NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #90 on: <07-15-13/2246:50> »
When making an Alchemical Preparation of a Sustained Spell:
Is there a duration, or is the preparation sustained like normal?

Shade

• Chummer
« Reply #91 on: <07-15-13/2259:50> »
Page 306:

"it lasts for (Potency) minutes (or in
the case of a permanent spell until it becomes permanent)."

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #92 on: <07-16-13/0215:07> »
Page 306:

"it lasts for (Potency) minutes (or in
the case of a permanent spell until it becomes permanent)."

Gods..I feel stupid for missing that...then again, there is ALOT of stuff to digest. I missed seeing the Programs number on the
Cyberdeck chart the first five times I looked at it..and i was *LOOKING* for that information..

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #93 on: <07-16-13/0307:34> »
Will Wired Reflexes Cyberware (or Improved Reflexes Adept Power, or Increase Reflexes Spell etc.) give you initiative while hacking in Augmented Reality?

On "Cracking the Matrix Spine" on p.231 the User Modes Table imply that you have your Physical Initiative and Physical Initiative Dice while hacking from Augmented Reality.
- If this is correct, will that not make improved reflex 3 physical adepts potentially the fastest hackers in the game?

However on "Step Eight: Final Calculations" on p.101 in the Final Calculations Table they imply that there might be a difference between "[Physical] Initiative" (which "Add appropriate attribute and Initiative Dice bonuses") and "Matrix AR Initiative".
- but if so, what happens to your initiative when you switch back n fourth between your meat body and your AR matrix operations...??

A followup on that. What is Technomancer initiative in AR? on p.251 it says:
You use your Mental and Matrix attributes when calculating your Initiative, and your Initiative Dice use the normal rules for AR or hot-sim VR use.
The text make it sound as if we actually don't use Reaction (which is a physical attribute) + Intuition when calculating Initiative used in AR??

I assume that the intention of the sentence was this:
Initiative and Initiative Dice while in AR follow normal [physical] Initiative rules. Initiative and Initiative Dice while in VR follow Matrix VR Initiative (Hot Sim) rules.

Regards
Xenon

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #94 on: <07-16-13/1038:49> »
Semi-automatic vs Single Shot

I don't understand why when you fire a semi automatic weapon at the same rate of fire as a single shot weapon the semi automatic weapon adds recoil every action phase you fire it (progressive recoil) while the single shot weapon does not. If anything a single shot weapon would have more recoil when you fire it at the same rate of fire as a semi automatic weapon (as single fire weapons might come with bigger caliber / heavier bullets).

So with a STR of 6 and using a Colt Government 2066 semi automatic heavy pistol I would have 3 points of RC making the first shot unaffected as well as the 2nd shot and 3rd shot . But then something happens.  My 4th shot in this firefight  will get a -1 progressive recoil modifier and from there it will only get worse with an additional -1 per bullet i fire. My 6th bullet will have -3 on the roll due to progressive recoil even though I only fired it at single shot rate of fire.

If I instead had used a Ruger Super Warhawk single shot heavy pistol that not only deal more damage per shot it have also more armor penetration; I would never get any progress recoil modifier. Even if i only have STR 1 and fire one shot every action phase.

Is this really intended??

Would it not make more sense if instead of getting 1 free point anytime you start firing you now instead get 1 free point every action phase?

That way you don't build any recoil with single shot or semi automatic weapons (unless you use semi-automatic bursts) and you still build 1 point of progressive recoil if you dual wield or 2 points of progressive recoil if you use Semi-Automatic Burst or Burst Fire, 5 points of progressive recoil for Long Burst and simple action Full Auto and 9 points of progressive recoil if you fire complex action FA.

Actually, is it really intended that gas vent only compensate for the first 1-3 bullets and then they pretty much stop working and does nothing at all to every single bullet after the initial few...? Would it not make sense that gas vents of 2070+ would reduce the overall kick for all bullets...?

Could even see a scenario where no weapons cause any negative progressive recoil as long as you got enough strength and got enough recoil compensation in the forms of gas vent systems and stock etc. to reduce all the recoil from all bullets fired in an action phase. That only unmitigated recoil each action phase would carry over to the next. Where recoil compensation would "reset" each action phase (or at least every combat turn??). This could probably cut the "1 free point anytime you start firing".
- If not everyone will start to modify even light semi-automatic pistols with max rank(?!) gas vent systems. Just for shooting a single shot every action phase and not even use semi-automatic burst fire at all.

