NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Aaron

« Reply #45 on: <07-12-13/1553:22> »
If someone has already jumped into a rigged device, you can't attempt to jump in until he vacates. (Pg. 241)  Can you force him to vacate via cybercombat and the like? Just jumping around to what interests me, so this may be an obvious question.

Yes. There are actually several options when it comes to getting a jumped-in rigger out of a vehicle or drone.

How do I purchase upgrades for Pilot rating for vehicles/drones.  Will it be the same cost as Agent software a la 4E?  Was it intentionally left out of the book for later supplement?  Did I miss a reference in some paragraph stating as much?

Indeed, that has been left for a later source book.

The Sneak program makes you immune to the physical location part of demiGOD convergence (but not the other parts of convergence) while it is running. (pg. 246) What about the Track program? Can this negate this feature of Sneak? And if so, don't demiGOD use it at times?

The answers to your three questions are, in order, no, nope, and that's why. =i)

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #46 on: <07-12-13/1705:54> »
GOD and GMen questions and a Grid question based on something that has come up at the other place.

1. Is GOD automated? Do they HAVE to boot the decker off, or could they say choose not to? One reason might be to give physical security time to nab the decker, such as BK at the bank who is quite close.

2. Do demiGODS or other off host security have a way to track a Decker who has the Sneak program up? How would they go about it and who would be involved?

3. Is it the most secure place to put a host on the Public Grid? (Due to the -2 modifier) If so, why don't the corps put their hosts there? Might they put black sites there for that reason?

4. How do G-Men track deckers down who have logged off? I'm sure this will be discussed in the Matrix book, but I'd like something to go off in the meantime for these types of situations. I'm interesting in Matrix methods and rules only. I'm aware they might use off Matrix means. Also, are they more likely to throw more resources into hunting a decker who hit a target on the Megacorp grids?

5. Are there any free floating patrolling spiders out there outside hosts? Does anything beyond GOD attempt to keep hacker gangs and vandals in line and the like?

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #47 on: <07-12-13/1909:58> »
A question on the proper splitting of dice pools for the multiple attack free action.

If Bob the troll has a pistols+agility pool of 10 dice and is using multiple attack to fire at two gangers with an Ares Predator in each hand. Ganger 1 is at medium range, ganger 2 is at Long  range and there is light fog. Bob does not have ambidexterity. Is the proper split.

A) 10  -1(Medium Range) - 2 (Long Range) -1 Fog -2 (Using Off Hand) =4 Dice and then split.
B) 10 -1 Fog= 9 Dice, split and then apply range and hand penalties to each pool seperately.
C) 10 -1 Fog -2 Off Hand= 7 Dice and then apply range penalties seperately.

A is how I currently read the rule, but either B or C could make sense.

Ulysse Argos

• Newb
« Reply #48 on: <07-13-13/0047:05> »
I have a question, about Weapons, in the Gear Chapter.

Some Weapons have one Accuracy value, while others have two value, like 6 (8).

I didn't found why these two value, so can someone explain this to me ? Thanks.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #49 on: <07-13-13/0048:22> »
I have a question, about Weapons, in the Gear Chapter.

Some Weapons have one Accuracy value, while others have two value, like 6 (8).

I didn't found why these two value, so can someone explain this to me ? Thanks.

I believe it means the weapon has a built in accessory that modifies the limit, like a smartlink or laser sight.

Ulysse Argos

• Newb
« Reply #50 on: <07-13-13/0218:21> »

I believe it means the weapon has a built in accessory that modifies the limit, like a smartlink or laser sight.

Ok, yes, thank you :)

Ulysse Argos

• Newb
« Reply #51 on: <07-13-13/0251:37> »
Hey, i have some others questions :

- can a magician select a Ritual like Spells, in Character Creation ?

- why not Shapechange spell in the rules ? Maybe it is not the most useful spell of Shadowrun, but it was fun.

Thufar_Hawat

• Newb
« Reply #52 on: <07-13-13/0820:44> »
Firing modes p178:
SS vs SA: Why firing one bullet per action phase in SA mode generates some recoil while firing one bullet per action phase in CC mode does not? My feeling is that SS weapons are slower to chamber the next round, making them unable to perform semi-automatic burst, but why does it prevent recoil?

