NEWS

Oath Stricture for Ash Society (Was Re: Requests for Missions FAQ Update -- March 2015 Edition)

• 2 Replies

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« on: <03-11-15/2331:37> »
I was just looking over the Ash Union as posted in version 1.2 of the FAQ and noticed that the group has individual strictures which require an Oath, however when looking over the allowed ordeals for missions, Oath is not listed.  Was this an oversight or deliberate?
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #1 on: <03-12-15/0038:32> »
Ok, I'm not really seeing where the Oath is actually required for any strictures the players have on them (Dues, Exclusive Membership, Exclusive Ritual).  But to be honest, the whole section is a bit muddled, with stuff sorta scattered about.  Players take an Oath of loyalty to the Ash Union, but it's not an Initiatory one.  It's just a pledge of allegiance type of Oath.

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <03-12-15/0739:57> »
While I accept your ruling, I'm just posting this to show what I found and why I asked the question.

On p.129 of Street Grimoire, left column, 1st paragraph under the chart "For each member there is specific set of individual strictures that the group can establish if the group bond includes an oath."

And p. 142 of Street Grimoire, the Oath Ordeal itself. "The oath ordeal, in which the character swears an oath to obey a given magical group’s rules and strictures,"

I perfectly willing to go as is (the Ash Union didn't exist when my mage initiated), but you may want to address this officially because there will be players that say because there is no Oath ordeal, there's no way for a group to enforce the strictures.
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.