Thoughts on that?

Regards
Xenon

Kadvis

• Newb
« Reply #95 on: <07-16-13/1411:34> »
AREA Combat Spells question.

I haven't seen anyone else ask this question, so maybe I'm just dense. But I really don't understand how indirect area combat spells work.

"Area indirect spells travel from the magician to the point of detonation and then go boom. The test is like that for grenades (p. 181): a Spellcasting + Magic [Force] (3) Test with scatter of 2D6
meters. Unlike grenades, you get to add your net hits on this test to the Damage Value of the spell, but only if you beat the threshold; otherwise the spell still detonates, but the hits are used to reduce scatter by one meter per hit.." pg 283.

Now I would think this means that if cast Fireball force 5 with and get  3 hits everyone in the area resists 5P -5AP with body + armor + fire resist, while if I get 1 hit  the spells scatters a few meters and everyone in the new area resists 5P -5AP with body + armor + fire resist. But in the side bar example on the same page the mage casts a force 7 Blast and gets 5 hits then the gangers roll reaction + intuition lowing his net hits and then resist damage with body+armor.  (the example doesn't mention anything about scatter or the threshold).

These seemingly conflicting rules leave me with several questions.

First off I am assuming that the caster only makes one roll to cast the spell.

1. Is the sidebar just wrong?
2. Is the rules text wrong?
3. Do these both some how work together?   If so, do the threshold dice count as hits for damage? ie. If a Mage gets 6 hits on a force 6 fireball  and the Ganger gets 3 hits on reaction + intuition does the ganger have to resist 9P (3 net hits) or  6P (0 net hits after threshold)?
4. What happens if the Ganger spends edge a gets 10 hits, does he have to resist 6P or is he now resisting 2P or 0P depending on how the threshold works?
5. Is everything I said wrong an it works some other way that I'm not getting?

Side note -- I have similar questions about defending against thrown grenades -- Basically is there any defense against a wireless/motion sense thrown grenade or do I just have to soak on average 10P AP -2  if anybody tries to throw a grenade at my feat even if they get 0 successes?

Thanks

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #96 on: <07-16-13/1417:55> »
I don't understand why when you fire a semi automatic weapon at the same rate of fire as a single shot weapon the semi automatic weapon adds recoil every action phase you fire it (progressive recoil) while the single shot weapon does not. If anything a single shot weapon would have more recoil when you fire it at the same rate of fire as a semi automatic weapon (as single fire weapons might come with bigger caliber / heavier bullets).
We were told specifically that this was a bone tossed to SS users. I think Aaron posted that, but I may have the wrong staff member's name.
« Last Edit: <07-16-13/1727:15> by GiraffeShaman »

Raiden

• Omae
« Reply #97 on: <07-16-13/1725:07> »
So my warhawk got a boost.. awesome
speech
Matrix
Actions
Thoughts

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #98 on: <07-16-13/1731:30> »
We were told specifically that this was a bone tossed to SS users. I think Aaron posted that, but I may have the wrong staff member's name.
WTB a single shot heavy pistol that have BF mode ;)

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #99 on: <07-16-13/1813:48> »
AREA Combat Spells question.

I haven't seen anyone else ask this question, so maybe I'm just dense. But I really don't understand how indirect area combat spells work.

"Area indirect spells travel from the magician to the point of detonation and then go boom. The test is like that for grenades (p. 181): a Spellcasting + Magic [Force] (3) Test with scatter of 2D6
meters. Unlike grenades, you get to add your net hits on this test to the Damage Value of the spell, but only if you beat the threshold; otherwise the spell still detonates, but the hits are used to reduce scatter by one meter per hit.." pg 283.

Now I would think this means that if cast Fireball force 5 with and get  3 hits everyone in the area resists 5P -5AP with body + armor + fire resist, while if I get 1 hit  the spells scatters a few meters and everyone in the new area resists 5P -5AP with body + armor + fire resist. But in the side bar example on the same page the mage casts a force 7 Blast and gets 5 hits then the gangers roll reaction + intuition lowing his net hits and then resist damage with body+armor.  (the example doesn't mention anything about scatter or the threshold).

These seemingly conflicting rules leave me with several questions.

