NEWS

Datajack capacity

• 13 Replies

Bradd

• Omae
« on: <12-03-10/1650:52> »
How much can you plug into a datajack? Is there a limit? If so, I would expect to see something like a "datajack hub," but I haven't spotted anything like that.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #1 on: <12-03-10/1913:41> »
I'm pretty sure it says somewhere in the rules that with modern (SR world modern) compression techniques and whatnot, data storage isn't really much of a concern.  I wouldn't worry about it unless you're trying to download an entire corp mainframe or something.  (Why they would have a mainframe is another question.)

Sorry I can't give more precise help, but I don't have my books on me.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <12-03-10/2056:49> »
I would assume the limit is one, it's essentially an USB port in your skull.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <12-03-10/2102:57> »
It doesn't actually say how much memory a Datajack has online, but I'd put it that it would be like today's flash drives. Good for some files, but if you're grabbing paydata off the corp network, you'll need a commlink to hold the data.

As for the Capacity of a Datajack, if you integrate it into a cyberlimb (or cyberskull) it takes one capacity slot. Of course, you can implant as many datajacks as your heart desires, but there really isn't a reason for more than one unless you're thinking of networking without going wireless.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #4 on: <12-03-10/2151:37> »
Judging by your talk about a "datajack hub", I'm guessing you mean to ask how many ports a datajack has. There's nothing in the RAW that says a datajack has or doesn't have multiple fiber ports. However, since it's singular, "datajack", not plural, I would reason that it's a single jack (if you want more, buy more).

As for storage space:
Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 218, A Note On... Storage Memory
Storage memory and data compression technologies by 2072 allow vast amounts of information to be stored in relatively minute spaces. For the most part, gamemasters and players can assume that characters have enough storage memory on any particular device to meet their needs, so there is no need to micromanage file sizes and available memory. The gamemaster can rule in some situations that a particular device is full or does not have the capacity needed to store something new, though this should be reserved for either small devices and/or massively large file collections. The ease and availability of wireless networking, however, means that even in cases like this, the character can quickly transfer the file to any number of other personal or remote storage devices.

In other words, if it's not specifically plot relevant, or mind-bogglingly stupid ("I download the entire Library of Congress to my datajack." "Wait, what!"), never, ever, waste game time debating storage space.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #5 on: <12-04-10/0147:21> »
Datajacks are assumed to be one port each, or at least were in previous editions. Datajacks now work as chipjacks, too (right?) and those were definitely one chip per slot. There's a Cyberware Suite that has three, so clearly there's a need for more than one in some situations. Having said that, with the prevalence of wireless and skinlinks, you commlink can serve as a hub if you want to wire a bunch of stuff for throughput to your head.

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <12-04-10/0255:20> »
Take this as you will but I would presume that datajacks either accomodate multiple devices or inexpensively add a hub. Under fourth edition rules they are gimped enough as it is.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #7 on: <12-04-10/0809:04> »
I you really want micromanagement like this, you should use the DR (Device Rating) of the datajack to see how many subscriptions it can hold, at ones. ;)
The other fluffy benefit here is that the category of the Cyberware has a major impact on the DR, so that a deltaware datajack is every Hackers dream. ;)

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <12-04-10/0907:49> »
I you really want micromanagement like this, you should use the DR (Device Rating) of the datajack to see how many subscriptions it can hold, at ones. ;)
The other fluffy benefit here is that the category of the Cyberware has a major impact on the DR, so that a deltaware datajack is every Hackers dream. ;)

So now you need to assign device ratings to datajacks (look at the book, no rating), not to mention developing a scale for essence, capacity, availability and cost based on rating. No thanks.

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #9 on: <12-04-10/0933:19> »
No, look again!
(see SR4A, p. 222, sample devices table)
Every Cyberware has a DR. Headware like a datajack has DR 3, alphaware 4, betaware 5 and deltaware 6. All in one table.

Edit: And Subscription limit (p. 224) is System or DR x2.
« Last Edit: <12-04-10/0947:07> by Ultra Violet »

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <12-04-10/1154:16> »
No, look again!
(see SR4A, p. 222, sample devices table)
Every Cyberware has a DR. Headware like a datajack has DR 3, alphaware 4, betaware 5 and deltaware 6. All in one table.

Fair enough.

Edit: And Subscription limit (p. 224) is System or DR x2.

It's still a datajack, not jacks, subscriptions /= hardware ports.

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #11 on: <12-04-10/1833:43> »
Why subscription as base?

On the subscription part is a sentence that might be used to clear it up, a bit.
Quote from: SR4A, p. 224
A subscription is a two-way communications link through the Matrix. This is a steady link that can be maintained for extended periods of time. You must subscribe to a node if you want to “travel” to it in the Matrix, which means that you must be able to either connect with it directly (with a wired connection, or when within mutual Signal range) or by establishing a route through the Matrix network.
You see subscriptions can be wired connections, by implication means, you couldn't use more than subscription limit allows you or you can use as many, up to this limit, at ones. ;)

But IMHO I think it looks a little bit like the magnetic ports you can see in todays implants.

Imaging an adapter/router with more slots for cables and chips, than here shown. The adapter/router is IMHO a part of the cable package (no extra charge).

Only to mention it again, that is if you really want the micromanagement. On most game-tables (I know) the GM decides it in a blink of an eye or after one dice role, if it's important for the story. ;D
« Last Edit: <12-04-10/1843:10> by Ultra Violet »

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <12-06-10/0640:06> »
Sorry about the ambiguity! I was asking how many ports they have.

Take this as you will but I would presume that datajacks either accomodate multiple devices or inexpensively add a hub. Under fourth edition rules they are gimped enough as it is.

This is my preference too. As Nomad Zophiel suggests, commlinks work well as hubs. The rules don't say how many wired ports those have either, but clearly they must have some to accommodate things like sim modules and datajack connections. I was just wondering whether there was anything more solid in the rules.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #13 on: <12-06-10/0645:30> »
Well, you can always jack some kind of multi-port gadget, that would allow him to have multiple devices connected to the datajack. Though i'd go with a rule that would degrade Response by the number of devices.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."