NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Ricochet

• Omae
« Reply #60 on: <07-14-13/0746:12> »
Do SINners really pay their taxes on their illegal Shadowrun money?  Something just seems off about that.

r4nd0m

• Newb
« Reply #61 on: <07-14-13/0757:44> »
If they're smart they do.  Look up Al Capone...

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #62 on: <07-14-13/0913:46> »
Do SINners really pay their taxes on their illegal Shadowrun money?  Something just seems off about that.

It makes me think a job of a Fixer now includes money laundering...

Ricochet

• Omae
« Reply #63 on: <07-14-13/0915:26> »
Capone failed to submit tax returns at all.  Had he filed returns on "legal" income, and covered up the illegal stuff, he probably would never have been convicted.

I'm just not sure putting down that you made 50k killing execs is a good data trail to hand over.

If you are getting paid in certified cred sticks, good luck to the corp trying to trace the money trail anyway.  Especially since you likely were doing all your work under various fake SINS.

I understand the play balance for the karma, but the mechanic itself seems wonky.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #64 on: <07-14-13/0932:57> »
Capone failed to submit tax returns at all.  Had he filed returns on "legal" income, and covered up the illegal stuff, he probably would never have been convicted.

I'm just not sure putting down that you made 50k killing execs is a good data trail to hand over.

If you are getting paid in certified cred sticks, good luck to the corp trying to trace the money trail anyway.  Especially since you likely were doing all your work under various fake SINS.

I understand the play balance for the karma, but the mechanic itself seems wonky.

We can assume two things: 1) If you take a job for the Corp you have the SIN with, they know who you are, and so, you should pay them that
tax income. 2) Your lifestyle expenses and docwagon contracts and any vehicles you drive under your legitimate SIN are known expenses, and,
thus, you can assume that those are values that will be taxed.

We can also guess one thing: Do you want to risk the advantages that come with a SIN for forgetting to pay your taxes? I would believe that any runner is going to have their Fixer launder some of the money for them, so they can have a tax trail of "legitimate" income, and so...they will pay some taxes, just not ALL the taxes they should..

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #65 on: <07-14-13/1308:07> »
Why is it that no SS and SA are now the same ?

I mean why can't a character fire two shots with a SA gun in the same action phase rather then having to use that SA burst ?
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #66 on: <07-14-13/1332:09> »

I mean why can't a character fire two shots with a SA gun in the same action phase rather then having to use that SA burst ?

They're not the same. SS doesn't track cumulative recoil, while SA gives the option of an SA burst. They are in fact completely distinct.

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #67 on: <07-14-13/1612:49> »
1. Public Awareness Pg. 372. Can you buy points off like with Noteriety? Do you get another point for committing a similar action? ie you fight HTR teams on two separate occasions. It seems like a runner's career could be ended rather fast using these rules as they are written, with no way to remove it, and if the same action can get multiple points. But maybe that was the intention.

2. Noteriety. Any suggestions for how to use it? The problem is there is no general guideline given, unlike Public Awareness which has a handy chart. I'm thinking they don't want us using 4th edition Noteriety rules, since they didn't include them.

I like how reputation was done by the way. It doesn't get too overwhelming like it does as a pool modifier.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #68 on: <07-14-13/1621:07> »

...  The SA burst IS firing two shots (same effective action consumption, even).  There is no attacking twice in a pass in SR5, plain and simple.  It's not that they can't fire twice, it's that the effect of doing so is different.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Madman

• Newb
« Reply #69 on: <07-14-13/1708:41> »
Question about Cyberware and Bioware Essence costs.

Do you still half the value of the lower item? If I have 4 points of cyberware, and 3 points of bioware, do I still only pay 1.5 for the bioware, for a total 5.5 essence loss, or is that now a total of 7 points, and impossible to do?

I've looked and looked, and now I'm wondering if this is how they've nerfed cyber characters.   :'(

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #70 on: <07-14-13/1741:13> »

Do you still half the value of the lower item? If I have 4 points of cyberware, and 3 points of bioware, do I still only pay 1.5 for the bioware, for a total 5.5 essence loss, or is that now a total of 7 points, and impossible to do?

I've looked and looked, and now I'm wondering if this is how they've nerfed cyber characters.   :'(

That rule has indeed been removed, but it's important to note that Bioware essence costs have been reduced.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Madman

• Newb
« Reply #71 on: <07-14-13/1801:14> »

That rule has indeed been removed, but it's important to note that Bioware essence costs have been reduced.

Actually, being new here, I'd hate to point out that you're wrong, but the essence cost of Bioware is all the same.

The monetary costs have changed on most items, some costing as much as 3 or 4 times as much as 4th edition. Very few items (bone density augmentation, orthoskin, platelet factories to name a few) have been reduced in cost, but generally everything is way more expensive.

khaine1969

• Newb
« Reply #72 on: <07-14-13/1908:12> »
I see the above entry stating that the pilot upgrade and other vehicle goodies are being saved for another release, however it does talk about autosofts in the section on riggers implying they are available. It states they can be purchased from level 1-6, however no prices are given in the rigger section or the gear listing.
Sssooo...how much are they?

martinchaen

« Reply #73 on: <07-14-13/2044:11> »
P. 141/142, "Using Leadership" :
How long does the potential Initiative bonuses from the complex action "Rally" last. Until the next combat turn as per the "Changing Initiative" rules on P160, or until combat ends as there is no duration stated, or something else?

Martin

Mad Hamish

• Chummer
« Reply #74 on: <07-14-13/2056:11> »
Actually, being new here, I'd hate to point out that you're wrong, but the essence cost of Bioware is all the same.

The monetary costs have changed on most items, some costing as much as 3 or 4 times as much as 4th edition. Very few items (bone density augmentation, orthoskin, platelet factories to name a few) have been reduced in cost, but generally everything is way more expensive.

The ones that have gone up a lot in price were probably pretty underpriced in 4th ed though (Suprathyroid, Muscle Toner, Muscle Augmentation etc) 
With the reductions in multipliers for higher grades it should be possible to have more augments at higher grades so it might at least come close to making up for the loss of 1/2 essence cost on the lower of bio & cyber.