NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Raiden

• Omae
« Reply #465 on: <08-25-13/0045:11> »
no, in SR4A, the exp. attribute gives you a natural max of +1. it does not increase your base by 1. if you are a human and take exp. attribute in bod, you now have 1/7 instead of 1/6.
speech
Matrix
Actions
Thoughts

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #466 on: <08-25-13/0142:30> »
its Metagenetic improvement (Surge) that raises Minimum and maximum attribute directly
both Genetic improvement ( counts as Bioware)as well as exceptional Attribute(pos qual.) only raises the Max of an attribute without increasing it directly

with a direct Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #467 on: <08-25-13/0244:54> »
its Metagenetic improvement (Surge) that raises Minimum and maximum attribute directly
both Genetic improvement ( counts as Bioware)as well as exceptional Attribute(pos qual.) only raises the Max of an attribute without increasing it directly

with a direct Dance
Medicineman

Neither of which, BTW, are in SR5 yet.
But, I understood the question as being: "Does Exceptional Attribute make your natural Maximum 1 higher, or does it just allow
you to exceed your natural maximum by 1. This is important because Awakened/technomancers burn out when their natural
maximum reaches 0, not if their Magic/Resonance reaches 0. "

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #468 on: <08-25-13/0252:57> »
I read Exceptional Attribute as raising the natural maximum for an attribute by one.
Sorry I was on mobile phone when answering this specific claim yesterday. As many things in this book it is ambiguous and you can find arguments to read it both ways. Here are some arguments that support the idea that your natural maximum attribute does not change when you take exceptional attribute.

p.72 Exceptional Attribute
Exceptional Attribute
Cost: 14 Karma
The Exceptional Atribute quality is how you get to be the charismatic troll, or the agile dwarf. It allows you to possess one attribute at a level one point above the metatype maximum limit. For example, an ork character with the Exceptional Attribute quality for Strength could take his Strength attribute up to 10 before augmentations are applied, instead of the normal limit of 9. Exceptional Attribute also applies toward Special Attributes such as Magic and Resonance. Edge cannot affected by the Exceptional Attribute (Edge is raised by another quality called Lucky). A character may only take Exceptional Attribute once, and only with the gamemaster’s approval.

p.65 Metatype & Special Attributes
Several metatypes also receive physical or mental advantages/disadvantages to their attribute ratings (such as higher or lower natural attribute limits).

p.66 Metatype & Special Attributes
Note that for most metatypes, the maximum rating for Magic, Resonance, and Edge is 6; humans have a maximum Edge rating of 7. Certain qualities (Lucky, Exceptional Attribute) allow characters to exceed attribute maximums by one

p.67 Example Rob that possess Exceptional Strength Attribute
He got a listed Racial Base / Natrual Limit of 5/10(11)
- Indicating that his natural limit is 10, but due to the quality have an exceptional limit of 11 (which let him exceed his natural attribute limit by 1).

p.66 Mental and Physical Attributes
State that you can only have one attribute at your natural maximum limit at chargen; It might or might not mean that you can not have a have a human with agility 6/6(7) and strength 6/6 at chargen even if you have exceptional attribute agility; but it would let you take agility 7/6(7) and strength 5/6.

p.456 Customization of cyberlimbs
State that you can only customize cyberlimbs to fit your frame and body [which might or might not mean your natural rating - not the point I am trying to do right now] but it also state that you can not customize cyberlimbs beyond your natural maximum for that attribute - witch might or might not indicate that you can never customize the limb above metatype racial maximum... even if you have a natural rating that exceed the natural maximum by one point because of exceptional attribute.

But, as I said in the beginning of the post; There are also arguments that exceptional attribute increase your natural maximum.

p287 talks about only ceasing to be an awakened character if your max reaches zero.
On the subject about losing your magic powers forever and ever the text on p.278 (not p.287) does not  even talk about natural maximum nor your metatype maximum attribute rating in the first place. This rule only mention your maximum magic rating. So in this case the question if Exceptional Attribute increase your natural maximum rating or if it let you exceed your natural maximum rating might not even be important at all.

Maximum magic rating might or might not read as the total of your metatype maximum attribute rating plus exceptional magic attribute plus grades of initiation minus loss due to essence [Cyberware Essence cost or the Essence Drain critter power].
« Last Edit: <08-25-13/0338:03> by Xenon »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #469 on: <08-25-13/0608:00> »
If I use Astral Perception:

Q Will a featureless gray shadow of a mundane wall prevent me from sensing a bright and colored emotional aura of an angry or passionate living person standing in the room behind it?

Follow up on that:
Q Can I tell if the aura belong to a living entity 8m away from my body?

If I use Augmented Reality:

Q Will a normal wall without dense foliage or wireless negation prevent me from spotting the wireless commlink and all other wireless devices not currently running silent that a guard has on his body while standing in the middle of the room behind it?

Followup on that:
Q Can I tell if the spotted PAN is located 8m away from my cyberdeck?
« Last Edit: <08-25-13/0614:09> by Xenon »

grid_roamer

« Reply #470 on: <08-25-13/0700:19> »
In SR5.....

Exceptional Attribute can raise Magic pass the natural limit but you have to buy the point.....

A magic attribute reaching 0 means you have no magic attribute left to use. Unless there is a way to relight a burnout....

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #471 on: <08-25-13/0812:35> »
In SR5.....

Exceptional Attribute can raise Magic pass the natural limit but you have to buy the point.....

A magic attribute reaching 0 means you have no magic attribute left to use. Unless there is a way to relight a burnout....

I think you may be thinking of old concepts.

Shadowrun 5th edition p278
Magic is a special Attribute that measures a character’s magical power. Characters do not have a Magic Attribute unless they select one of the priorities that specifically provide one (see the Priority Table, p. 65). Magic has a starting value from 1 to 6 (or 7 with the Exceptional Attribute quality), but you don’t have to settle for that limit forever. You can go through a process called Initiation (p. 324) that can enhance your abilities. The maximum value of your Magic Attribute (if you have one) is 6 + your Initiation level. Anything that reduces your Essence also reduces your Magic rating. For every point (or fraction thereof) of Essence lost, both your current Magic Attribute and your maximum Magic Rating are reduced by one. If your Magic is reduced to zero, you can no longer use any skill requiring the Magic attribute, even if your maximum Rating is still greater than zero (but you can still raise the attribute with Karma and then get back to the spellslinging). If your maximum rating falls to zero, you’ve burned out, losing all magical abilities, including astral perception and projection. You are mundane forever. Burnedout magicians retain all magical skills and knowledge, but they lack the ability to use them. All Magical active skills except for Arcana become Knowledge skills.

Unless this has been changed in errata some where?

grid_roamer

« Reply #472 on: <08-25-13/1824:14> »
Nope,

I'm pretty sure it's in the rules......

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #473 on: <08-25-13/1825:38> »
I have a new question related to sprites that I'm surprised no one asked yet.

Quote from: page 256
Re-register  Sprite:  You  can  attempt  to  re-register
the sprite for one task. If you use the sprite’s last task to
do this, don’t screw up. If you succeed, add your net hits
to the number of tasks the sprite owes you (minus the
one for re-registering, of course). If you fail, you’re out
of tasks, plain and simple.

The last bit about failing; is this continuing with the warning to be careful if you do this with a sprite's last task?  Or does it mean that if you try to re-register and fail, it removes all remaining tasks no matter how many are left and your sprite disappears?  If the former, it should be worded more clearly because it really sounds like the latter.  If the latter, why would it need the warning about using up your last task (when you have to end up either gaining more or losing them all no matter what) and why would you attempt this with more than 1 left anyways?
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #474 on: <08-25-13/1830:31> »
fenris_mask: the rules bit that T-Hatchet quotes is pretty specific, though - if it's only your Magic that's 0, not your maximum Magic, you can simply raise it to 1 again (which takes 1 week) for 5 Karma, and you're good to go.

grid_roamer

« Reply #475 on: <08-25-13/1844:14> »
fenris_mask: the rules bit that T-Hatchet quotes is pretty specific, though - if it's only your Magic that's 0, not your maximum Magic, you can simply raise it to 1 again (which takes 1 week) for 5 Karma, and you're good to go.

That's Right..... ;D

Rythymhack

• Chummer
« Reply #476 on: <08-25-13/2037:28> »
Mystic Adepts: Is it a legitimate use of improved ability do use say..."improved ability: spellcasting". I thought of this at 3AM while..."communing with the spirits" as it were.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #477 on: <08-25-13/2047:42> »
Mystic Adepts: Is it a legitimate use of improved ability do use say..."improved ability: spellcasting". I thought of this at 3AM while..."communing with the spirits" as it were.

This  power  increases  the  Rating  of  a  specific  Com -
bat, Physical, Social, Technical, or Vehicle skill per level of
the power.

Spellcasting is considered a "Magical" Skill, and so doesn't fall under any of those categories.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Rythymhack

• Chummer
« Reply #478 on: <08-25-13/2114:06> »
Ok. I am still waiting on the book and did not remember what it said in previous editions. Thank you.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #479 on: <08-26-13/0030:01> »
If you mount a smartgun on a drone that has a smartlink vision enhancement, does the Drone benefit from the smartlink? If so, does it get the +1 bonus for gear, or the +2 granted from ware?