NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #705 on: <09-30-13/0720:08> »
Yes, but they talk about "this program", except for Shell (which wouldn't stack with Autosofts since those don't include such a bonus) and Virtual Machine.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #706 on: <09-30-13/1020:06> »
Here is an interesting question that came up in discussion with my group:
If Ones Initiative gets reduced to 0 or lower, they cannot act that turn.
Say you have a character who has only reaction and intuition of 2 each, and only 1 Initiative die.
He rolls horribly, getting a 1, but, he is a mage so he has Increased Reaction with 3 hits up, so
he is good. Enemy side mage goes ahead of him, and dispels the Increased Reaction, eliminating
the bonus that provides to initiative. Over the turn, this mage takes physical and stun damage
to give him -6 dice pool penalty between the two. Since wound penalties apply to initiative, and
apply immediately, this means that, at this point, the character has a -1 initiative score, and has
not acted yet. Does he still get to act?

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #707 on: <09-30-13/1115:14> »
No, a character reduced to zero or lower initiative - no matter how they get there - does not get to act further in the combat turn. Not even if they hadn't acted to start with.

Consider it one of the many reasons that players should avoid Attributes rated at 2 and lower unless they are prepared for significant consequences of their choice.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #708 on: <09-30-13/1418:44> »
You still have a free action in every initiative pass.

...and i believe you can still run (but not sprint) up to agility x 4 meters per combat turn by spending one of your free actions on the free action called "Run".

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #709 on: <09-30-13/1556:59> »
A issue that was brought up by one of my players this sunday.
Can linguasofts (or for that matter knowsofts) be run on a comlink or the like to provide, possibly much slower, access to translations (or knowledge)?
If not is there such things as translation software available for comlinks and the like?

Aaron

« Reply #710 on: <09-30-13/1729:56> »
Has there been any word on how many programs an RCC can run?

Noise Reduction and Sharing, p. 267, SR5. The Sharing rating refers to the combination of autosofts and cyberprograms (neither of which my spell checker likes).

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #711 on: <09-30-13/1731:41> »
According to page 233, if you are in a Host that is part of a WAN, you are directly connected to every device slaved in the WAN. Does this mean that if you enter a host, you could immediately hack any of the slaves directly, while ignoring the host's Firewall?

If this is the case, this seems like a terrible idea, as it actually makes setting up a WAN less secure, since a mark on a slave also gives you a mark on the master. So a decker could walk into any public host, which automatically invites marks to allow patrons to enter, and immediately be directly connected to any devices on their WAN. You then hack marks on those Rating 2 or 3 devices, and automatically get marks on the Host itself.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #712 on: <09-30-13/1742:00> »

Noise Reduction and Sharing, p. 267, SR5. The Sharing rating refers to the combination of autosofts and cyberprograms (neither of which my spell checker likes).
That is how many you can share, not how many you can run. Unless you are saying you cannot have more programs active than you can share.

Also, as we discussed before, there's 2 conflicting segments on whether it's the combination or just autosofts that can be shared. If since then you became aware of an official stance on the matter, I missed that, otherwise I'd rather wait for errata.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #713 on: <09-30-13/1754:13> »
Rules Clarification: Resting and Natural Recovery

What constitutes "resting" for the purpose of Natural Recovery?
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #714 on: <09-30-13/1853:58> »
Rules Clarification: Resting and Natural Recovery

What constitutes "resting" for the purpose of Natural Recovery?

any non strenuous activity. Bed rest. Watching TV. Reading a book.

basically if doing it would put you "ahead" then you are not resting :p
So:
No shopping
no contact meetings
no B/R tasks
no raising a skill
no <insert action that is usually done during down time that requires mental or physical exertion. >
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #715 on: <09-30-13/2310:29> »

That page states

The Sharing rating is the number of autosofts you can run on the RCC that simultaneously run on all slaved drones at the same time.

Nothing in that entire section mentions cyber programs at all. The only thing that makes me assume you even can is the red box on p269.

Also, as  Michael Chandra said, The noise and sharing section also only mentions the sharing of said programs. I was looking for programs solely for the RCC. Mainly extra dice to resist taking damage while diving in drones would be awful nice to have
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #716 on: <10-01-13/0224:06> »
It is entire possible that number of cyber programs is your sharing rating (which in normal case IS your device rating) but you can choose to load less cyber programs and load more auto softs instead. Or increase your noise reduction.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #717 on: <10-01-13/0403:03> »
Can you slave a device across grids? For example, have your deck on a Global Grid, but your Smartgun on the Local Grid. If so, would a decker on the Global Grid take the -2 for hacking across grids if he hacks the gun, or would the penalty not apply, since it uses the Master's ratings on the same grid?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #718 on: <10-01-13/0425:42> »
The device icon can only exist on one grid (or in one host). If the decker is on the same grid as the icon he is attacking then he does not suffer -2 dice for working across grids.

It is very possible that a device slaved to a master device (being part of a PAN) will only exist on the same grid as the master device - and in the case when a device is slaved to a host (being part of a WAN) that the device icon only exist inside the host. Aaron, do you have any insight on this...?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #719 on: <10-01-13/0511:44> »
That page states

The Sharing rating is the number of autosofts you can run on the RCC that simultaneously run on all slaved drones at the same time.

Nothing in that entire section mentions cyber programs at all.
Under Autosofts (next page I think) it mentions Sharing and programs, which might be because it's just talking about [Autosoft] programs and didn't think about Cyberprograms, or because it's intended Cyberprograms are included in the limit. Hence my statement that until we get errata, we do not know the exact intent. Both versions have consequences.