NEWS

Can Spirits Cast Spells?

• 11 Replies

Ed

• Newb
« on: <11-30-10/2226:11> »
Can Spirits cast spells?  I am aware that Ally Spirits are capable of casting magical spells.  I know that your 'generic' spirits can cast a spell using the Critter Power 'Innate Spell'.

I guess I'm wondering if Spirits can get the Magician Quality or the abiliy to cast and/or learn spells if they're simply Free spirits?

I was reading about the 'Fey' in Running Wild and as I like using unique NPC's and the trials and tribulations associated with the Fey, I was wondering if there was such a thing as a Fairy Godmother who had a repetoire of spells.

What are your thoughts?

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <12-01-10/0428:27> »
spirits who have the relevant spirit/critter power 'inate spell' can cast Spirits of Man being the main one off the top of my head. Player Free spirits can cast and as far as I know NPC Free Spirits can aswell.

Normal spirits have powers rather then spells
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #2 on: <12-01-10/1415:19> »
Of course, if those normal spirits go free all bets are off.  And the GM can always modify them and mix things up a bit to keep the players on their toes.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-01-10/1436:01> »
Of course, if those normal spirits go free all bets are off.
Huh?
If they go free, then their free spirits and can cast spells just like all other free spirits.
Well at least after they have learned their first spell they can.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #4 on: <12-01-10/1440:01> »
I meant that if one of those regular fire or water or whatever spirits without the Innate Spell power become free than they can gain the ability to cast spells.  Despite ostensibly still being a fire or water spirit or whatever.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #5 on: <12-01-10/1658:25> »
I meant that if one of those regular fire or water or whatever spirits without the Innate Spell power become free than they can gain the ability to cast spells.  Despite ostensibly still being a fire or water spirit or whatever.

Quote from:  Street Magic, pg. 106, New Powers
     Every free spirit gains the Magician quality (p. 79, SR4) and the Banishing Resistance power (p. 99) the moment they go free. Free spirits can learn and cast spells as a magician does, but are not bound by spirit correspondences of metahuman paradigms. Though a free spirit never needs spell formulae (learning the spell intuitively from observation of mana flow), it still needs to spend Karma and time to learn spells. The free spirit will likely need to learn the Spellcasting skill. Note that free spirits can never learn any skills from the Conjuring skill group, nor may a free spirit inhabiting a vessel astrally project unless it has the Astral Projection power (p. 109).

Yep, they gain the ability to cast spells automagically when they become free spirits. But, now it needs to learn the Spellcasting skill & any spells it would like to know. And, it can't summon, for what that's worth.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Ed

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <12-04-10/1940:29> »
I appreciate the responses, what are your thoughts on having spirits (fey) being able to summon additional help?  I.E. members of the Wild Hunt bringing in additional Horsemen or Hounds to deal with threats.  Or for that matter, any free spirit bringing in additional assistance?  Is that better handled as GM Fiat or should some mechanics be utilized, i.e. the Conjuring or Summoning Rules or something similar?

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <12-04-10/2019:49> »
I would GM fiat that one. Travel in the astral is "speed of thought", so if a group of fey needs backup, one can quickly de-materialize, shunt back to their friends & have backup in a jiffy.

As a general rule, everything I've read suggests that summoning "per se" should be out of bounds for spirits.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <12-06-10/0758:50> »
Spirits can't generally use the Conjuring group at all, for any reason.  They might be able to ask for help, though, which is a different thing entirely and one not covered by the rules.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #9 on: <12-06-10/1720:01> »
Indeed.  As far as I know, nothing prevents a pissed off spirit from going home, getting his buddies then having them all come back and beat the ever-loving shit out of someone.  Honestly, I'm kind of surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <12-06-10/1804:52> »
Indeed.  As far as I know, nothing prevents a pissed off spirit from going home, getting his buddies then having them all come back and beat the ever-loving shit out of someone.  Honestly, I'm kind of surprised it doesn't happen more often.

The GM's that mean don't keep players? Unless, of course, all their players are masochists...

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <12-07-10/0532:57> »
If it makes sense as a consequence of mistreating your spirits, then I think it's legitimate.  Players often quite like that (although granted, I doubt any of my group would have liked it when we were teenagers, so maybe age changes what you enjoy in a game).
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile