NEWS

[SR4a] Archetypes: replacements for the Sample Characters

• 411 Replies

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #255 on: <06-09-12/1136:41> »
It's Restricted Gear, a quality from Runner's Compendium.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #256 on: <06-09-12/1417:06> »
It seems all the magic characters have Power Foci rating 4. That item has availability 20, which is clearly higher than 12 allowed usually. Is that some mission related thing (I don't play missions, just home games)?

They have Restricted Gear to get that which you can take three times for 5 BP each to get an item of availability up to 20 each time (still have to pay for it).
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

bmoham

• Newb
« Reply #257 on: <06-10-12/1958:33> »
I'm sure the answer to this question is obvious, but I've poked around a bit and can't figure it out.
Why don't the matrix characters have higher electronic warfare or cybercombat?

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #258 on: <06-10-12/2149:22> »
EW is a skill that you need primarily to find nodes. You find them by making tests that are typically not that time-sensitive and are Extended, and also simply have an upper limit on how good you need to be. It's not a good idea to have 0 EW, but you don't really need to be great at it. It would be nice to have more than 1, but it's not as important as other things that the points can go to.

Cybercombat is generally just a waste of time. Participating in cybercombat is playing a pointless game that you can't win; the way to win is going to involve using absolute effects like removing people from the node, unloading IC, jamming, or the like. Being good at hacking is primarily about not getting caught.

bmoham

• Newb
« Reply #259 on: <06-13-12/1353:46> »
I see. Thanks.
I'm new to SR and working through the archtypes has been helpful in getting a feel for character optimization.

khirareq

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #260 on: <06-18-12/1038:43> »
I tried putting Bad Enough Trog into Chummer and immediately failed.  I couldn't find the Biocompatibility quality and gave up.  I had earlier tried to create him in WizDoc's excel character creater, but was stymied by my inability to find an Overcoat, Ruthenium Coating or a place to put the second comlink.  Is there a character generator that will take these things?  I'd like some pretty character sheets to hand out to my players on Sunday.

Yogi

• Omae
« Reply #261 on: <06-18-12/1128:28> »
I tried putting Bad Enough Trog into Chummer and immediately failed.  I couldn't find the Biocompatibility quality and gave up.  I had earlier tried to create him in WizDoc's excel character creater, but was stymied by my inability to find an Overcoat, Ruthenium Coating or a place to put the second comlink.  Is there a character generator that will take these things?  I'd like some pretty character sheets to hand out to my players on Sunday.

Make sure that you have all the books checked so that the books are available to be used.  By default chummer only uses the Core book. 

Go under  Tools and then options.  there you can select what books you want the program to use.  After making the change you will need to close Chummer and relaunch it so the changes take effect.
Thoughts
Speaking
Comlink

khirareq

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #262 on: <06-18-12/1701:20> »
Done and done!  That worked like a charm.  Bad Enough Trog is done.  The sheet still lists his Aptitude as Unarmed Combat, of course it should be the Spur.  I got Burnout Combat Mage done as well, though there were some complications.  The price listed for the cyberlegs doesn't add, and you can't get the full customized +3/+3 or +4/+3 for the legs.  All you can afford is +2/+2 and +3/+2.  So, I changed that.  Then I took the right leg down to +2/+2, nixed the microsensor rangefinder and an Overdrive to add in the Machine Pistol with 100 regular ammo in the left leg.  It makes no sense to me that he knows how to use a Cybergun in his leg, but he doesn't have one.  I'm sure it would confuse a new player as well.

I'll keep working on these and let you know what I am finding as I do them.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #263 on: <06-18-12/1844:22> »
Done and done!  That worked like a charm.  Bad Enough Trog is done.  The sheet still lists his Aptitude as Unarmed Combat, of course it should be the Spur.  I got Burnout Combat Mage done as well, though there were some complications.  The price listed for the cyberlegs doesn't add, and you can't get the full customized +3/+3 or +4/+3 for the legs.  All you can afford is +2/+2 and +3/+2.  So, I changed that.  Then I took the right leg down to +2/+2, nixed the microsensor rangefinder and an Overdrive to add in the Machine Pistol with 100 regular ammo in the left leg.  It makes no sense to me that he knows how to use a Cybergun in his leg, but he doesn't have one.  I'm sure it would confuse a new player as well.

I'll keep working on these and let you know what I am finding as I do them.

You're correct about the Aptitude.

You're correct about the leg customizations. Oops! It would be best to have 3/1 and 4/1 rather than 2/2 and 3/2, because of body averaging, which is what I'm changing it to.

With respect to the cybergun: cyber machine pistol is 16R, thus not available at chargen. That's why there's space for a gun, but no actual gun; it's listed in the suggested purchases.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #264 on: <06-20-12/2022:42> »
First post is slightly updated; nothing major.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #265 on: <07-06-12/0637:16> »
Hi there,

These are really great, thank you!  I am going to use some of them as an opposing runner team in my next adventure.

I had a question, which I realise might have been addressed elsewhere in the thread.

Pg. 333 of SR4A says "Each (audio) enhancement costs 1 Capacity (per rating)."  The Bad Enough Trog has Rating 2 Ear Buds but 4 points of audio enhancements (Audio Enhancement 3, Spatial Recogniser) and is thus over capacity.  I'm sure the same is true for the other Archetypes, although I've not checked yet.

If I'm missing an errata or Missions-specific rule somewhere, please let me know, otherwise please accept my contribution to the cause of legal-by-RAW characters!

Edit To Add: The Info Savant's bus and motorbike don't have the Rigger Adaptation mod, and it's not mentioned in the other vehicles (although they're all drones and thus get it automatically).
« Last Edit: <07-06-12/1039:19> by raggedhalo »
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Charasanya

• Newb
« Reply #266 on: <07-06-12/0710:52> »
Even a rating 3 Audio enhancer counts as a single enhancement.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #267 on: <07-06-12/0713:58> »
Even a rating 3 Audio enhancer counts as a single enhancement.

Not by my reading:

Audio enhancements are commonly available as earbuds or headphones.
Each will play audio input from AR or other sources. Each
enhancement costs 1 Capacity (per rating).

Emphasis mine.  One Capacity per rating, so Audio Enhancement Rating 3 takes up 3 Capacity.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #268 on: <07-06-12/1101:00> »
Raggedhalo,

Unfortunately, this is one of those issues.

What happened is that, in SR4, it was definitely capacity cost equal to rating. Then in SR4A, there's a clusterfuck where different editions of the book and the pdf and everything sometimes do and don't have that line. The Changes Reference errata clarifies that it is supposed to be everything costs 1 capacity, except Ultrasound which costs 2. I did not discover that last stealth errata until now, so I'm fixing that one.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #269 on: <07-06-12/1113:12> »
Awesome, thanks.  I only noticed it myself when I was inputting one of the PCs at my table into Hero Lab and it kept throwing up errors!

I added this as an edit above, so I don't know if you noticed it: Rigger Adaptation for the bus and motorbike on the Info Savant appear to be missing.  As they cost 1BP between them, I figure it might be important.

Edit to add: And, of course, the Changes reference errata is likely superceded by more recent releases of SR4A, e.g. Threading now being a Free Action.  The PDF I downloaded from BattleCorps with that change in it has the line about audio enhancements.
« Last Edit: <07-06-12/1126:44> by raggedhalo »
Joe Rooney