NEWS

laser weapons yay/nay?

• 43 Replies

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #15 on: <10-16-12/1325:26> »
Why use that THOR station? Make your own THOR shot, by summoning a powerful Air spirit, and handing him that tungsten rod to hurl with all his might from as high as he can. You could give him a hand by assigning a Guidance spirit as a partner, to ensure accuracy.
Who said high-tech is better than magic?
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <10-16-12/1544:09> »
Actually, instead of using the exotic skill, I'd probably mount them on a drone or vehicle, since that would tie into the gunnery skill, or be used with a targeting autosoft.

Heh. Actually, a Reaper with a laser, a machine gun, and two bombs would be a nasty foe. I like it...

And I believe that in a vehicle or drone, you can tie the laser into the power supply for the vehicle/drone instead of having to buy the expensive (and ridiculously high availability) power packs.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <10-16-12/1614:26> »
I think the easiest way to make lasers much more useful is to simply switch them to use the pistols, long arms, and heavy weapons skills respectively, as there's no real need or logical reason to give them their own skill.

I'd also consider improving (possibly doubling) the bonus that they get from using laser sights and smartgun systems, since there's no longer a need to calculate lead or bullet drop; where you're pointing is where you're hitting.
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

White_Knight

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <10-16-12/1633:41> »
I think the easiest way to make lasers much more useful is to simply switch them to use the pistols, long arms, and heavy weapons skills respectively, as there's no real need or logical reason to give them their own skill.

I'd also consider improving (possibly doubling) the bonus that they get from using laser sights and smartgun systems, since there's no longer a need to calculate lead or bullet drop; where you're pointing is where you're hitting.

I don't think there's any reason to double smartgun bonuses, bullet drop, windage, and the like are already computed by the smartgun system

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #19 on: <10-16-12/1647:12> »

I don't think there's any reason to double smartgun bonuses, bullet drop, windage, and the like are already computed by the smartgun system

True, but that just reinforces the argument for doubling Red-Dot and Laser Sights from +1 to +2. After all, for a laser "here's a straight line, point it in the right direction" is pretty much everything a Smartgun would do for you anyway.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <10-16-12/1757:28> »
True, but that just reinforces the argument for doubling Red-Dot and Laser Sights from +1 to +2. After all, for a laser "here's a straight line, point it in the right direction" is pretty much everything a Smartgun would do for you anyway.

Pretty much. Aside from controlling the gun with the Smartlink. Or that camera. Or calculating the point of impact based on environmental conditions.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #21 on: <10-16-12/1800:48> »

Pretty much. Aside from controlling the gun with the Smartlink. Or that camera. Or calculating the point of impact based on environmental conditions.

I mean that, for a laser weapon the point of impact is going to change a miniscule amount from "a straight line." Yeah, you don't get other cool Smartgun bonuses, but aiming a maser at someone should be pretty darn straight-forward.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <10-17-12/0004:56> »
I mean that, for a laser weapon the point of impact is going to change a miniscule amount from "a straight line.

Plus, however it's path does change, the laser sight would deflect in exactly the same manner.  :3

And I'd say double the smartgun because even for the computer, there's a fair amount of estimation and 'guessing' when accounting for windage travel time, trying to properly lead a moving target, etc.  With a laser weapon, whatever's dead-center in the little camera's view is what you're hitting.
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #23 on: <10-17-12/0011:47> »
The major advantage of lasers is the lack of ammunition needed for them.  Especially at installations that have a geothermal tap for electricity.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #24 on: <10-17-12/0706:04> »
The major advantage of lasers is the lack of ammunition needed for them.  Especially at installations that have a geothermal tap for electricity.  ;D

Lol, lets see you get that into the back of your jackrabbit then :-)
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #25 on: <10-17-12/0709:20> »

Lol, lets see you get that into the back of your jackrabbit then :-)
It took a lot of effort, and to be honest I'm not sure the result can still be called a jackrabbit, but I did manage that.

Well, technically it was a fusion cell and not a geothermal tap, but still...
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #26 on: <10-17-12/0801:55> »
If you have a jackrabbit, you already have a power source to tap from.

-k

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #27 on: <10-17-12/0825:13> »
Hmm. A vehicle or ground drone with Gridlink (and the overide, natch) would basically have unlimited ammo for a laser weapon as long as it is in gridlink supported areas...
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #28 on: <10-17-12/2126:12> »
Great, laser-weapon supported road rage.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #29 on: <10-17-12/2132:26> »
You say that like its a bad thing.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters