NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #150 on: <07-23-13/1229:12> »
Long list of required clarification regarding firing modes, sorry if some of them have already been asked:

The information is spread over many sections and some points remains unclear to me (maybe I missed somthing). I would greatly appreciate if Catalyst could confirm my understanding on the following points and fill the holes:

- SS weapons:
            - can fire 1 round per Simple Action, maximum 1 attack action per Action phase (p. 165 & 178). no cumulative recoil (p. 176).
            - It is possible to use Multiple Attacks free action to fire 2 SS weapons in a single Simple Action (by spliting the dice pool)  if the character have one SS weapon readied in each hand (p. 165 & 178). In that case cumulative recoil applies (p. 176).

- SA weapons:
            - can fire 1 round per Simple Action, maximum 1 attack action per Action phase (p. 165 & 178). cumulative recoil applies (p. 175)
            - It is possible to use Multiple Attacks free action to fire 2 SA weapons in a single Simple Action (by spliting the dice pool) if the character have one SA weapon readied in each hand (p. 165 & 179).
            - SA weapons can also fire 1 semi-automatic burst (3 rounds) in one Complex Action (p. 167 & 179).
            - Semi-automatic bursts can take advantage of the Multiple Attacks Free Action to fire at multiple targets with the same burst (p. 167 & 179). Note that p. 167 this ability is limited to short and medium range, whereas no such limitation is stated p. 179. Does the range limitation applies? How does shooting several targets with a single burst work? (maximum number of targets, number of bullets, defense modifier...)
            - A character who has one readied SA weapon in each hand can use Multiple Attacks Free Action to fire a semi-automatic burst with each weapon (p. 167). in p. 179 the description of semi-automatic bursts does not list this option, whereas it is done for SA mode just above. Is this option possible? How does it combine with shooting several targets with a single burst?

- BF weapons:
            - can fire 3 rounds in a Simple Action, maximum 1 attack action per Action phase (p. 165 & 179)
            - It is possible to use Multiple Attacks free action to fire 2 BF weapons in a single Simple Action (by spliting the dice pool) if the character have one BF weapon readied in each hand (p. 165). in p. 179 the description of Burst Fire does not list this option, whereas it is done for SA mode just above. Is this option possible? How does it combine with shooting several targets with a single burst?
            - BF weapons can take advantage of the Multiple Attacks Free Action to fire at multiple targets with the same burst (p. 179). Note that p. 165 this ability is not listed. Does this ability exist? Does the range limitation of SA-burst applies? How does shooting several targets with a single burst work? (maximum number of targets, number of bullets, defense modifier...)

- Long Burst:
            - the description p. 179 seems to indicate that this is a second firing mode for BF weapons. (just quickly firing in Burst Fire mode). Can you confirm? if not can you elaborate?
            - Long bursts can take advantage of the Multiple Attacks Free Action to fire at multiple targets with the same burst (p. 167 & 179). Note that p. 167 this ability is limited to short and medium range, whereas no such limitation is stated p. 179. Does the range limitation applies? How does shooting several targets with a single burst work? (maximum number of targets, number of bullets, defense modifier...)
            - A character who has one readied LB weapon in each hand can use Multiple Attacks Free Action to fire a semi-automatic burst with each weapon (p. 167). in p. 179 the description of semi-automatic bursts does not list this option, whereas it is done for SA mode just above. Is this option possible? How does it combine with shooting several targets with a single burst?

- Full Auto weapons:
            - can fire 6 bullets in a Simple Action, maximum 1 attack action per Action phase (p. 165 & 179)
            - It is possible to use Multiple Attacks free action to fire 2 FA weapons in a single Simple Action (by spliting the dice pool) if the character have one FA weapon readied in each hand (p. 165). in p. 179 the description of FA does not list this option, whereas it is done for SA mode just above. Is this option possible? How does it combine with shooting several targets with a single burst?
            - FA weapons can take advantage of the Multiple Attacks Free Action to fire at multiple targets with the same burst with a Simple Action (p. 179). Note that p. 165 this ability is not listed. Does this ability exist? Does the range limitation of SA-burst applies? How does shooting several targets with a single burst work? (maximum number of targets, number of bullets, defense modifier...)
            - FA weapons can fire 10 bullets in a Complex Action (p. 167 & 179)
            - It is possible to use Multiple Attacks free action to fire 2 FA weapons in a single Complex Action (by spliting the dice pool) if the character have one FA weapon readied in each hand (p. 167). in p. 179 the description of FA does not list this option, whereas it is done for SA mode just above. Is this option possible? How does it combine with shooting several targets with a single burst?
            - FA weapons can take advantage of the Multiple Attacks Free Action to fire at multiple targets with the same burst with a Complex Action (p. 179). Note that p. 167 this ability is not listed. Does this ability exist? Does the range limitation of SA-burst applies? How does shooting several targets with a single burst work? (maximum number of targets, number of bullets, defense modifier...)

- Supressive Fire: The description p. 179 seems to mean that only FA weapons can perform suppressive fire (which was also the case in SR4) but it is not stated clearly. Can you please confirm this assumption?
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

Ghoulfodder

• Chummer
« Reply #151 on: <07-23-13/1305:33> »
Biggest counterexample in the book for this "you must build your character 1 Step at a time, in that specific order" theory: Rob gives his character 11 Strength in Step 2 because he plans to take the Exceptional Attribute (Strength) Positive Quality in Step 4. And no, the "the gamemaster has given Rob permission to take this quality at character creation" bit doesn't mean the GM allowed him to sequence-break: it's there because the description of Exceptional Attribute states it requires express GM permission.
Having re-read it the other day I'd like to retract and revise my opinion.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #152 on: <07-23-13/1331:37> »
From the Clarifications thread:

Quote from: Daedalus
Here is one we came across during gameplay last weekend.
Paralyzing howl effects a rigger jumped into his drone (riggers meat body was in range of the howl). Can he still operate the drone? All of his matrix attributes are still above 0.
If he was not jumped in already, could he do so?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #153 on: <07-23-13/1334:12> »
As stated before, questions should go to the FAQ thread. I moved Daedalus' question there, but future questions will simply be removed from this thread.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #154 on: <07-23-13/1837:09> »
Here is one:
If you use more Reagents  then Force in the making of an Alchemical Preparation, can your final potency exceed the Force
of the spell prepared? (By strict reading of RAW, this is the case, since the drams of reagents you use replaces the Force
for the Limits, and the preparation roll is opposed Alchemy+magic[Force/drams of reagents] vs the Force of the Spell being
prepared, net hits becoming the Potency of the preparation)

Aaron

« Reply #155 on: <07-23-13/2356:35> »
This one I can answer on the quick:

Here is one:
If you use more Reagents  then Force in the making of an Alchemical Preparation, can your final potency exceed the Force
of the spell prepared? (By strict reading of RAW, this is the case, since the drams of reagents you use replaces the Force
for the Limits, and the preparation roll is opposed Alchemy+magic[Force/drams of reagents] vs the Force of the Spell being
prepared, net hits becoming the Potency of the preparation)

Yes, it's possible to end up with a preparation with a Potency higher than Force by spending reagents.

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #156 on: <07-24-13/0050:14> »
Why does an off-hand task equate to the same degree of difficulty reflected by suffering 6 boxes of damage?
-2 dice for off-handedness?  My hand is slightly less dexterous, not shattered.  What gives? 

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #157 on: <07-24-13/0105:12> »
Not probably that big of a deal and don't know if this has been said yet either. Encumbrance rules use the weight of the equipment verses your carrying capacity but I don't see weight listed for anything except explosives. GM is just making stuff up right now but thought it would be nice to have on the tables or in the book.

Red
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

quindraco

• Newb
« Reply #158 on: <07-24-13/1140:28> »
What does addiction rating actually do?