First off I am assuming that the caster only makes one roll to cast the spell.

1. Is the sidebar just wrong?
2. Is the rules text wrong?
3. Do these both some how work together?   If so, do the threshold dice count as hits for damage? ie. If a Mage gets 6 hits on a force 6 fireball  and the Ganger gets 3 hits on reaction + intuition does the ganger have to resist 9P (3 net hits) or  6P (0 net hits after threshold)?
4. What happens if the Ganger spends edge a gets 10 hits, does he have to resist 6P or is he now resisting 2P or 0P depending on how the threshold works?
5. Is everything I said wrong an it works some other way that I'm not getting?

Side note -- I have similar questions about defending against thrown grenades -- Basically is there any defense against a wireless/motion sense thrown grenade or do I just have to soak on average 10P AP -2  if anybody tries to throw a grenade at my feat even if they get 0 successes?

Thanks

OK...here is how I understand things:

You roll your spellcasting test. If it was something other then an Indirect Combat Spell, then it would work as the main
rules  text. However, the Indirect Combat Spells rule trumps the Area Effect Spells rule(since the Area Effect Spells is
more general, and specific trumps general). So, for Indirect Combat Spells, you do the whole thing with the targets
rolling their Reaction+Intuition, and take the appropriate damage. The targets of the spell roll their body+armor because..
the spell is Indirect.

I am guessing it works like this because: Direct Combat Spells, Mass Mood, etc, etc don't have a directly visible effect
tied with their creation, and the caster can be off in their point of targeting, while Indirect Area spells have some sort of
precursor to the effect the Mage can use to adjust the point of detonation.

Genesis 137

• Newb
« Reply #100 on: <07-16-13/2356:03> »
I haven't seen anywhere on the 5th ed. book that sound suppressors/silencers be used at the same time with gas vent systems as it was in previous editions. Is this an oversight from the book or now you can have your gas vent system working when firing an suppressed weapon?
"Uma nação que confia em seus direitos, em vez de confiar em seus soldados, engana-se a si mesma e prepara a sua própria queda." - Ruy Barbosa

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #101 on: <07-17-13/0019:03> »
Two questions:
1. How do you handle multiple attacks with two different types of firearms that use two different dice pools?  Say I have a pistol in one hand and an SMG in the other (assume i'm ambidextrous).  Let's say my pistol skill is 3 and my automatics skill is 5 and my agility is 4.  So if it's my Action phase, I use a free to get Multiplie Attacks, then I use a simple to fire a Burst with my SMG (say I have RC 3).  Would I roll two attacks: the pistol with dicepool 7 and the SMG with the dicepool 9?  From the Multiple Attacks section it seems that you're always splitting dicepools to fire two different weapons or multiple times with the same weapon.

2.  If I take an Aim Simple action, does the Multiple Attacks Free Action destroy it even though it's basically part of the aimed attack? 

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #102 on: <07-17-13/0230:20> »
1. How do you handle multiple attacks with two different types of firearms that use two different dice pools?
Smallest pool is used for both attacks. Uncompensated recoil stack.

2.  If I take an Aim Simple action, does the Multiple Attacks Free Action destroy it even though it's basically part of the aimed attack?
The multiple attack free action must be combined with an attack action, but free actions during your action phase does not need to come as your first action...
- So i suppose you can use an aim simple action (or a ready weapon simple action) and then call a multiple attack free action if you still have a free action to spend - and combine it with a simple attack action.

I wonder if you can use a simple quickdraw action and then call a attack multiple attack free action followed by an attack action (since the attack action must follow "immediately" after the quickdraw...)

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #103 on: <07-17-13/0256:45> »
That's the fourth edition rule, what page do you find it in SR5?

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #104 on: <07-17-13/0307:33> »
I wonder if you can use a simple quickdraw action and then call a attack multiple attack free action followed by an attack action (since the attack action must follow "immediately" after the quickdraw...)

Let us go through the following simple test here:
Does the quickdraw action result in an attack? Yes. Thus it counts as an attack.
What is the exact wording on the attacks prohibition in fire semi-auto? "but may not
take any other attack actions in the same Action Phase."
This does not have a stipulation of "further attack actions" but says "other attack actions."
This means that no, you may not use the "Fire Semi-Auto" action if you used the "Quickdraw"
action.

Now, I could be wrong..but this is how I interpret the rules.