NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #165 on: <07-26-13/0850:38> »
What does addiction rating actually do?

Page 414 says you take an addiction test every time you take an addictive substance during 11-Addiction Rating weeks in a row, but also says that substances with a high rating can get you hooked in a single dose.  Assuming, then, that you take a test on the first dose, let's look at Kamikaze (rating 9, meaning 2 weeks).  You'd roll a test on first taking it, then if you went 3 weeks before taking it again, you'd roll again, because no rule says you don't.  But you also roll if you take it a second time immediately.  So when does addiction rating actually come into play or affect gameplay?
I posted my interpretation of this in a different topic: by "in a single dose", they mean that with a high enough Addiction Rating (specifically, if Addiction Rating + Addiction Threshold >= 11), the Threshold won't go down to 0 before you're supposed to do your first test, so even if you only use it once, you'll have to do an Addiction Test at some point, and therefore risk becoming addicted. Nothing in the rules suggests you have to make an Addiction Test immediately.
If you don't take it immediately, when would you take it?
At the end of a week, where the time you used the drug for the first time counts as somewhere in week 1 (start, end, middle - depending on what your GM rules, I guess). The rules say you have to test when "you use an addictive substance during (11 — Addiction Rating) weeks in a row" (emphasis mine).
Actually, I posted a step-by-step guide in the Rules forum yesterday, which I hope explains things properly.

Actually, I have a different question: with Focus Addiction, the you can have as much as [Magic x 5] Force worth of foci bonded (spread over at most [Magic] different foci), which means it's entirely possible for the "total Force of all active foci" to be 11 or higher. At that point, how often do you really make the tests? Just every single week (so you assume the Addiction Rating caps at 10)?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #166 on: <07-26-13/0927:00> »
(Don't think the first magic rating worth of force focus count towards addiction)

quindraco

• Newb
« Reply #167 on: <07-26-13/1019:33> »
What does addiction rating actually do?

Page 414 says you take an addiction test every time you take an addictive substance during 11-Addiction Rating weeks in a row, but also says that substances with a high rating can get you hooked in a single dose.  Assuming, then, that you take a test on the first dose, let's look at Kamikaze (rating 9, meaning 2 weeks).  You'd roll a test on first taking it, then if you went 3 weeks before taking it again, you'd roll again, because no rule says you don't.  But you also roll if you take it a second time immediately.  So when does addiction rating actually come into play or affect gameplay?
I posted my interpretation of this in a different topic: by "in a single dose", they mean that with a high enough Addiction Rating (specifically, if Addiction Rating + Addiction Threshold >= 11), the Threshold won't go down to 0 before you're supposed to do your first test, so even if you only use it once, you'll have to do an Addiction Test at some point, and therefore risk becoming addicted. Nothing in the rules suggests you have to make an Addiction Test immediately.
If you don't take it immediately, when would you take it?
At the end of a week, where the time you used the drug for the first time counts as somewhere in week 1 (start, end, middle - depending on what your GM rules, I guess). The rules say you have to test when "you use an addictive substance during (11 — Addiction Rating) weeks in a row" (emphasis mine).
Actually, I posted a step-by-step guide in the Rules forum yesterday, which I hope explains things properly.

Actually, I have a different question: with Focus Addiction, the you can have as much as [Magic x 5] Force worth of foci bonded (spread over at most [Magic] different foci), which means it's entirely possible for the "total Force of all active foci" to be 11 or higher. At that point, how often do you really make the tests? Just every single week (so you assume the Addiction Rating caps at 10)?

That's an interesting interpretation, but makes several assumptions where I don't see the rules basis - for example, when you fail an addiction test, moving up to the next addiction level, I don't see any rules basis for dropping the process until the next dose.  That's just an example; your process is readily understandable and I can see where you're coming from, but I see a number of house rules in place, and I was hoping to find out what was intended by the devs.

Another question, since we're discussing foci:  unlike other drugs, your focus addiction can easily have a different addiction rating on a minute by minute basis.  How do you resolve it?

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #168 on: <07-26-13/1048:29> »
That's an interesting interpretation, but makes several assumptions where I don't see the rules basis - for example, when you fail an addiction test, moving up to the next addiction level, I don't see any rules basis for dropping the process until the next dose.  That's just an example; your process is readily understandable and I can see where you're coming from, but I see a number of house rules in place, and I was hoping to find out what was intended by the devs.
I can see why you might think my assumption that if you fail the Addiction Test and get (more) hooked, you don't have to make another until you use again, is a "house rule", but "a number of" house rules? Please explain in the other topic.

As for your Focus Addiction Rating: just use the highest used.
« Last Edit: <07-26-13/1113:16> by ZeConster »

trunglefever

• Newb
« Reply #169 on: <07-26-13/1926:31> »
My friend is converting a rigger from 4E to 5E and for autosofts, it says "A drone has a number of slots to use for autosofts and cyberprograms equal to half its Device Rating, rounded up." The only area that is listed that has a drone device rating is on p.421 that lists drones as rating 2.

Is there any other page that includes this information or are all drones just...average?

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #170 on: <07-27-13/0000:31> »
Why does an off-hand task equate to the same degree of difficulty reflected by suffering 6 boxes of damage?
-2 dice for off-handedness?  My hand is slightly less dexterous, not shattered.  What gives?

The -2 really represents "my offhand is much less trained and I lack the proper coordination to properly perform actions that would otherwise be completely second nature to my dominant hand". This makes sense because a fully enabled smart link device can show you where to point and thus alleviate your lack of skill with a total modifier of -0 while your main hand benefits more because you've trained with it.

