Milspec Tech

• 73 Replies

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #15 on: <02-20-11/1540:16> »
I'm happy to have MPUVs back.
Why do you like them?
They're the bastard children of a Jeep, a compact car, and a Kübelwagen!

Does that mean if you give them an amphibious package they would be a Schwimmwagen:-D

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #16 on: <02-20-11/1704:03> »
That's what I'd call it.  Or a Seep.   :P

Schwimmeep?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #17 on: <02-20-11/1732:25> »
That's what I'd call it.  Or a Seep.   :P

Schwimmeep?

I do like the idea of an MPUV driving through Seattle...with an Anchor on the side. That would leave a lot of  :o faces in it's wake
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #18 on: <02-20-11/1742:10> »
Actually, it's probably the only "Military" vehicle you could drive through any city without getting too many eyebrows raised.  There's enough military surplus models sold at auction that they're probably almost common.  The Ring-Turret and Searchlight have probably been removed, but it's still a good vehicle to have a winch on the front of and not get a second notice.  (And, come on people, you should have great ideas what you can do with a high-tension winch cable!).

And, frankly, they're perfect for driving in the deepest, darkest Barrens if they still have the ring-turret mount.  Upgrade the armor, drop on that Ingram White Knight, load in that belt of tracer ammo, and there you go!

I also picture there being a jerry can on the back, and an entrenching tool mount in the passenger's door, and a rifle rack on the dashboard.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <02-20-11/1828:56> »
I also picture there being a jerry can on the back, and an entrenching tool mount in the passenger's door, and a rifle rack on the dashboard.
Err, what sort of tobacco-chewing, pig-squealing redneck has a gun-rack on the DASHBOARD?  ???

'Hey, Jim-bob! Pick up them shotguns so's I can see through 'dat 'dere 'dang windscreen'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #20 on: <02-20-11/1847:32> »
Err, what sort of tobacco-chewing, pig-squealing redneck has a gun-rack on the DASHBOARD?  ???

'Hey, Jim-bob! Pick up them shotguns so's I can see through 'dat 'dere 'dang windscreen'
Some of the WWII Jeeps had a mount where you could put an M1 Carbine, IIRC.  That's where the idea came from.

Door Holsters are common modifications to vehicles in my games.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <02-20-11/1910:36> »
Door Holsters are common modifications to vehicles in my games.
And that makes perfect sense..

But that's the standard difference between a holster (singular firearm) vs rack (mutliple firearms)

Even so, though, are you going to fit a full sized rifle into a Door holster?
Maybe a sawn-off or SMG, sure... but anything bigger is going to invade into the window-space...

Phreak Commandment V:

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #22 on: <02-20-11/2113:36> »
In-game, as a GM, I've ruled they can accept SMGs and smaller, with modifications needed for whichever you put in there.  (Holsters aren't exactly interchangeable exactly.  You want one at least partially designed for your weapon.  Pistols are a bit easier, but...).

The rack for the WWII Jeep was only for 1 M1 Carbine.  I think I saw it being used in "A Bridge Too Far", but my DVD of that is missing at the moment so I can't watch it to confirm.  (It was in the scene with the NCO racing to get his injured officer to the medical center.).

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <02-20-11/2125:23> »
The rack for the WWII Jeep was only for 1 M1 Carbine.  I think I saw it being used in "A Bridge Too Far", but my DVD of that is missing at the moment so I can't watch it to confirm.  (It was in the scene with the NCO racing to get his injured officer to the medical center.).
And for an open-top (or soft-top) vehicle used in an active war zone, I'd be more inclined to believe a single sturdy rifle could be stored on the dash ;)

But please, let's not start with
- a windscreen full of racked guns and
- a pair of hicks driving down Seattle, singing'
- We're hunting gangers... huhuhuhhuhuhuhuhuhhhhh....

Phreak Commandment V:

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #24 on: <02-20-11/2132:25> »
*Sighs*  You just described the PCs in my group...  Only the guns are in the back of a Primer Grey Roadmaster.

Honestly, I don't know who is more frustrated, the Hacker of the group or me.   :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #25 on: <02-20-11/2145:14> »
"Drive faster; I hear banjos."
Why not mount the weapons in your vehicle?  Or, maybe some kind of Smart Firing Platform in the back...notexactly subtle, but you could throw a tarp over it.
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #26 on: <02-20-11/2202:43> »
Because the owner still wants to drive the thing in the major parts of the city.

Never mind that rolling down the window and letting a cop see inside the vehicle will get SWAT Drones on their hoops in five seconds flat.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <02-20-11/2212:20> »
*Sighs*  You just described the PCs in my group...  Only the guns are in the back of a Primer Grey Roadmaster.

Honestly, I don't know who is more frustrated, the Hacker of the group or me.   :P
I'm sorry, your team drives a Roadmaster? And Primer Grey is their idea of making it 'subtle'?!  :o

Phreak Commandment V:

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #28 on: <02-20-11/2224:54> »
I'm sorry, your team drives a Roadmaster? And Primer Grey is their idea of making it 'subtle'?!  :o
Yeah, it isn't a Citymaster!

Actually, Roadmasters are, supposedly, like large vans (Armored Cube Vans, basically).

Roadmasters are used for goods that need secure transportation, though the tradeoff is that a Roadmaster is anything but low-key. Very well armored for a vehicle that drives on public streets...

So, they're on the roads and seen, but they're not exactly common or low-key.  Which sums up my group to a tittle.  At least they're a bit like the Pink Mohawk days fun...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <02-20-11/2245:01> »
Roadmasters are used for goods that need secure transportation, though the tradeoff is that a Roadmaster is anything but low-key. Very well armored for a vehicle that drives on public streets...

So, they're on the roads and seen, but they're not exactly common or low-key.  Which sums up my group to a tittle.  At least they're a bit like the Pink Mohawk days fun...
*laughs* I always likened them to the Security van that gets money from the bank or ATM's. OK, it's frequent enough on city streets that nobody wonders what it's doing driving around.... but if it has no Comopany markings, that has GOT to send up some warning flags.

A mate of mine has a converted ambulance as his camper-van. Plenty of room, completely legal and common enough that it doesn't get queried while driving around. But as soon as you stop and get out, complete strangers want to come up and chat about how it drives, where he got it, whether he got to keep all the blinky lights, how he converted it etc....

It's legal, but it's big and draws attention. I always thought a Roadmaster would do the same....

Phreak Commandment V: