NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #495 on: <08-27-13/0358:44> »
p.452 explicit state that ultrasound headware replace/override your vision, however...

Q: Can you use Thermographic vision at the same time as you use Low-light vision?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #496 on: <08-27-13/0536:51> »
Q: If you make a Succesful Summon, but go unconscious as a result of the Drain, is the Summoning still a success, making the Spirit stick around? Same question for Binding.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #497 on: <08-27-13/0606:57> »
Q: If you make a Succesful Summon, but go unconscious as a result of the Drain, is the Summoning still a success, making the Spirit stick around?
Summoning on p.300 is a 3 step process
1) Choose spirit type & force
2) Attempt summoning
3) Resist drain

If step 2 is successful then the spirit is summoned and will owe you services. This is resolved before drain. The unbound spirit will leave at sunset or sun-raise even if it still owe you services (because you might or might not still be unconscious due to drain when the sun goes down).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #498 on: <08-27-13/0708:25> »
I am aware that is how the rules read. I'm just checking if it's indeed intended.

Q: A drone can have Autosofts+Cyberprograms.
- Can it run the same Cyberprograms as an RCC can run, as listed on page 269?
- Are these the only Cyberprograms an RCC and a Drone can run?
- Can the RCC share not just Autosofts but also Cyberprograms, or would you have to independently install the Cyberprograms on the Drones as well?
- If the latter, that means they do not count for the condition that a drone must not run any autosofts itself to share autosofts, correct?

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #499 on: <08-27-13/0725:28> »
I have a question on alchemy and magic.  Searched for it, but didn't find the answer.
If I have read the book correctly if you want to have a spell (say fireball) and you also want to make fireball grenades, you need to learn the same spell twice, once as sorcery spell and once as alchemy spell?  Is this correct?
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #500 on: <08-27-13/0731:21> »
p.304 resolve order for enchanting.
Step 1: Choose a Spell
Choose the alchemical version of the spell to be prepared. Spells used in preparations are different versions of the Sorcery spells listed on p. 283, but have the same effect, Drain Value, keywords, and so on as those spells. You learn the alchemical versions of these spells separately from Sorcery spells, but the Karma cost is the same. You can only choose an alchemical spell you know.

Aaron

« Reply #501 on: <08-27-13/0831:40> »
b]Q: [/b] Can riggers get access to hot-sim with the sim module installed in the remote control or maybe in their RCC?

I'd just use the hot-sim modification on the commlink table on p. 439: +4F Availability and +250¥.
[/quote]

Linking a device to your DNI

The book mentions "to have a direct neural interface to the linked device", but I can't find any information about how you link a device with your DNI.

DNI isn't a link per se, it's a method of input and output with your gear, like voice command, keyboard, or mouse. As long as your devices can access whatever's giving you DNI (usually wireless, but you can run a data cable from a datajack if you like), you've got DNI control.

So...
How do you do it?
How long time does it take?
What is the max number of devices you can link to your DNI at any given moment?
Do you need to be the owner of the device in order to link it?
Is slaving a device to your commlink (where your sim module is located) the same thing as linking it to your DNI?

Get something that gives you DNI.
Not long.
There isn't one.
It's not really a link, per se.
No.

Question on Armor Modification stacking...in 5E encumbrance has changed so that a character could, for example, wear a synthetic leather duster (AR = 4, therefore capacity 4 for mods) with an Armor Jacket (AR=12, therefore capacity 12 for mods) without penalty - which is a reasonable case of stacking armor.  Let's say they put 6 insulation & 6 nonconductivity in the vest and 4 fire resistance in the duster.  In a Resist Damage roll they would only count the higher of the two, so AR 12 from the vest.  If they were up against a Red Hot Nuke sporting a Flame Thrower, would they still get the Fire Resistance from the duster which is not factoring into the physical damage resistance roll?

If this does not work...what is a reasonable explanation for it rather then "it's against the rules"?  Or on the flip side...how to best deal with abusers?

It's the "highest piece," not the highest rating. If you want to use the fire resistance, you've got to use the duster's Armor rating, too. Also, if your GM catches you wearing a duster and a jacket, she's well within a rational basis to impose penalties or even assess fatigue damage as a consequence.

b]Q: [/b] Can you use Thermographic vision at the same time as you use Low-light vision?

There's no rule against it, and I wouldn't imagine it's difficult for image processing software to build a composite image for you.

Q: A drone can have Autosofts+Cyberprograms.
- Can it run the same Cyberprograms as an RCC can run, as listed on page 269?
- Are these the only Cyberprograms an RCC and a Drone can run?
- Can the RCC share not just Autosofts but also Cyberprograms, or would you have to independently install the Cyberprograms on the Drones as well?
- If the latter, that means they do not count for the condition that a drone must not run any autosofts itself to share autosofts, correct?

- Yep.
- No, just the useful ones.
- p. 270.
- n/a

Aaron

« Reply #502 on: <08-27-13/0832:16> »
I have a question on alchemy and magic.  Searched for it, but didn't find the answer.
If I have read the book correctly if you want to have a spell (say fireball) and you also want to make fireball grenades, you need to learn the same spell twice, once as sorcery spell and once as alchemy spell?  Is this correct?

Yes.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #503 on: <08-27-13/0945:06> »
I'd just use the hot-sim modification on the commlink table on p. 439: +4F Availability and +250¥.
(It make control rig rating 2 with hot-sim modification off limits at chargen due to availability).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #504 on: <08-27-13/1017:45> »

- p. 270.
Just to be certain: Page 270 talks about sharing programs but does so in the Autosofts section, page 267 talks about sharing Autosofts alone. Is there an official errata in the works clarifying which of these two is phrased wrong?

Aaron

« Reply #505 on: <08-27-13/1555:17> »
Just to be certain: Page 270 talks about sharing programs but does so in the Autosofts section, page 267 talks about sharing Autosofts alone. Is there an official errata in the works clarifying which of these two is phrased wrong?

Does it talk about sharing autosofts alone or autosofts exclusively?

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #506 on: <08-27-13/1559:22> »
Quote from: Page 267
The Sharing rating is the number of autosofts you can run on the RCC that simultaneously run on all slaved drones at the same time. One caveat: if a drone is running any of its own autosofts, it cannot benefit from the RCC’s autosofts.
Quote from: Page 270
If a drone is slaved to a rigger command console and isn’t running any of its own programs, it uses the programs running on the RCC. This can exceed its normal program limit.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #507 on: <08-27-13/1933:22> »
I hope I'm not breaking any rules, I'd just like to repost this since it became a new page shortly after and it hasn't been noticed yet:

Quote from: page 256
Re-register  Sprite:  You  can  attempt  to  re-register
the sprite for one task. If you use the sprite’s last task to
do this, don’t screw up. If you succeed, add your net hits
to the number of tasks the sprite owes you (minus the
one for re-registering, of course). If you fail, you’re out
of tasks, plain and simple.

The last bit about failing; is this continuing with the warning to be careful if you do this with a sprite's last task?  Or does it mean that if you try to re-register and fail, it removes all remaining tasks no matter how many are left and your sprite disappears?  If the former, it should be worded more clearly because it really sounds like the latter.  If the latter, why would it need the warning about using up your last task (when you have to end up either gaining more or losing them all no matter what) and why would you attempt this with more than 1 left anyways?
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #508 on: <08-27-13/2117:36> »
(It make control rig rating 2 with hot-sim modification off limits at chargen due to availability).
I feel like without an inherent hot-sim module there is little reason for a Control Rig's R availability rating (just like a cyberdeck). I get why it is forbidden in commlinks (hello, BTLs), but it makes total sense for a (legal) rigger to be able to operate at max effectiveness if properly licensed (just like a decker).
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #509 on: <08-28-13/1122:50> »
I was just putting together a Magician character for my pre-gened Shadowrun team (my players wont have there own rule books in time here in the UK) and I realized I do not know if the 10 spells a priority A for magic Magician gets have to all be spells or can some of them be rituals, alchemy formulas or the like?

As an aside can anyone recommenced how I should stat a fully rigged bass guitar for the party's Rigger's day job? As this Shadowrun team will have a "day job" as an elf rock band I am trying to sort out instrument stats for them all. I am certain the party shaman will be initiating so that there centering activity is power riffs on his electric guitar.