Likewise, when you do get to the -2 due to injury your main hand is now shaky because you've been fragging shot and the offhand is now both uncoordinated and in pain and is represented by -4.

TL;DR: Wound modifiers are a general way of explaining injury in a fictional setting. Talk to anyone that has been shot (with or without protection) and most will tell you they wouldn't be shooting let alone standing afterwards.

Sorry, friend, you missed my point entirely.  My question is about why the degree of penalty is the same as 6 boxes of damage, when reality doesn't match that degree of difficulty by comparison.  Incidentally, I have played rpgs for about 20 years, and am familiar with all the obvious concepts. I agree that if anything, damage mods should come up to reflect reality better.  They kept the damage mods the same as in 1e, but the dice pools they effect have doubled.  Needs a tweak I think.

Aaron

« Reply #171 on: <07-27-13/0026:40> »
My friend is converting a rigger from 4E to 5E and for autosofts, it says "A drone has a number of slots to use for autosofts and cyberprograms equal to half its Device Rating, rounded up." The only area that is listed that has a drone device rating is on p.421 that lists drones as rating 2.

Is there any other page that includes this information or are all drones just...average?

If your drone is armed, you can probably convince your GM that your drone is a security or even military device, bumping the DR up to 3 or 4.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #172 on: <07-27-13/1505:36> »
p309 Would the Adept power attribute boost add to unarmed damage if applied to Strength?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #173 on: <07-27-13/1623:03> »
Customization of Cyberlimbs
Can be used to increase basic cyberlimbs to match (but not exceed) your STR and/or AGI
p.456 You can have your cyberlimb tailored and customized to your frame and musculature

If your STR and/or AGI exceed natural maximum (from other cyberware, exceptional attribute quality, adept powers etc.)
- then you can still only customize basic cyberlimb up to your natural maximum for that attribute.
p.456 If either of your limb’s attributes are increased beyond your natural maximum for that attribute, you can’t use the cyberlimb

Trolls (and to some extent Orks) buying customized cyberlimbs at chargen might need to verify that total availability from base cyberlimb and customization does not exceed 12 (table on p.457)

You can enhance your cyberlimb beyond the customization to your frame and musculature and even beyond your natural maximum. This is done with cyberlimb enhancements (1-3 ranks each, they cost capacity and nuyen. Table on p.457)

The 3rd rank of armor have availability 15 (so you can only get max +2 enhanced armor per cyberlimb during chargen).
« Last Edit: <07-27-13/1624:39> by Xenon »

Aaron

« Reply #174 on: <07-27-13/1908:45> »
p309 Would the Adept power attribute boost add to unarmed damage if applied to Strength?
Nothing. It only adds dice to dice pools involving Strength.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #175 on: <07-27-13/1921:21> »
p.456 Customization of cyberlimb state that:
  • "You can have your cyberlimb tailored and customized to your frame and musculature"
  • You can not customize your cyberlimb "beyond your natural maximum for that attribute"
Should this be read as;

A) You can improve your cyberlimb to [but not beyond] your value for that attribute
- and not beyond your natural maximum for that attribute
(in case your value for that attribute is augmented beyond natural maximum with for example exceptional attribute)

or

B) You can improve your cyberlimb to [but not beyond] your natural maximum for that attribute
(the first sentence and your value for that attribute having no impact at all on how much you can customize the cyberlimb).

Points for A)
"You can have your cyberlimb tailored and customized to your frame and musculature" is not the same as "You can have your cyberlimb tailored and customized beyond your frame and musculature" nor is it the same as "You can have your cyberlimb tailored and customized to your maximum natural frame and musculature".

Points for B)
Street Samurai Archetype have a strength 11 cyberlimb but he only got 5 strength (implying custom cyberlimb beyond 5, all the way up to maximum natural of 8, followed by +3 enhancement).
« Last Edit: <07-27-13/1924:21> by Xenon »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #176 on: <07-27-13/1929:53> »
Buying back Magic rating

If i have 5 Magic (max magic 6 and essence 6.0) and install a data jack, then I will get 4 Magic (max magic 5).

In SR4 it would cost 25 Karma to get up from 4 Magic to 5 Magic (max magic 5).
However, in SR5 I can't find a rule for this. Have it changed.....?

Will it cost me:

A) 25 Karma

or

B) 30 Karma

Raiden

• Omae
« Reply #177 on: <07-28-13/0034:27> »
Shock gloves. first questions, do you receive the +2 for touch attacks with them? if so, or if not more likely, if I -punch- someone, why can I not do my STR damage then the stun damage? I still HIT them with a punch, + the stun. same for any stun baton.
speech
Matrix
Actions
Thoughts

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #178 on: <07-28-13/0039:18> »
Shock gloves. first questions, do you receive the +2 for touch attacks with them? if so, or if not more likely, if I -punch- someone, why can I not do my STR damage then the stun damage? I still HIT them with a punch, + the stun. same for any stun baton.

Well, for one thing, trying to double dip on damage like that would, by most definitions, cross the border into munchkinism.  Secondly, shockgloves and stun batons are built to be less-lethal weapons - they're specifically designed to AVOID the kind of injury that would deal Physical damage.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Raiden

• Omae
« Reply #179 on: <07-28-13/0043:11> »

Well, for one thing, trying to double dip on damage like that would, by most definitions, cross the border into munchkinism.  Secondly, shockgloves and stun batons are built to be less-lethal weapons - they're specifically designed to AVOID the kind of injury that would deal Physical damage.

Ok, not trying to get it, just asking, common sense states it would still have the power of the punch behind it. main thing is do they get the +2 for touch attacks. If you have to actually -hit- them then my second question holds more sway.
speech
Matrix
Actions
Thoughts