power-assisted, or is the onboard power only for accessories/upgrades?

Michael Chandra:
I don't see anything about it involving any onboard power?_? And I'd say that the halved-movement is enough to cover the restrictions, so I wouldn't make this brickable myself.

Midnight_Creeper:
I've always assumed it was like the Juggernaut Suit from Call of Duty, a variation on the modern Advanced Bomb Suit.

Magnaric:
Just to lend some insight into the confusion, the latest stuff in 5E isn't officially powered based on the description. However, based on the accompanying artwork, anything that bulky(especially the medium and heavy versions) would have to have some sort of motion-assisted servos just in order for the wearer to move. So it's not really powered armour like Iron Man or 40K, where it allows you to punch through walls and such. In fact, because it slows down your movement speed, I'd argue it is only partially powered, and the technology behind the joints and mobility is lagging a bit behind.

Interestingly, in 4E the Milspec armour COULD be powered. There were 2 Milspec-only armour modifications that were pertty expensive, but added 1-3 extra points of strength(that stacked with the user's augmented strength), and  extra leg servos that added to the user's run speed. Both of those combined basically scream Power Armour, so I'm not sure why the designers and writers decided to remove it for 5E. Maybe they thought it was getting a bit too sci-fi for Shadowrun, and didn't fit with the whole Future Dystopia atmosphere.

Ixal:
It is probably assisted, similar to the things used in Edge of Tomorrow.
Not that SR ever paid much attention to what is powered and for how long the power lasts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version