NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

martinchaen

« Reply #750 on: <10-07-13/0900:26> »
All due respect, Xenon, but we already know our differences of opinion on some of these topics. I asked in this thread in order to hopefully get more clarification from some of the sources regarded as more official than you and I.

All I'm saying.
« Last Edit: <10-07-13/0908:21> by martinchaen »

Cyber-Dave

• Chummer
« Reply #751 on: <10-07-13/1010:31> »
I, too, actually have a question about the "Unaware of an Attack" rules. My question is specific to the following sentence: "This does not apply to defenders who are already engaged in combat (see Character Has Superior Position, p. 187)." That sentence is being interpreted in two different ways on the boards. The way I read it is follows: the main clause, that the condition does not apply to defenders who are already engaged in combat, is always true. The parenthetical modification supplies extra information, which allows melee attackers to gain a dice pool benefit from perceptual advantage, but in no way shape or form stops the main clause from always being true. A few other posters seem to believe that the parenthetical modification makes the main clause only true when the parenthetical modification is applicable. In other words, if you are not attacking with a melee weapon it is possible for your target to still be unaware of the attack during combat. Which interpretation of that sentence is correct by the Rules as Intended? 

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #752 on: <10-07-13/1240:45> »
(In point of fact, if you're already debating the subject with someone, it is simply inappropriate to "answer" them here, since you're actually just bringing the debate over to this thread, not providing an answer or clarification)
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Cyber-Dave

• Chummer
« Reply #753 on: <10-07-13/1248:48> »
(Ok. Sorry about that. I self-moderated my responses and deleted them.)

martinchaen

« Reply #754 on: <10-07-13/1346:15> »
Q: How does one use the Complex Action Use Skill: Leadership?
The rules state that by using a complex action (presumably Use Skill) you can use Leadership for one of four effects; Command, Direct, Inspire, and Rally.

Command, Direct, and Rally all seem straight forward; the character uses the Use Skill Complex Action, rolls Charisma + Leadership [Social], then hits apply in various forms. But the Inspire function has a curious effect, in that net hits "act as a Teamwork Test for your subordinates' Surprise Test for the rest of the Combat Turn.

A Teamwork Test adds net hits as dice to the focus' (in this case subordinates) dice pool. How would you be able to take a Complex Action to aid subordinates before being Surprised? Or do they get to roll extra dice after the surprise test, effectively changing the sequence of surprise?

[EDIT]
If wearing multiple pieces of gear providing AV, which armor modifications apply?
The rules for "Armor and encumbrance" on page 169 states that only "the value of the highest armor piece applies for determining armor applies". Then, under "Specialized protection" on the same page, it is stated that "additional protection is used along with the modified Armor values to determine total Armor against an attack.".

Does this mean that only the modifiers on the highest armor value piece apply regardless of circumstance, or do you get to choose?

For example:
Character A is wearing Armored Clothes (AV6) and an Armor Jacket (AV12).

1. The AV6 item has Chemical Protection 6 and the AV12 item has Nonconductivity 6 and Insulation 6. He is hit by a sword coated in a contact vector toxin; does he roll AV12 + BOD for the melee damage resist, and then BOD + WIL + Chemical Protection 6?
2. The AV6 item has Fire Resistance 6 and the AV12 item has Nonconductivity 6 and Insulation 6. He is hit by a fire based attack; does he roll AV12 - AP, or can he choose to roll AV6 - AP + Fire Resistance 6?

Q: When wearing multiple pieces of armor that provides the same AV, can you choose which AV to use
Similar question as the above, but with two distinct differences.

1. If a character wears an Armored Vest over an Urban Explorer Jumpsuit, or a Lined Coat over a Chameleon Suit, can he choose which item to use? (this could potentially matter for acid and cold attacks, which have the potential to damage the armor piece)
2. As 1, but this time the character has armor pieces with modifications; would the modification be included in the AV calculation (so AV9 - AP 5 electrical = 4 vs AV9 - AP 5 electrical + Insulation 6 = (9 or 10, depending on reading) for example)
« Last Edit: <10-09-13/1105:23> by martinchaen »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #755 on: <10-09-13/1205:08> »
Q Is it actually intended that an awakened character that initiate (but does not spend karma to raise magic rating, common for [Physical] Adepts) is harder to heal with magic?
(SR5, p288)
...this means you take a dice pool modifier equal to the target’s actual Essence minus his maximum Essence (which will turn out to be 0 or a negative number), rounded up.

Q What augmentations, drugs or magic enhancements increase Matrix AR Initiative?
(I would like to think that Matrix AR Initiative is the same as your [Physical] Initiative as you can mix physical and AR actions in a combat turn - or maybe even take a simple physical action and a simple AR action in the same action phase. Table on SR5 p.101 list Initiative and Matrix AR Initiative at two different rows and in that table there is no comment for augmentation bonuses on Matrix AR Initiative but it is for [Physical] Initiative).

Q What augmentations, drugs or magic enhancements -if any- increase Matrix VR Initiative (Cold Sim and Hot Sim)?

...How would you be able to take a Complex Action to aid subordinates before being Surprised?
You use inspire before attacking (and rally while in combat).

...can you choose which AV to use...
(SR5, p169)
...the value of the highest armor piece applies for determining Armor
« Last Edit: <10-09-13/1416:40> by Xenon »

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #756 on: <10-09-13/1346:38> »
It was nice, when FAQs in this thread were to be answered by Aaron, not just by another forums member.
IIRC:
We're putting together the FAQ for Shadowrun, 5th Edition. We've already been scraping questions from the various SR5 threads, but we could always use more questions, so if you have any questions about how the game works, please chime in!

