Liminal Body Questions

• 6 Replies

Krindi

• Newb
« on: <09-29-15/1653:27> »
Liminal Body - Centaur
The user's running speed is doubled.

Skimmers
[T]he skimmers allow the user to move at double their normal walking or running speed when engaged.

Digigrade legs
[The user's] running speed multiplier is increased by 1 for each pair

Normal run rate is Agility x4

Centaur
Double to Agility x8

Digigrade Legs, 1 pair
Increase to Agility x5

Skimmers
Double to Agility x8

Centaur + Digigrade Legs, 2 pair
increase to x5 first pair, x6 for second pair, double to x12 for Centaur?
OR
double to x8, increase to x9, increase to x10?

Skimmers + Centaur
Is normal running speed x8, so skimmers double to x16?  Or is normal running speed x4, pick either skimmers or centaur to double to x8?  Or is the multiplication additive, so "double" means "add the base amount again" so double +4 to x8, and double again +4 to x12?

Skimmers + Centaur + Digigrade Legs, 2 pair
?

Add in Movement critter power from a spirit?
The critter can multiply or divide the target's movement rate by up to its Magic attribute.  This appears to be applied to the final, so for easy math a MAG 10 spirit taken on the x12 result above would become Agility x120?

Semi-related question, how does Liminal Body - Centaur interact with Redliner?
Is the Liminal body 2 full cyberlegs, or does the liminal body hold 4 full cyberlegs?  If the latter, what happens if you have 4 full cyberlegs and 2 full cyberarms?  As now you're getting capped at the maximum of +2 on stats but there isn't a corresponding cap on the Physical Condition Monitor box penalty.

Liminal Body - Wheeled or Tank
What "limbs" does this have?  Do I simply purchase STR and AGI customization/enhancements a single time for the unit?  Or do I need to purchase two "legs" and just call them wheels or treads?

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-29-15/1833:40> »
Centaur already have digitigrade legs.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-29-15/1847:39> »
Then that should be fine for upgrading to Digigrade Legs, which the Centaur Body has no restrictions on upgrading to.

The cyberlegs may each be modified as normal, but remember to average all four!

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #3 on: <09-30-15/1800:12> »
I would go with a path of "multiply before you add" (ie: A +1 to the run multiplier and a x2 to the run multiplier would work out to be 4 x 2 = 8 + 1 = 9, rather then 4 + 1 = 5 x 2 = 10).
Also go with "multipliers increase by a factor of one, rather then building exponentialy" (ie: A x2 from one piece of gear and a x2 from another would be a x3. 4 x 3 = 12, rather then 4 x 2 = 8 x 2 = 16)

Works out a bit more balanced that way I think.

As for Redliner, Liminal seems to count as having four legs with the tauric body, but it's vauge on the other two. I would say put a cap on the box loss from redliner, or possibly just treat the system as one pair of limbs (despite the four legged taur bodies weird wording over legs)

For the customization of the wheeled/tracked, I'd count them as having two "legs" and go from there.

Centaur already have digitigrade legs.

Actually, while the tauric Liminal body seems to imply the use of kid stealth style legs, it's not said anywhere that it does. Horses also have a leg style known as unguligrade rather then digitigrade, giving them a lot of speed and power, but little in the way of the subtly you'll see in the digitigrade leg style, or even the plantagrade style metahumans have.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <09-30-15/1927:47> »
That just means they walk on the tips of their toes rather than just their toes.  Since we're talking about speed, it applies.  My point is you won't get any faster with digitigrade legs because that is already factored into being a centaur.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <09-30-15/2009:34> »
because that is already factored into being a centaur
You're welcome to show where Chrome Flesh supports your position, Joe, but I haven't seen anything that would suggest this isn't simply charging full speed into homebrew territory.

I would go with a path of "multiply before you add" (ie: A +1 to the run multiplier and a x2 to the run multiplier would work out to be 4 x 2 = 8 + 1 = 9, rather then 4 + 1 = 5 x 2 = 10).
Last I checked, (it may be different in this case ... but I doubt it) the standard practice is to use the base value for division or multiplication. It prevents opinions forming over the correct order of operations.

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #6 on: <09-30-15/2234:40> »
Last I checked, (it may be different in this case ... but I doubt it) the standard practice is to use the base value for division or multiplication. It prevents opinions forming over the correct order of operations.

If I'm understanding you right, I agree with you. I may have messed up my example but I'm too tired to number right now. I just kinda fell back on 40k rules as they seemed to work pretty well for just such issues.

That just means they walk on the tips of their toes rather than just their toes.  Since we're talking about speed, it applies.  My point is you won't get any faster with digitigrade legs because that is already factored into being a centaur.

Kinda, but not quite. It is different enough to have a classification all on it's own. That style of leg structure that is fairly unique to Ungulate species. Digitigrade and Plantigrade are far more common in the animal kingdom and, unless you're an equestrian, the two types your likely to have encountered in normal life. Short of trying not to hit deer on the road at night.