NEWS

Technomancer thoughts

• 16 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« on: <02-20-12/1258:57> »
So Dissonant technomancers have been around for a while. They're essentially the digital equivalent of toxic mages. Corporate Intrigue introduced the idea of some ritual technomancy. That got me thinking.

What else can ritual technomancy do?

Is there the equivalent of Blood Mages for technomancers?

What would the digital equivalent of HMHVV be?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #1 on: <02-20-12/1340:51> »
I'd think TM Blood Magic would be some kind of information corruption-ripping out lines of a resonance being's code to build the "blood" code, having the in-game effect of draining Resonance and possibly making sacrificed TMd catatonic.

Digital HMHVV is a scary thought. It would have to create Resonance beings that feed on Resonance.  Maybe with varieties based on Stream instead of metatype, so Technoshamans feed on sprites but others could feed on Resonance Wells or other Technomancers.

Human Resonance Degradation Syndrome (HaRDS), where they have to drain Resonance or become a Fader?

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-20-12/1450:04> »
Now these are some nasty thoughts...<hurridly scribbles in the GM notebook of DOOOM>  ;D
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #3 on: <02-20-12/2153:03> »
These are definitely good ideas to follow tracks on. +1s all around. :)
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

wizard_of_ozzy

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <03-01-12/2252:08> »
I've been thinking about Blood Technomancy a lot recently, mainly in how it would be incorporated into a game. I figured a TM (dissonant or otherwise) could use his blood kinda like a stealth tag. Or maybe enough blood on a device would allow them to connect to that device like skinlink would allow. That's not particularly evil enough for dissonant so maybe they'd drag people into the matrix with that echo that can force people into hotsim with a subdue check. Then for it's time for some ritual matrix torture to summon up a sprite Cthulhu. Also, resonance vamps sound like an awesome thing to fight.

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #5 on: <03-04-12/0354:19> »
Digital HMHVV is a scary thought. It would have to create Resonance beings that feed on Resonance.  Maybe with varieties based on Stream instead of metatype, so Technoshamans feed on sprites but others could feed on Resonance Wells or other Technomancers.

Human Resonance Degradation Syndrome (HaRDS), where they have to drain Resonance or become a Fader?

Now THAT is awesome.

IIRC (and I've been off a lot lately), wasn't Pax looking for ways to drain Resonance Wells for power to sustain herself from fading? She strikes me as a prime candidate. Sort of Shadowrun's digital Caine. ;)

Another decent idea is a program that is supplementing it's degrading programming by pirating it off of others. Maybe somehow this creates a code-virus that is organic enough in nature to actually affect a biological "hybrid" like a Technomancer? We've seen that some Technomancer disciplines are more than Matrix-usable, like their equivalent of skillwires and the like. What's to say a sufficiently complex code couldn't have the capacity to rewrite elements of genetic code by the same principle?

*blinks*

1) This is reminding me of Code Upgrades in BloodNet.

2) Hey Mirikon... you feel like writing up an adventure proposal for the good people of Catalyst with me? I kinda wanna explore this professionally...
« Last Edit: <03-04-12/0358:44> by Red »
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-04-12/0736:21> »
Sounds like fun. Email me, and let's get working.

My Characters

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #7 on: <03-18-12/2313:47> »
will be anxiously awaiting this (even if it's strictly non-canon)
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #8 on: <03-25-12/2105:30> »
great now i'm gonna have to work on re-writing "Shadows of the Arcology" a story i was working on in concert with someone on the shadowrun writers forum
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <03-26-12/1814:18> »
So.... when can my AI manifest hirself* in "meatspace"?

* Not a typo. My AI used to be the Seattle Public Library and is a stictler for proper grammar.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <03-26-12/1816:55> »
They already can, sortof.

1) Project an AR avatar that anyone with AR can see.
2) Get some schmuck victim unfortunate soul volunteer to get fitted with a Stirrup Interface like they use on biodrones, and then use the metahuman biodrone as your home node.

My Characters

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <03-26-12/1822:56> »
I was (mostly) joking... and for the record, his/her favorite means of interaction with "patrons" was to aggressivly take over and then spider whatever building the team was in. AI's make spooky spiders.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #12 on: <03-26-12/2026:48> »
AI's make spooky spiders.

"Jubal Early, I'm not on the ship. I'm in the ship. I am the ship"

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #13 on: <03-26-12/2202:18> »
hmm, TMs and sprites that can use hammer like attacks or maybe even resonance trodes to drain people mentally in some way.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #14 on: <03-29-12/0801:01> »
In one of my stories Ive used kind of Resonance well (also this place had Mana Void, those things just dont stack in my mind) near false magnetic pole on Madagascar - mountain full of iron etc. There was an ancient ruin on that mountain, hidden in the stone labyrinth (each layer of the labyrinth was -1 to mana down to 0) and in those ruins, there was top secret archaeological site with elevator leading very very deep into the Caer from 4th world (with -8 Background, +8 Resonance well)
Based on the Earthdawn adventure Deep troube (IMO in the Throal Adventuures soucebook, but Im not sure right now), I kept most settings the same as it was for the dwarf city noted there, with a few changes: Hi-tech cyberware, electronics and weapons facilities in the core base of the city, surrounded by impenetrable darness. Explorers cooperating with free sprite do decipher what they can from ruins all around (since this Caer has fallen) they havd explored some distant corners, well not everything. City is rued by the court, and most tech is in hands of technomancers who are keeping tech running: one operating geothermal powerstation, one operating drone facility and one operating Cyberware facility.
Why and how team get informations on this site, and why they had visited the place itself is irelevant, well during their stay they were asked for a favour...as the outsiders who are able to keep their mouth shout their were sent to reestablish automatic perimeter and rebuilt geo turbine in the area with underground water reservers, that were vital for the "city". Due to EMP stormsoutside proective field aroun the base, kept by technmancers, the were moving only slow, tracing their way with laser link transeivers in poles.
The hiden quest inside of this was to explore the area, following previous team disappeared and reported as dangerous by other stalkers, explorers and independet scavengers.
Not that they met some hororr scenes during the way etc.
Finaly they fount the cave...place...like silicon hell...where resonance itself materializes in form of crystals and wild sprites were able to materialize, using EMP and electricity attacks based on offensive programs.
In the deepest cave they found remains of waste battlefield and also remains of the Horror slain here eons ago. His material form destroyed and his spirit trapped in manavoid, he slowly become resonance being, shaping and altering everything around.
Technomancers, playing false game on the base inhabitants, were from disonant tribe, responsible for most ECM in the area (which they called Resonance storms) were trying to help the Genius loci to find its way to manifest itself in some kind of Resonance being...maybe the first Resonance Horror entity

The rest is history...treason, trap, imprisonement escape, revelation, constant struggle for survival and final cataclysmatic battle...standard shadowrun... :)
« Last Edit: <03-29-12/0841:35> by Sichr »