NEWS

Shadowrun 6e Twilight Sins Ending

• 170 Replies

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #165 on: <09-24-19/2254:39> »
I haven't even made it to the video in question yet. I'm still on part 1 of their first mission.

I guess one question I have is this: did people actually see their game sessions, or did they only watch the "Why we won't be playing 6th Edition" video?

Having watched the two prologue missions and half of the first part of the first mission, the GM does seem to have some bias against the new ruleset even from the get-go. And while it seems like they do make some mistakes, some of which would have been cleared up by errata from what I can gather, it seems to me like they suffer from change fatigue after just a few hours in.

I'm curious to see if they improve at all over the next several hours before they eventually call it quits. And, I do hope there are other streamers out there who will do 6th Edition, because I do find them quite entertaining to watch.

wraith

• Chummer
  • just another ghost in the machine
« Reply #166 on: <09-25-19/0120:30> »

If you are telling 12000 people something, make sure you have it right. Not a single mention " we reached out to CGL for a comment"  - which according to you, is what I am supposed to do concerning factual disagreements with authors.

Tone argument, would apply if the argument was constructed accordingly to previously mentioned standards, which was not. In addition calling out tone argument on me is actually using tone argument by yourself.

Why would they, or even why should they need to reach out to the publisher rather than judging the material as not fit for purpose as published?

They didn't decide this was in a state to send to print.  That was CGL, struggling to have hardcopy for GenCon.

Having watched the two prologue missions and half of the first part of the first mission, the GM does seem to have some bias against the new ruleset even from the get-go. And while it seems like they do make some mistakes, some of which would have been cleared up by errata from what I can gather, it seems to me like they suffer from change fatigue after just a few hours in.

Check the dates. The early episodes were filmed before errata existed, and in part the errata came to be due to issues called out from watching live plays.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #167 on: <09-25-19/0123:33> »
6we has things that can be fairly criticized.

However, one thing that isn't a fair criticism is that it's not an outreach to gamers only familiar with games designed, oh...this century.  Even if it were a FU to gamers who've played SR for 20-30 years (and it isn't) it's still fundamentally an attempt to make the game more palatable to modern gaming tastes.

So to you, what part of it outreach to players who played SR for the last 20-30 years?
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #168 on: <09-25-19/0141:39> »
Are we done discussing the video? If so, let's get on to other topics and I'll lock this one since it's not serving any productive purpose.
Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Golbez

• Newb
« Reply #169 on: <09-25-19/0344:18> »
Are we done discussing the video? If so, let's get on to other topics and I'll lock this one since it's not serving any productive purpose.

Close it, discussion is not anymore about the video.

Summary; They tried 6e,  concluded it was not for them, brought up the obvious errors (pre errata) ,balance issues and they didn't liked the Edge metagame, so they moved back to the previous version (forgetting that 5e was far from perfect in the beginning)

If they really wanted to be Streamers with influence in the Shadowrun scene, they would have put more effort in trying to make it work, 6e is here, and it is not going away soon.

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #170 on: <09-25-19/0427:09> »
If they really wanted to be Streamers with influence in the Shadowrun scene, they would have put more effort in trying to make it work, 6e is here, and it is not going away soon.
Roll4It is pulling down north of $5k/month on Patreon, so I suspect they’re doing alright.

Very dismayed at the amount of shooting-the-messenger in this thread. We’ve had a lot of people in the community, on forums and Reddit, express their feelings about 6e. We’ve had numerous very poor customer reviews on DriveThruRPG. We’ve had big streaming channels throw in the towel on 6e. I don’t know what it takes for people to start taking these issues seriously and not dismissing all the criticisms out of hand as being biased and worthless. I can only hope Catalyst’s staff are less blasé.