NEWS

Anti-Dragon Counter Measure

• 29 Replies

JimJungle

• Chummer
  • I Keep My Ham Sliding...
« on: <08-25-11/0043:19> »
So. In the world of SR, there are many countries all fighting each other for varoius reasons. Some of these countries/corperations have dragons on their side or payroll or whatever. Many do not. This leads me to believe that those without would be doing thier best to build/create/train some thing or things to counter the awesome power of a Great Dragon. Now I know that it is possible for a highly skilled team of Runners or the corp equivalent to, in the right circumstances, bring down a Great. But those chances are slim at best. It is my belief that many nervous and paranoid megas and countries would be working for years to counter the Greats. Which leads to this:

[attachment deleted by admin]

JimJungle

• Chummer
  • I Keep My Ham Sliding...
« Reply #1 on: <08-25-11/0049:02> »
Having read some but not all of the books about gear and drones, this should be entierly possible. Expensive, but possible. It would basically be a drone the size of a dragon with enough firepower to stand toe to toe. My fellow denizens of the shadows, is this doable? More importantly, why havent we heard of such a thing? I am currently working on a story line that involves a A.D.C.M. that goes berserk for unkown reasons. Like Appleseed. Comments? Questions? Ideas? Rebuttals? The only thing i see holding back the production of Mega-Drones is resources. This is a Riggers wet dream...

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #2 on: <08-25-11/0050:20> »
I see you walker and raise you one hell of a big tank:

Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-25-11/0101:08> »
Annnnnnd Force 100 Power Bolt.

Pyromaster13

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <08-25-11/0653:11> »
I find it ironic how in the core book it tells you that an idiot with a meduim machine gun and enough time can even take down a dragon, given enough time and wasn't killed outright.  But looking at the stats of the great dragons from street legends and seeing a magic rating of 27...  You're gonna need a bigger gun.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-25-11/0742:58> »
Lofwyr is pretty much just a glass cannon. The way to take down dragons is going to be small, flying drones with miniguns who pew pew them into oblivion from 2 kilometers away.

It always annoys me how a certain proportion of the writers/fans just have a massive, massive dragon fetish and want dragons (and immortal elves) to be invincible gods at whose feet they can worship. The game world really works a lot better if Lofwyr is dangerous because he's a CEO who has a long lifespan and is really smart, rather than because he can do a bellyflop on you for 30P.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: <08-25-11/1153:24> »
I find it ironic how in the core book it tells you that an idiot with a meduim machine gun and enough time can even take down a dragon, given enough time and wasn't killed outright.  But looking at the stats of the great dragons from street legends and seeing a magic rating of 27...  You're gonna need a bigger gun.
That's dragon, small "d".

We have stats for Great Dragons.  Capitals are important in this case.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #7 on: <08-25-11/1306:11> »
@CanRay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1000_Ratte
German Engineerin at it's best!
And if that's not enough:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1500_Monster

Dragons can be countered with Dragons.
Ares Great Dragon ATGM. Get a Hit in, Dragon goes Splat.
« Last Edit: <08-25-11/1318:20> by Stahlseele »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #8 on: <08-25-11/1447:53> »
I want a 800mm cannon now.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

MikeW

• Freelancer
  • Newb
« Reply #9 on: <08-25-11/1504:36> »
Not to give anything away, but I will be addressing this very issue in a couple of upcoming products. This is all I can say for now. 
Mike Wich, SR Freelancer
10 Jackpointers
Sixth World Almanac
03-10 Spin Control
War!
Street Legends
Artifacts Unbound
Conspiracy Theories
Horizon Adventure #3

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #10 on: <08-25-11/1507:10> »
Not to give anything away, but I will be addressing this very issue in a couple of upcoming products. This is all I can say for now.
The fact that I want an 800mm Cannon?

I'm in *CANADA* you know, right?  They don't even want me to have a bolt-action 7.62mm Deer Rifle!  (Hell, they don't want me to have a Bolt-Action .22!).

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <08-25-11/1507:50> »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <08-25-11/1510:15> »
I see you that and raise you a bored Canadian.

See what happens when we're not allowed to play with firearms?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

MikeW

• Freelancer
  • Newb
« Reply #13 on: <08-25-11/1516:03> »
The fact that I want an 800mm Cannon?.

The issue of anti-dragon countermeasures.  Though an 800mm Cannon would be cool too.   :)

Mike Wich, SR Freelancer
10 Jackpointers
Sixth World Almanac
03-10 Spin Control
War!
Street Legends
Artifacts Unbound
Conspiracy Theories
Horizon Adventure #3

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <08-25-11/1522:24> »
I see you that and raise you a bored Canadian.

See what happens when we're not allowed to play with firearms?
i actually knew about those, but i don't consider fixed gun emplacements in such a discussion ^^