NEWS

Best pistol in the game?

• 220 Replies

Tonatiuh

• Chummer
  • ˇViva Aztlan!
« on: <10-18-11/1008:57> »
What is it? I'm not looking for stealth; I'm simply looking for the biggest, baddest gun you can shoot with one hand. I'm looking to shoot this baby from the back of a speeding motorcycle.
Current campaign WIP.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <10-18-11/1012:27> »
Ares Predator IV

If Dirty Harry were a street sam, he'd be packing this puppy.

Tonatiuh

• Chummer
  • ˇViva Aztlan!
« Reply #2 on: <10-18-11/1019:28> »
Sweet. Thanks.
Current campaign WIP.

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <10-18-11/1020:15> »
Ruger Thunderbolt!  Burst firing ares predator basically.

Tonatiuh

• Chummer
  • ˇViva Aztlan!
« Reply #4 on: <10-18-11/1024:01> »
What's the advantage of burst fire? I've never had luck with it...
Current campaign WIP.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-18-11/1139:41> »
There's a "short list" of good guns, depending what you want.

Morissey Elan: gets past MAD, very concealable

Yamaha Sakura Fubuki: Light Pistol and can do fully compensated narrow/narrow, no mods needed. If you just care about Stick-and-Shock, best gun.

Ruger Thunderbolt: Heavy Pistol, you have to mod it, but it is the only heavy pistol that can hit 5 recoil compensation (enough for two bursts with no penalty) without the user having inherent RC. Better than the YSF for non-SNS.

Ares Viper Slivergun: narrow niche - if you have inherent recoil compensation (such as from a cyberarm gyromount or very high strength), you can get 5 RC on it. It can only fire slivers, but unlike the other burst-firing pistols, it can fire wide as well as narrow. It's strictly worse than the Ruger in every situation but wanting to do wide bursts.

Ruger Super Warhawk: niche use of destroying vehicles, since it has high base damage and Armor Piercing. You can mod it to have burst-fire, but you need a whole lot of inherent RC to actually use the burst-fire, and it doesn't hold enough ammo for it to be really useful.

There's a few other guns with super-niche uses, like the PSK-3 collapsible pistol, the Lightfire's super-silencer, and tasers (the main reason to use tasers over SnS is that tasers are legal, not restricted).

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-18-11/1225:04> »
a real, passionate gunslinger has them all!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #7 on: <10-18-11/1237:11> »
All depends on what you're hunting.  Also depends on how often you need to replace it...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #8 on: <10-18-11/1246:13> »
The best pistol is whatever you've got in your hand right now.

-k

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <10-18-11/1248:18> »
*Looks at what I have in my hand*  That's not a pistol.

It's not a gun either, get your heads out of the gutter.  It's my computer's mouse!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

jonathanc

• Omae
  • All cruelty springs from weakness.
« Reply #10 on: <10-18-11/1253:12> »
Ares Predator IV

If Dirty Harry were a street sam, he'd be packing this puppy.
Seriously, I've yet to run across a good reason for any character I build to not have an Ares Predator IV. They're cheap, they already have a smartgun system, and it does good, heavy pistol damage. The only Pistol with higher damage is the Ruger Super Warhawk, right? And you'd have to pay to have that one modded for Smartgun use.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <10-18-11/1305:33> »
The fact that so many security guards have had Predators pulled on them for over 20-years that they're starting to get immune to the intimidation value of them?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

jonathanc

• Omae
  • All cruelty springs from weakness.
« Reply #12 on: <10-18-11/1306:32> »
The fact that so many security guards have had Predators pulled on them for over 20-years that they're starting to get immune to the intimidation value of them?
The Predator has a built-in feature for dealing with that problem - the trigger. :)

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #13 on: <10-18-11/1400:21> »
Ruger Thunderbolt: Heavy Pistol, you have to mod it, but it is the only heavy pistol that can hit 5 recoil compensation (enough for two bursts with no penalty) without the user having inherent RC. Better than the YSF for non-SNS.

Ares Viper Slivergun: narrow niche - if you have inherent recoil compensation (such as from a cyberarm gyromount or very high strength), you can get 5 RC on it. It can only fire slivers, but unlike the other burst-firing pistols, it can fire wide as well as narrow. It's strictly worse than the Ruger in every situation but wanting to do wide bursts.

Am I missing something, or are you modding these for Full-Auto?  Why 5 points of RC?

Quote from: SR4A, 152
Burst-fire weapons receive a –2 recoil modifier for the first burst fired in that Action Phase and –3 for the second.

I don't see where those modifiers are cumulative, since each modifier is called out as a modifier for a particular burst (see also the table on the same page).
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #14 on: <10-18-11/1408:31> »
The Predator has a built-in feature for dealing with that problem - the trigger. :)
+1 for making me snort in laughter at work.