NEWS

Want to join Catalyst Demo Team - Need advice

• 13 Replies

Brian2112

• Newb
« on: <08-27-14/2036:08> »
Not sure if this is the right sub, but the sticky about the CDT is here, so here it is...

I love SR (duh).  I've played since 2E came out and had a regular weekend game for years.  The problem is that I played 4E sporadically and very little of 5E.  I'm familiar with the setting, the world, how to craft a story in the SR world and most of the fluff.  I'm just not familiar with the 5E rules.  I wish it was just a simple fix like 'play a bunch of games'.  I live in Texas and most of my gamer friends are in other states.  A quick glance at the CDT page doesn't show any events for the Dallas area.  I posted on Looking For Game/Group about a year and a half ago when I moved here, but no luck.  I tried the social networking site Meetup, but most of those events are Pathfinder, MtG, or boardgames.

I know the background and can read the rules.  Do you think it's worth applying for a CDT spot?  I'm not an expert on 5E, but I'll learn quick.  I don't see a lot of interest in the DFW area, so maybe a good demo rep could fix that.  If I get noobs for the Welcome to the Sixth World events, I may not know everything, but I know more than them :) 

Is it worth my time applying? Or do I really need to reach 'expert' level with the rules?

Thanks,
Brian 

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-28-14/0938:17> »
As a player, I have this to say: my brother joined the Demo team with less than a year of experience of GMing 4th, so as long as you make sure to read the entire rulebook, I think you'll be fine.

Timothy M. Patrick

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <08-28-14/1440:04> »

If you have the interest go for it, their is a cadre of veteran GM's more then willing to help, if you have any questions. I would strongly recommend E-mailing Ray sinthalix@yahoo.com. I ran into more then a few players at Gencon and Origins from the DFW area looking for more Shadowrun in their neck of the woods.

A great way to start would be to just do some demo games for a few sessions while you get the word out and get players to come around. I can tell you the Shadowrun fans by far and away have been the best at working with the GM. If you don't know the answer go with what helps the story along and look it up later.
Co-Host of CriticalGlitch a Shadowrun podcast Criticalglitch.com

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <08-28-14/1956:16> »
Yes, it is worth your time applying!

We are always on the lookout for new GMs, whether brand new to Shadowrun (or this edition) or individuals that have been running it since SR1.

No matter what our experience level, every single one of us learns something new and are never truly experts!

As Tim said, just shoot me an e-mail!
Ray Rigel
Former Shadowrun Missions Developer and Event Coordinator
Catalyst Demo Team

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #4 on: <09-08-14/1452:54> »
I do recommend joining the Demo Team. I think it has been very worthwhile.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #5 on: <09-08-14/1521:52> »
Ferret, your role on these forums should be updated with your Demo Team status!
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Emperors Grace

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <10-15-14/1728:07> »
Huh, I had thought about joining a few months back myself but had been put off by the "expert" bit.  I played/DM'd 1st and 2nd but I've only played a little of 5.

I'll have to re-read/reconsider. 

Our closest CDT that I'm aware of is 45 mins away and while he ran at last years convention, he didn't this year.  The group that runs the con has been asking if anyone would run a monthly SR5 group as well due to interest (and I had been thinking of picking that duty up anyway).

Can anyone give a short/sweet version of what the expected minimum committment is? 

I'd like to be eyes open on the time factor particularly as I wouldn't be able to give a weekly time committment at this point.
« Last Edit: <10-15-14/1735:21> by Emperors Grace »

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #7 on: <10-15-14/1801:56> »
6 sessions a calendar year is the full time commitment.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #8 on: <10-15-14/1941:00> »
Which if you run at most of the conventions (I know if you do Origins and or GenCon) you're covered.

Also there is the reporting of said events., that is something that needs to be done.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #9 on: <10-15-14/2204:09> »
I'm about to start up a weekly (maybe bi-weekly or monthly) session demoing Crossfire to players at my FLGS.  If there's enough interest after time, I might open up my weekly PnP table to the public as well.  Making 6 games a year with a schedule like that would be cake.

Honestly, it's not that hard to make the minimum commitment.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #10 on: <10-15-14/2208:33> »
Ferret, your role on these forums should be updated with your Demo Team status!

Sure, but I don't know how to go about asking for it.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #11 on: <10-16-14/0554:15> »
I'd bump the topic for it, see if there's a reply this time since kinks can happen. Otherwise, maybe poke thegreatsarcasmo?

Emperors Grace: It's 3 events entered+reported (as succesful) per rolling 12 month period for Field Agent status, and 6 for Special Agent status. Before you hit 3 events you may have to poke Ray for access to a few things, since fresh agents cannot access everything if they're not Field Agents yet.

In my case, I run Missions monthly and skipped the summer during my first year, so hitting 6 is quite doable. Monthly works out just fine.

I got a few more things but I'm shooting you a PM on those.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Emperors Grace

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <10-16-14/1022:02> »
Thanks, Michael.

Wailer

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
  • Live Fast. Die Young.
« Reply #13 on: <10-24-14/2024:24> »
Huh, I had thought about joining a few months back myself

-  I'm Wailer, and I approve this message