Page 414 says you take an addiction test every time you take an addictive substance during 11-Addiction Rating weeks in a row, but also says that substances with a high rating can get you hooked in a single dose.  Assuming, then, that you take a test on the first dose, let's look at Kamikaze (rating 9, meaning 2 weeks).  You'd roll a test on first taking it, then if you went 3 weeks before taking it again, you'd roll again, because no rule says you don't.  But you also roll if you take it a second time immediately.  So when does addiction rating actually come into play or affect gameplay?

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #159 on: <07-24-13/1203:38> »

Page 414 says you take an addiction test every time you take an addictive substance during 11-Addiction Rating weeks in a row, but also says that substances with a high rating can get you hooked in a single dose.  Assuming, then, that you take a test on the first dose, let's look at Kamikaze (rating 9, meaning 2 weeks).  You'd roll a test on first taking it, then if you went 3 weeks before taking it again, you'd roll again, because no rule says you don't.  But you also roll if you take it a second time immediately.  So when does addiction rating actually come into play or affect gameplay?
I posted my interpretation of this in a different topic: by "in a single dose", they mean that with a high enough Addiction Rating (specifically, if Addiction Rating + Addiction Threshold >= 11), the Threshold won't go down to 0 before you're supposed to do your first test, so even if you only use it once, you'll have to do an Addiction Test at some point, and therefore risk becoming addicted. Nothing in the rules suggests you have to make an Addiction Test immediately.

Elizara Dane

• Newb
  • Discreet negotiations and arbitrations by request
« Reply #160 on: <07-24-13/1213:04> »
Why does an off-hand task equate to the same degree of difficulty reflected by suffering 6 boxes of damage?
-2 dice for off-handedness?  My hand is slightly less dexterous, not shattered.  What gives?

The -2 really represents "my offhand is much less trained and I lack the proper coordination to properly perform actions that would otherwise be completely second nature to my dominant hand". This makes sense because a fully enabled smart link device can show you where to point and thus alleviate your lack of skill with a total modifier of -0 while your main hand benefits more because you've trained with it.

Likewise, when you do get to the -2 due to injury your main hand is now shaky because you've been fragging shot and the offhand is now both uncoordinated and in pain and is represented by -4.

TL;DR: Wound modifiers are a general way of explaining injury in a fictional setting. Talk to anyone that has been shot (with or without protection) and most will tell you they wouldn't be shooting let alone standing afterwards.
My goal? Dear, my one goal is only the most noble goal of all...

A life of luxury, of course.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #161 on: <07-26-13/0003:55> »
p 298 Circle of Healing

Is any health spell considered a "healing spell" for purposes of Circle of healing or only spells that heal damage? if the more restrictive definition is correct would spells that cure disease be considered "healing spells."

Psikerlord

• Omae
« Reply #162 on: <07-26-13/0037:34> »
I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with answers, folks. I have been copying down all the questions to be distilled into a FAQ to be answered and posted through more official channels than just me. Thanks for bearing with me.
We appreciate all your hard work Aaron  :)

Psikerlord

• Omae
« Reply #163 on: <07-26-13/0049:26> »
Can i just throw this out there... currently grenades seem pretty damn deadly. If there is no defence roll, only a soak damage roll, could the devs consider slipping something into the interrupt "active defence" actions that helps mitigate grenades and spell AoE damage?

Eg: "Incoming!"
Interrupt action. -5 initiative. An AoE is about to hit and you dive out of harms way like a boss. Gain gymnastics or willpower or something to your soak roll for the AoE damage.

quindraco

• Newb
« Reply #164 on: <07-26-13/0109:20> »

I posted my interpretation of this in a different topic: by "in a single dose", they mean that with a high enough Addiction Rating (specifically, if Addiction Rating + Addiction Threshold >= 11), the Threshold won't go down to 0 before you're supposed to do your first test, so even if you only use it once, you'll have to do an Addiction Test at some point, and therefore risk becoming addicted. Nothing in the rules suggests you have to make an Addiction Test immediately.

If you don't take it immediately, when would you take it?