NEWS

Popular Movie, Comic, Anime, Fictional Characters - How to within the rules?

• 1 Replies

Nobunaga

• Newb
« on: <12-06-10/0531:14> »
Evening once more chummers, the last post I tossed on here lasted awhile and helped a bit of lively discussion. I've come to realize this to be a pretty decent community (I know, what was I thinking...) that I wouldn't mind hearing the opinions of on a few things that have been on my mind as of late. As mentioned in the Ambidexterous and You post, my wife and I have recently got back into Shadowrun and well, to say the least, at minimum my interest is rising all the more at character concepts and the like.

Which got me thinking. Back in 3rd edition I was a part of a pretty... silly, power gaming, munchkinizing, rule-breaking and just plain weird group. People would constantly bring characters to the table who were horrendously over budget for skill points, attributes and everything else beyond. And sitting today flipping through Netflix I started thinking about creating reasonable faximilies of popular characters within the rules of your typical 400-500 point game. You see in the old group it used to be a... thing... where a few of the group would try and recreate their favorite characters, but inevitably they would involve custom rules and all they did was try and make a precise clone... I'm not really interested in custom rules per say, just using published material to create even fun-house mirror distorted clones of today's popular characters and icons.

From cars that are so supped up with Pilot and Software upgrades along with mechanical upgrades that they effectively become Optimus Prime, to the Ironman Armor and even Blade of the comic and movie's namesake... these are the kind of characters, items and legal-rule creations that I would like to see, if of course people feel the want or desire to post or create and be creative in the moment. Now obviously sacrafices must be made to stay within the rules, or custom twists to existing concepts abound... so fire away, lets share what we got, and what's come across our tables.

My attempt at The Ironman Armor...

Heavy Military Armor 20,000
Military Helmet (Commlink R6 Upgrade) 10,000+8,500
Hydralic Jacks Upgrade 6 [7] 9,000
Mobility Upgrade 3 [6] 7,500
Quick Release Upgrade [2] 500
Strength Upgrade 3 [3] 4,500
Implanted Weaponry (Ares Redline Pistol) [6] 3,200
Radio Signal Scanner R6 Helmet Upgrade 150
Radar Sensor R6 Helmet Upgrade 1,200
Vision Enhancement R3 Helmet Upgrade 300
Thermographic Visual Helmet Upgrade 100
Low Light Visual Helmet Upgrade 100
Ultrasound Visual Helmet Upgrade 1,000
Software Helmet Upgrade
   -Facial Recignition R6 3,000
   -Noise Analysis R6 3,000
   -Visual Spotter R6 3,000
   -Vehicle Identification R6 3,000
   -Voice Recignition R6 3,000
   -Weapon Watcher R6 3,000
   -Wildlife Spotter R6 3,000
Commlink Personality Upgrade 100
Lockhead Sparrow Upgrade 19500    108,750

Description: Obviously the Heavy Military Armor was a given... everything else is pretty fairly based on what could be possible by Capacity, Availibility, Rules...etc. The only grey area in the item concept is placing the Lockhead Sparrow vehicle into it. Likely it would be something the armor-wearer simply steps into and it attaches to the main armor, or it could even be fully integrated as a backpack, as by pictures of the "vehicle" (and the real-world plans/vehicle it's based on), the majority of the vehicle is a place to stand and controls, if done by DNI or Wireless, I could see it being integrated.

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #1 on: <12-06-10/0825:41> »
Personally I'd start with the Mitsuhama Otomo drone upsized to fit a pilot, which isn't a mod per se but pretty much means the armor has to be built from the ground up rather than modified. The main benefit is that when you add armor, its hardened. Then you can rip out the sensors and customize as needed, upgrade its Matrix attributes and programs.

The Horseman with advanced cargo module modified with a walker is also a good starting point for all your light power armor needs. For more insane anthroforms, start with the Trucks section of Arsenal and modify away. If you're designing something for someone with no upper budget, the Military vehicle section could work, too.