While some questions might be answered in this thread, it's mainly for the collection of questions, so please bear with us if folks aren't able to answer right away.

And yeah, I know it's still a couple days from the PDF release, but this thread will still be open when it becomes available. Ditto for the dead tree version.

Just saying...

deek

• Newb
« Reply #757 on: <10-09-13/1937:09> »
Quick question on reach.  Say a character has +3 reach, does that mean he is engaging the opponent 3m out or are they adjacent (say within a meter) and the 3m is just relevant for determining intercept range?

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #758 on: <10-10-13/0821:45> »
It was nice, when FAQs in this thread were to be answered by Aaron, not just by another forums member.
In all fairness, they did consolidate the Rules Clarifications and FAQ threads into one. I don't think anyone affiliated with CGL ever answered questions in the RC thread, it was mostly posters.

But I fully agree. Can we all agree that this thread should serve as a compendium of questions? If there is or has been a discussion about the question elsewhere in the Forum and/or if Aaron has previously answered a question, can we just LINK to that discussion/answer rather than starting arguments over interpretation in this thread?
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #759 on: <10-10-13/0830:18> »
Q Is it actually intended that an awakened character that initiate (but does not spend karma to raise magic rating, common for [Physical] Adepts) is harder to heal with magic?
(SR5, p288)
...this means you take a dice pool modifier equal to the target’s actual Essence minus his maximum Essence (which will turn out to be 0 or a negative number), rounded up.

Initiation increases the Magic attribute maximum, not the Essence maximum. So it has no effect on magical healing.
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

martinchaen

« Reply #760 on: <10-11-13/0350:23> »
Q: How does toxins with multiple vectors affect the toxin resistance test?

In other words, can you apply multiple pieces of protective gear against such toxins?
Quote from: Page 409, Using Toxins: (emphasis mine)
When a toxin comes into play, note its Speed to determine when it takes effect. At the end of the appropriate Combat Turn, the victim makes a Toxin Resistance Test to see if the toxin takes effect. This test uses Body + Willpower + the rating of any protective gear/systems; each hit reduces the toxin’s Power by 1 point.
So a character hit by CS/Tear Gas (Contact and Inhalation vectors) could roll Body + Willpower + Chemical Protection + Respirator, as opposed to just adding dice equal to the rating of Chemical Protection OR Respirator, correct?

Q: How big is a non-implanted simrig device?
There is little information on this in the rulebook, so it'd be nice to know if I'm carrying around a credstick sized, item, something a little bigger like a cyberdeck, or even larger like a rating 4 or higher medkit.
« Last Edit: <10-11-13/0834:22> by martinchaen »

rizzo

• Newb
« Reply #761 on: <10-11-13/0820:06> »
Some question:

1. Is your answers are "official" answers from the SR5 developer group?

2. How chargen skill limit works: (A) Summary of skill and improved ability adept power should be less or equal to chargen skill limit 6(7) or (B) improved ability can increase the skill over the chargen skill limit?

3. Analytical Mind quality: "This quality gives the character a +2 dice pool modifier to any Logic Tests involving pattern recognition, evidence analysis, clue hunting, or solving puzzles."
Does the character get +2 for all of her Logic test (and the listing is only a filler text) (A), or she can get the bonus only those Logic tests, where she has to recognize patterns or analyze evidences or etc. (B) ?

4. Gearhead quality: "She also receives a +2 dice pool modifier when attempting difficult maneuvers or stunts in the vehicle. This bonus lasts for 1D6 minutes."
How long this ablity's cooldown? If it isnt time based, what event triggers the cooldown of this ability? Pilot has to rest, or just a new action or vehicled fight or something else?

5. Weapon mount and clip size: "Standard weapon mounts may hold any assault rifle or smaller-sized weapon and 250 rounds of ammo."
How does it work? The smaller sized weapon get bigger clip (A), or some automat changes the standard clips (B), or the weapon is modified to belt (C), or you have to change the small clips by hand (D), or other way?

6. If an extended test has not treshold does it mean, the dice pool doesnt decreasing after every throw? (for example at Natural Recovery)

Thank you!
« Last Edit: <10-11-13/0826:51> by rizzo »

Bach_The_Fox

• Newb
« Reply #762 on: <10-13-13/0853:53> »
Hi! Hunting around for these questions on the boards and elsewhere, and not seeing it. Would appreciate anyone's input.

Main Q: Can I hack a commlink and have it turn on a device that is slaved to it (that currently has wireless off)?

These are the assumption questions that need to be answered for a yes to the main question.

Q: Can a device be slaved if it's wireless is off? (if not, that mean it needs to be re-slaved each time it's rebooted or turned on; that doesn't seem to be the case)
Q: Where does the command to turn on a wireless device originate from? (I assume if it's slaved, from the commlink it's slaved to, but this is the part I am least sure of)
Q: Is control device or spoof the appropriate matrix action? If neither, IS there an appropriate matrix action?

My goal is proactive grenade defense...by hacking the commlink of the guy with wireless grenades slaved, turning them on, then turning him off.  ;D

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #763 on: <10-13-13/1325:23> »
Slaving requires the two devices can communicate, so if the wireless on the grenades are off, the only way it could be slaved is if the guy has a direct connection cable plugged into them, which doesn't strike me as likely.

martinchaen

« Reply #764 on: <10-13-13/1732:58> »
Q: What happens if you fire a cybergun installed in your arm while wearing a pair of AR or Gecko Gloves?

And for that matter;

Q: How long does it take to ready a cybergun?
In other words does a cybergun even require readying, and if it does is it a free, simple, or complex action to do so? Can a cybergun be quick-drawn? So many questions, so little time...
« Last Edit: <10-13-13/1738:45> by martinchaen »