NEWS

Map-Building Shenanigans

• 13 Replies

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« on: <01-23-15/1223:05> »
So, I've been wanting to draw up maps for buildings/locations in Shadowrun, and I recently had an idea I could use some help with;

Making maps/scenarios/buildings on Minecraft. 

Provided we get everyone involved on the same scale/idea, I think doing that would be an excellent idea.  Three dimensional models, use redstone stuff to work out a lot of effects, things like that.  My one issue is that I can't just make stuff in Minecraft without buddies- the game bores the hell out of me if it's not Survival or if I'm alone. 

Anybody interested in trying to set this up with me? 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-23-15/1236:10> »
Often when i need to make buildings i just go to google and type out what I'm looking for. Such as laboratory blueprints then going to the images page

Still it would be boss to make them in 3d, then add monster spawns, and make minecraft shadowrun  ;)

Edit) Lol we should suggest that seeing as how Microsoft owns both rights now XD
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-23-15/1343:17> »
I don't know enough on Minecraft to be much help, but....there are some mods out there that might be a starting point.

Someone that plays Minecraft more regularly might know about other mods --- or be interested in building a mod, that would help your map project take off.  :)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <01-23-15/1420:23> »
if you want to get your hands on actual blue prints to use, all prints and drawings for a building are required by law to be filed with the City planner's office and can be accessed with a "Freedom of information" request and a nominal fee (usually $10 to $25).

From there you can photocopy them and use them for your runs. Save your self some time and money, and know the physical addresses to the buildings and submit your request all at once to cut down on the cost.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #4 on: <01-23-15/1429:17> »
if you want to get your hands on actual blue prints to use, all prints and drawings for a building are required by law to be filed with the City planner's office and can be accessed with a "Freedom of information" request and a nominal fee (usually $10 to $25).

From there you can photocopy them and use them for your runs. Save your self some time and money, and know the physical addresses to the buildings and submit your request all at once to cut down on the cost.

Which is completely besides the point of making full-scale maps to use, as a group and for a group.  Othewise, it's a decent idea. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #5 on: <01-23-15/1449:02> »
pointing out an option that doesn't involve you or others spending dozens to hundreds of hours in front of a screen. (especially since you, yourself, point out that minecraft bores you)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #6 on: <01-23-15/1508:53> »
pointing out an option that doesn't involve you or others spending dozens to hundreds of hours in front of a screen. (especially since you, yourself, point out that minecraft bores you)

And like I said, that's only when I'm playing by myself in Creative Mode.  Groups make it fun, Survival makes it fun. 

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-23-15/1534:53> »
yeah seems like a good way to make some friends too. You guys can talk about SR shenanigans while you build that new corp research lab!
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #8 on: <01-24-15/0123:02> »
Enh.  I prefer hunting for ready-made floor plans, myself.  Especially if it's a RL building...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #9 on: <01-24-15/0141:18> »
Minecraft is a good tool for something like what MijRai is proposing.  Another tool I've seen people use is the Sims.  Especially with custom items and art.  There are some other nice tools for building maps, but like others I prefer the hunt.  I found that my local tax assessor's office usually has a huge pile of blueprints that are being thrown away.  They're almost always buildings that have finished going through the approval process or have been torn down.  As a result, I have blueprints for almost every fast food place in my city and more than a couple of city buildings.  They can be a real nightmare to navigate though as I don't actually have any serious experience with reading blueprints.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #10 on: <01-24-15/0157:49> »
Clearly you need to spend a point of karma to pick up KS: Engineering!!
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #11 on: <01-24-15/1233:10> »
Blueprints are fun.  I spent about 4 years studying architecture as a hobby when I was in school. 

Also, I've been doing a solo proof-of-concept build for the map idea;I've been creating a fancy KE precinct house.  I've got the sublevel 2/3rd done (to include holding cells and interview rooms), the parking garage, the main entrance, and about 40 meters of street and sidewalk, along with a short stretch of unfinished sewer.  Only problem is cleaning the snow up every few hours (for some reason it decided to be a snowy superflat world).  I've been careful to make ceilings and certain doorways metahuman friendly, while others would force your average troll to duck (i.e. holding cell doorways). 

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-24-15/1628:16> »
could you use the shadowrun returns level editor for this as well? I've never used it myself so i dont know how user friendly it is or how many options are available. If it did work you could make whole runs and  then share them :)

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #13 on: <01-24-15/1630:16> »
I've never used it either, but it could be a possibility.