Long Burst: which weapons can perform Long Burst? I feel that this mode is available to BF weapons but I cannot find a where it is stated (or even if it is correct)

Bursts & Multiple attacks: It is stated for Semi-automatic burst, Burst Fire, Long Burst and Full-auto that one can take advantage of the Multiple Attacks Free Action to fire at multiple targets with the same burst. Can you please detail how it shall be done. Here is my understanding (and questions):
   - the dice pool is splitted
   - only 1 burst is fired (i.e. ammo consumption unchanged)
   - what is the defense modifier applied to the targets? (full modifier or the modifier is also splitted)
   - it is stated p. 196 that the total number of attacks you can make in a single Action Phase is limited to one-half the attacker's Combat skill. I assume in that case it is also limited by the number of bullets (obvious but not stated)

But also under the rules on pg196, its states that "this action represents both attacking multiple times from a single melee weapon and attacking with two different weapons (melee or firearms)". This contradicts the burst fire rules that state you can do multiple attacks with a single firearm.

Would be nice to tidy up the auto fire rules and multiple targets in general and give better examples as right now it seems a bit of a mess.

r4nd0m

• Newb
« Reply #53 on: <07-13-13/0923:20> »
Addiction Tests p414
"Every time you use an addictive substance during (11
— Addiction Rating) weeks in a row, you need to make an
Addiction Test. The clock on this keeps ticking even if you
skip a week, but every week you go without indulging
reduces the Addiction Threshold by 1 (it returns to normal
when you use again). If the threshold hits 0, you’re off the
hook until you use the substance again. This means that
substances with high Addiction ratings (like kamikaze)
could get you hooked in a single dose."

So I take Kamikaze.  I assume i have to make an immediate addiction test, even though that isn't spelled out.  I pass at threshold 3.  Do I have to test the next week at a 2?  The week after at a 1?  Or do I only test at the lower threshold if I take it again?  If so then the threshold resetting when I take it seems weird.  Since it's a Rating 9, does that mean I only have to worry about it for (11-9 = ) 2 weeks?
« Last Edit: <07-13-13/0925:52> by r4nd0m »

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #54 on: <07-13-13/1046:50> »
Attacks like shock gloves, and touch spells.  Can I punch with them?  This was handled in a Faq in SR4, but I dont see it spelled out in 5e so it seems up in the air again.  Would this be a multi-attack if you can, how does that work in the case of the spell based attack?

Touch based indirect spells such as knockout, how does that work?  If I touched him he didn't really dodge it, does he get another reaction+intuition test to now dodge the spellcasting test, or do they eat the full damage?

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #55 on: <07-13-13/2345:54> »
Can you Initiate at character creation?

Sipowitz

• Omae
  • Smile for the camera
« Reply #56 on: <07-14-13/0105:07> »
Theses may have been asked somewhere else but I'll ask here.

Cash Reward says to calculate the highest dice pool of on any npc who will be directly opposing the players.  What happens if the players were able to bypass that particular npc?  Going to extremes seems like a run can net you aroundish 47k
Karma: doesn't the chart encourage players to antagonise every situation?  You get 2 karma for 'surviving the situation'.  Is 'surviving the situation' just shorthand?  Does this mean just surviving the whole run?  Is karma really low per run, i.e. surviving 2, completing all objectives 2, npc dp/6, +/- 2 depending on run type something like 3-11/run?
I'm not getting how much karma is supposed to be given out

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #57 on: <07-14-13/0355:45> »
Can you Initiate at character creation?

Definitely a good question. After all, there is enough karma there for one Initiate grade (two if one takes maximum Negative Qualities).
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #58 on: <07-14-13/0439:01> »
Not a rules question, but definately something that should be in the FAQ:

Why was there no history section like in previous editions? And can we expect the history in a future book, for new people to the game
who do not have the benefit of Grognards to bring them up to speed?

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #59 on: <07-14-13/0538:55> »
Rules Clarification
In  a case where someone left their Corp in good standing, but were effectively let go due to politics(Example: Worked for Lone Star
in Seattle when the contract was handed to Knight Errant. Lone Star released said character to Knight Errant in the transition, and Knight
Errant decided not to retain the character because firing some Metahumans would make Brackhaven happy), do they have a National
SIN, or Corporate Limited SIN? I.E. Once you have a Corporate Limited SIN, if you leave the company, do you revert to the National SIN
or are you still considered a "citizen" of the Corp you formerly worked for?