NEWS

The current Metaplots

• 386 Replies

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #300 on: <03-28-17/1411:51> »
That complexity might make him fun to write, and maybe even fun to read in a novel. But from a player perspective? I haven't been in this long enough to know everything that he's done, but personally his complexity is what puts Puck in my cross-hairs. I know he's got a lot of baggage that I don't want to get caught up in, and what better way is there to wash my hands of him than killing him and burying him in a shallow grave in the barrens? Other reasons to kill Puck include:
  • He's not that hard to kill in meatspace.
  • Killing him is an easy way to mess with the big picture, and messing with the big picture is fun.
    • He's a big player and a Jackpointer, so killing him will probably increase my social status.
    • He's not universally liked, so I can reasonably expect to get away with killing him.
    • He's a technomancer. I have my own reasons not to like technomancers.
    • He probably thinks he's better than me.
    • He's probably only letting me live because I might be of use to him in the future.
    • He's a technomancer and a Jackpointer, so he's part of the hacker elite currently waggling their e-peens over the rest of the shadowrunning community like they're some sort of Matrix god-kings.
    And most importantly of all,
    • He's a bloody spotlight thief in False Flag. Has no one learned from that one unpleasant line of Harlequin modules?
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #301 on: <03-28-17/1442:27> »
That complexity might make him fun to write, and maybe even fun to read in a novel. But from a player perspective? I haven't been in this long enough to know everything that he's done, but personally his complexity is what puts Puck in my cross-hairs. I know he's got a lot of baggage that I don't want to get caught up in, and what better way is there to wash my hands of him than killing him and burying him in a shallow grave in the barrens? Other reasons to kill Puck include:
  • He's not that hard to kill in meatspace.
  • Killing him is an easy way to mess with the big picture, and messing with the big picture is fun.
    • He's a big player and a Jackpointer, so killing him will probably increase my social status.
    • He's not universally liked, so I can reasonably expect to get away with killing him.
    • He's a technomancer. I have my own reasons not to like technomancers.
    • He probably thinks he's better than me.
    • He's probably only letting me live because I might be of use to him in the future.
    • He's a technomancer and a Jackpointer, so he's part of the hacker elite currently waggling their e-peens over the rest of the shadowrunning community like they're some sort of Matrix god-kings.
    And most importantly of all,
    • He's a bloody spotlight thief in False Flag. Has no one learned from that one unpleasant line of Harlequin modules?
My decker NPC used to work for Renraku, and survived the Shutdown. Lost his wife and daughter, and has had a massive hate-on for Deus ever since. He has his own reasons for wanting to kill not just Puck, but all of the Whites still living. [/list]
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #302 on: <03-28-17/1524:14> »
See, that's exactly the sort of baggage I don't want to get tangled up in. Granted, every runner builds up their own list of reasons why they're on other peoples' shit lists; in the case of the streetsam I'm playing, those reasons involve shooting people, causing collateral damage to property while shooting people and giving all the survivors PTSD. You don't even want to know what I did in Kitimat in my last session. But that's nothing compared to what Puck's gotten involved in.

A Guide to Gridguide

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #303 on: <03-29-17/0244:33> »
Shadowrunners can learn?

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #304 on: <03-29-17/0900:37> »
Well, you can spend karma to improve your skills and gain new ones, can't you?

A Guide to Gridguide

Neojudas

• Newb
  • 30 Years and Counting
« Reply #305 on: <05-09-17/0016:31> »
Shadowrunners can learn?
If you have to ask the question you haven't either.  Or, you've had too much OxyCaf.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
NeoJudas (J. Keith Henry, "K" to some....)
Penumbra Games | Freelancer
"I have active characters that are older than you are..."

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #306 on: <05-09-17/0137:06> »
Looking forward to the Forbidden Arcana updates for this one.

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #307 on: <05-09-17/0542:52> »

You can send me a PM listing all the metaplot hints contained in the book, if you want to make sure I won't forget anything :p
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #308 on: <05-09-17/0855:56> »

You can send me a PM listing all the metaplot hints contained in the book, if you want to make sure I won't forget anything :p

What? And miss all the fun? Oh no.  (Plus, I'd hate to give away future stuff by accident.)

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #309 on: <05-09-17/1122:16> »
What? And miss all the fun? Oh no.  (Plus, I'd hate to give away future stuff by accident.)

There goes my cunning trap!
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #310 on: <05-09-17/1519:09> »

There goes my cunning trap!

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #311 on: <07-11-17/1311:57> »
Would like to know who current mayor of Seattle is?
So CFD?  Whats going in Boston now?
Why is the world not stepping in to end Ghostwalkers chaos in Denver?

Shadowrun needs a yearly metaplot recap.  Should resurrect State of the Art.

Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #312 on: <07-11-17/1331:54> »
I can tell you straight up why the world isn't stepping in to try and stop Ghostwalker. Simply put, they can't, not without glassing all of Denver, and even that might not work. Remember, it took a metric shitton of military gear and experimental biomanaweapons to take down Sirrurg, and the fallout from the biomanaweapon used caused everyone in Bogota to go on a mad killing spree. Now what do you think would happen if that kind of thing was launched over Denver? And where would the fallout go? What if, say, it floated over to Chicago, and woke up all those bugs that are still hibernating in the former CZ?

Without another Great Dragon or a bunch of Immortal Elves, you're not going to take Denver from Ghostwalker.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #313 on: <07-11-17/1447:29> »
Got to imagine there are diplomatic measures that can be taken short of all out war. Making it impossible to rule effectively is a viable option to glassing an innocent civilian population.  Don't get me wrong, Ripping Reality put a big smile on my face.

And I know it makes for a good story but all of current SR's meta plots seem to exist in there own vacuum.  My GM style has always been one where my players get tangled deeply in these meta plots.  That means I face a lot of questions and generally like to have a resolution or at least a chapter ending for parties involved.

It's why steered away from CFD.  It's gone from earth shaking to almost afterthought.  It's possible I'm missing something or a big reveal is still forthcoming. Just had hard time sticking with it without a direction to go.
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #314 on: <07-11-17/2146:49> »
To me it felt like there was a reevaluation of how strong CFD was as a metaphor, or how much fans liked it, and they decided to wind it down as reasonably quickly as they could.  There was quite a bit of fluff about it in Chrome Flesh, and given that they sadly don't publish adventures anymore - except for Missions and con one offs -- so there isn't a ton else to do about it.

I do have a rant brewing about how most of the cool adventure material shows up in shadow talk, but that is for another time.